Showing that equality of complex numbers implies that they lie on the same ray

In summary, complex numbers are numbers expressed in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit. To show that two complex numbers are equal, their real and imaginary parts must be equal. When two complex numbers lie on the same ray, it means they lie on the same line in the complex plane with equal angles and distance from the origin. Proving equality of complex numbers implies that they lie on the same ray is important for better understanding and visualizing complex numbers in the complex plane, and for proving other properties and relationships involving them.
kalish1
This problem has been on my mind for a while.

----------
**Problem:**

Show that **if**
\begin{equation}
|z_1+z_2+\dots+z_n| = |z_1| + |z_2| + \dots + |z_n|
\end{equation}
**then** $z_k/z_{\ell} \ge 0$ for any integers $k$ and $\ell$, $1 \leq k, \ell \leq n,$ for which $z_{\ell} \ne 0.$

----------
**Proposed solution:**
For the base case $n = 2,$ we want to find a condition for which $|z_1+z_2| = |z_1|+|z_2|.$ From the book and class discussions, we see that equality occurs if $z_1$ and $z_2$ are collinear. Now assume the statement is true for $n=m.$ That is, assume:
\begin{equation}
|z_1+z_2+\dots+z_m| = |z_1| + |z_2| + \dots + |z_m|
\end{equation}
if and only if $z_k/z_{\ell} \ge 0$ for all $1 \le k,\ell \le m$ when $z_{\ell} \neq 0.$

Let $m \ge 2.$ We need to show:
\begin{equation}
|z_1+z_2+\dots+z_m+z_{m+1}| = |z_1| + |z_2| + \dots + |z_m| + |z_{m+1}|
\end{equation}
if and only if $z_k/z_{\ell} \ge 0$ for all $1 \le k,\ell \le m+1$ when $z_{\ell} \neq 0.$

Let $z=z_1+\ldots+z_m.$ We have $$|z_1 + \ldots + z_{m+1}| = |z + z_{m+1}| \overset{(1)}{\leq} |z| + |z_{m+1}| \overset{(2)}{\leq} |z_1| + \ldots + |z_m| + |z_{m+1}|$$

$(1)$: Equality holds if and only if $z/z_{m+1} \ge 0$ when $z_{m+1} \neq 0$ (according to the base case)

$(2)$: Equality holds if and only if $z_k/z_{\ell} \ge 0$ for all $1 \le k,\ell \le m$ when $z_{\ell} \neq 0$ (according to the induction hypothesis)

So what we have so far is:
$$|z_1 + \ldots + z_{m+1}| = |z_1| + \ldots + |z_{m+1}|$$ if and only if

**$\dfrac{z_1 + \ldots + z_m}{z_{m+1}} \ge 0,$ when $z_{m+1} \neq 0,$ and $z_k/z_{\ell} \ge 0$ for all $1 \le k,\ell \le m,$ when $z_{\ell} \neq 0.$**

We need to show $\mathrm{bold \ statement} \implies z_k/z_{\ell} \ge 0 \ \mathrm{for \ all} \ 1 \le k,\ell \le m+1 \ \mathrm{when} \ z_{\ell} \neq 0.$

Assume $\mathrm{bold \ statement}$ holds. We need to show $z_k/z_{\ell} \ge 0$ for $\ell=m+1$ and $1 \le k \le m+1$ (when $z_{m+1} \neq 0$).

When $k=m+1,$ we have $z_{k}/z_{m+1}=z_{m+1}/z_{m+1}=1 \ge 0.$ Assume now that $k \le m.$ Assume that $z_{k} \neq 0.$

From $\mathrm{bold \ statement}$ we know that $z_1/z_k \ge 0, \ldots, z_m/z_k \ge 0$ implies $\dfrac{z_1+ \ldots +z_m}{z_k} \ge 0.$ Note that $$\dfrac{z_1+ \ldots +z_m}{z_k} = 0 \iff z_1 = \dots = z_m = 0.$$ But since $z_k \neq 0,$ we have $\dfrac{z_1+ \ldots +z_m}{z_k} \neq 0.$

Thus
$$\dfrac{z_k}{z_{m+1}} = \underbrace{\dfrac{z_1+\ldots+z_m}{z_{m+1}}}_{\ge 0 \ \mathrm{bold \ statement}}\cdot\dfrac{z_k}{z_1+\ldots+z_m} \ge 0.$$

----------
I wrote this solution, but my teacher did not approve of it, saying that there is too much extraneous information that doesn't answer the problem.

## How can I solve the problem with the following information:
$z_k = t_kz_1,$ for $z_1 \neq 0,$ so that $z_k$ and $z_1$ lie on the same ray for every $k?$

Thanks for any help.

This question has been crossposted here: http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/1200965/showing-that-equality-of-complex-numbers-implies-that-they-lie-on-the-same-ray

Physics news on Phys.org
kalish said:
This problem has been on my mind for a while.

----------
**Problem:**

Show that **if**
\begin{equation}
|z_1+z_2+\dots+z_n| = |z_1| + |z_2| + \dots + |z_n|
\end{equation}
**then** $z_k/z_{\ell} \ge 0$ for any integers $k$ and $\ell$, $1 \leq k, \ell \leq n,$ for which $z_{\ell} \ne 0.$

----------
Without reading it through in fine detail, I have the impression that your argument is essentially correct. But it can certainly be considerably shortened. I think that what your teacher has in mind is something like this: $$| z_1 + z_2 + \ldots + z_n|^2 = (z_1 + z_2 + \ldots + z_n)(\bar z_1 + \bar z_2 + \ldots + \bar z_n) = \sum_{j=1}^n|z_j|^2 + \sum_{1\leqslant j<k\leqslant n}2\text{re}(z_j\bar z_k),$$ where the bars denote complex conjugates. But $\text{re}(z_j\bar z_k) \leqslant |z_j||z_k|$, with equality only if $z_j$ and $z_k$ lie on the same ray (that is essentially the result for the base case $n=2$). Therefore $$| z_1 + z_2 + \ldots + z_n|^2 \leqslant \sum_{j=1}^n|z_j|^2 + \sum_{1\leqslant j<k\leqslant n}2 |z_j||z_k| = \bigl(|z_1| + |z_2| + \ldots + |z_n|\bigr)^2,$$ with equality only if all the $z_j$ lie on the same ray. Now all you have to do is to take the square root of both sides, to get the result.

Related to Showing that equality of complex numbers implies that they lie on the same ray

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that are expressed in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit, which is equal to the square root of -1.

2. How can we show that two complex numbers are equal?

To show that two complex numbers are equal, we must show that their real parts are equal and their imaginary parts are also equal. This can be done through basic algebraic manipulation.

3. What does it mean for complex numbers to lie on the same ray?

Two complex numbers lying on the same ray means that they lie on the same line in the complex plane, with the same angle and distance from the origin. This also implies that their arguments (or angles) are equal.

4. How can we prove that equality of complex numbers implies that they lie on the same ray?

We can prove this by first showing that if two complex numbers are equal, then their arguments (or angles) must also be equal. Then, we can use the definition of a ray to show that if two complex numbers have the same argument, they must lie on the same ray.

5. Why is it important to understand the relationship between equality and lying on the same ray for complex numbers?

Understanding this relationship allows us to better visualize and work with complex numbers in the complex plane. It also helps us to understand and prove other properties and relationships involving complex numbers, such as multiplication and division.