Showing that a ring is an integral domain

In summary, the goal is to show that ##\mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{d}] = \{a+b \sqrt{d} \ | \ a,b,d \in \mathbb{Z} \}## is an integral domain. This can be done by showing that there are no zero divisors, which can be proven through a contradiction argument. Additionally, it can be shown that this integral domain is actually a field by demonstrating that every non-zero element has a multiplicative inverse. This will also show that the ring is well-defined.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Show that ##\mathbb{Z} [\sqrt{d}] = \{a+b \sqrt{d} \ | \ a,b,d \in \mathbb{Z} \}## is an integral domain

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Do I have to go through all of the axioms to do this? For example, do I have to show that it is an abelian group under addition, that multiplication is associative, and that the distributive property holds, on top of showing that multiplication is commutative and that there is a multiplicative identity and that there are no zero divisors?
This would seem like a lot of unnecessary, but easy, work, so I was wondering if there is a faster way.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, most of these attributes are quite obvious by the arithmetic rules in this ring. The essential part here is to see, that you don't get zero divisors from such extensions. If you want to go the long way, then you have to do it, but only for terms with ##\sqrt{d}## in it, the rest is inherited from ##\mathbb{Z}##. Since ##d \in \mathbb{Z}##, the shortest answer is probably ##\mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{d}] \subseteq \mathbb{R}##. But it makes sense to convince yourself that ##\mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{d}]## hasn't zero divisors, which is short enough to do and shows which properties of ##\mathbb{Z}## are actually used, in case a ring isn't the integers.

fresh_42 said:
Well, most of these attributes are quite obvious by the arithmetic rules in this ring. The essential part here is to see, that you don't get zero divisors from such extensions. If you want to go the long way, then you have to do it, but only for terms with ##\sqrt{d}## in it, the rest is inherited from ##\mathbb{Z}##. Since ##d \in \mathbb{Z}##, the shortest answer is probably ##\mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{d}] \subseteq \mathbb{R}##. But it makes sense to convince yourself that ##\mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{d}]## hasn't zero divisors, which is short enough to do and shows which properties of ##\mathbb{Z}## are actually used, in case a ring isn't the integers.
If I am trying to show that ##\mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{d}]## has no divisors, do I proceed by a contradiction argument, such as, assume that ##(a+b \sqrt{d})(c + e \sqrt{d}) = 0##, and show that ##a=b=c=e=0##?

Mr Davis 97 said:
If I am trying to show that ##\mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{d}]## has no [ed.: zero] divisors, do I proceed by a contradiction argument, such as, assume that ##(a+b \sqrt{d})(c + e \sqrt{d}) = 0##, and show that ##a=b=c=e=0##?
Yes. And if you do it step by step, you see the properties of the integers which are needed, e.g. it isn't true for ##\mathbb{Z}_6[\sqrt{d}]##.

fresh_42 said:
Yes. And if you do it step by step, you see the properties of the integers which are needed, e.g. it isn't true for ##\mathbb{Z}_6[\sqrt{d}]##.
Well if I expand it out and compare the two sides I get the two equations ac + bed = 0 and ae + bc = 0, but I don't see how this shows that a = b = c = e = 0

Mr Davis 97 said:
Well if I expand it out and compare the two sides I get the two equations ac + bed = 0 and ae + bc = 0, but I don't see how this shows that a = b = c = e = 0

This integral domain is actually a field. You should be able to show every non-zero element has a multiplicative inverse. That would show that it's an integral domain.

Dick said:
This integral domain is actually a field. You should be able to show every non-zero element has a multiplicative inverse. That would show that it's an integral domain.
I don't see how every element has an inverse. For example, what is the inverse of ##2+\sqrt{2}##? It can't be ##1-\frac{1}{2} \sqrt{2}##, because ##1/2## is not an integer.

Mr Davis 97 said:
I don't see how every element has an inverse. For example, what is the inverse of ##2+\sqrt{2}##? It can't be ##1-\frac{1}{2} \sqrt{2}##, because ##1/2## is not an integer.

Oh right, sorry. I forgot you were working over the integers, not the rationals. Nevertheless, if there are no zero divisors over the rationals, there won't be over the integers. Correct?

So how can I show that there are no zero divisors?

You have ##ac + bed = 0## and ##ae + bc = 0##. What does this mean for ##ace##?

Mr Davis 97 said:
So how can I show that there are no zero divisors?

Pick an arbitrary nonzero element of the ring and write down its inverse. Say why it's always well-defined.

Last edited:

Related to Showing that a ring is an integral domain

1. What is an integral domain?

An integral domain is a commutative ring in which the product of any two nonzero elements is also nonzero. This means that there are no zero divisors in the ring, and therefore every nonzero element has a unique multiplicative inverse.

2. How do you show that a ring is an integral domain?

To show that a ring is an integral domain, we need to prove that it satisfies the definition of an integral domain. This involves showing that every pair of nonzero elements in the ring has a nonzero product, and that there are no zero divisors in the ring.

3. What are some common examples of integral domains?

Some common examples of integral domains include the integers, rational numbers, real numbers, and complex numbers. Polynomial rings over a field are also integral domains.

4. Can a finite ring be an integral domain?

Yes, a finite ring can be an integral domain. A simple example is the ring of integers modulo a prime number. However, not all finite rings are integral domains, as some may contain zero divisors.

5. Why is it important to show that a ring is an integral domain?

Showing that a ring is an integral domain is important because it tells us that the ring has nice algebraic properties, such as the existence of unique factorization and the ability to do calculations with fractions. This allows us to generalize results from familiar number systems, such as the integers, to more abstract rings.