Showing rearrangement in maths paper

• B
  • Thread starter Einstein's Cat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paper
In summary, the conversation is about how to formally represent and show the process of rearranging an equation, specifically making "b" the subject in the equation a+b=c. The expert recommends using the <=> symbol or writing out the steps in words to show the rearrangement.
Einstein's Cat
I am currently writing my first mathematics paper but I don't know how to formally represent and show the process of rearranging a certain equation; for example what symbols would I use etc..?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Einstein's Cat said:
I am currently writing my first mathematics paper but I don't know how to formally represent and show the process of rearranging a certain equation; for example what symbols would I use etc..?
Without more specifics, your question is too vague to answer.

If your question here is related to a recent post about solving the equation Ax + By + C = 0 for one of the variables, the best thing to do is to forget symbols, and just say in words what you're doing at each step.

Last edited by a moderator:
Einstein's Cat said:
findX.jpg

Mark44 said:
Without more specifics, your question is too vague to answer.
Say I have an equation of a+b= c and I intend to make b the subject then I'll just subtract a from both sides of the equation giving b= c- a; how would I show this rearrangement in a paper mathematically and formally?

Einstein's Cat said:
Say I have an equation of a+b= c and I intend to make b the subject then I'll just subtract a from both sides of the equation giving b= c- a; how would I show this rearrangement in a paper mathematically and formally?
a + b = c
=> b = c - a

or you can use the <=> too in this case.

Einstein's Cat said:
At school we used
##a+b=c\; \vert \, -a##
##b = c-a##

Related to Showing rearrangement in maths paper

1. What is rearrangement in math?

Rearrangement in math refers to changing the order or position of mathematical elements, such as numbers, variables, or operators, to solve a problem or simplify an expression.

2. How do you show rearrangement in a math paper?

Rearrangement can be shown in a math paper by clearly indicating the steps taken to rearrange the elements, such as writing out the original expression and then showing each step of rearrangement with an equal sign in between.

3. Why is rearrangement important in math?

Rearrangement is important in math because it allows us to manipulate and simplify complex expressions, making them easier to solve or work with. It also helps us find alternative forms of an expression that may be more useful for a particular problem.

4. What are some common techniques used for rearrangement in math?

Some common techniques used for rearrangement in math include combining like terms, factoring, expanding brackets, using the distributive property, and solving equations for a specific variable.

5. Are there any rules or guidelines for rearrangement in math?

Yes, there are some general rules and guidelines for rearrangement in math, such as maintaining the equality of an expression, keeping track of signs, and ensuring that the order of operations is followed. It is also important to double-check the answer to ensure that it is equivalent to the original expression.