Showing momentum will be conserved in moving reference frame

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of proving momentum conservation in both a still and moving reference frame for two colliding balls with given masses and initial velocities. The solution involves transforming the initial and final velocities to the moving frame using Galilean transformations and considering both energy and momentum conservation principles.
briteliner

Homework Statement

the question gives me the masses and initial velocities of two balls which collide elastically and asks me to prove that it the momentum will be conserved in both a still reference frame and a moving one.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i know that the momentum will be conserved in the moving frame because the final velocities will account for the change in the initial once due to the added velocity, however i don't know how to prove this without being given the final velocities.

Physics news on Phys.org
oh do i need to use lorentz transformations?

You have the initial and final velocities of everything in one frame (or you can figure them out). Transform those to the moving frame and see if things are still conserved. (I'd use Galilean transformations.)

I don't have the final velocities in the still frame though so how am I supposed to convert them? And I wouldn't I have to be given one of the final velocies? I have two unknowns and 1 formula

You have two unknowns and two conservation principles.

you mean energy and momentum? wouldn't they both give me the same thing since they both use m and v?

nevermind i got it thanks a lot

Related to Showing momentum will be conserved in moving reference frame

1. How is momentum conserved in a moving reference frame?

In a moving reference frame, momentum is conserved because the total momentum of a closed system remains constant regardless of its position or velocity. This means that the sum of all individual momenta in the system before and after any interaction must be equal.

2. What is a reference frame in terms of momentum conservation?

A reference frame is a coordinate system used to describe the motion of a physical system. In the context of momentum conservation, a reference frame is used to measure the momentum of objects and determine if it is conserved or not.

3. How does Newton's third law relate to the conservation of momentum in a moving reference frame?

Newton's third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when two objects interact, their momenta will change in opposite directions. In a moving reference frame, this change in momentum will still be conserved, even though the objects may have different velocities.

4. Can momentum be conserved in a non-inertial reference frame?

No, momentum is only conserved in an inertial reference frame, which is a reference frame that is not accelerating. In a non-inertial reference frame, there may be external forces acting on the system, causing a change in momentum and violating the principle of conservation.

5. What is the significance of momentum conservation in a moving reference frame?

Momentum conservation is a fundamental principle in physics that helps us understand and predict the behavior of objects in motion. In a moving reference frame, it allows us to accurately analyze and describe the motion of objects despite their changing velocities and positions.