Showing functions form a basis

In summary, the functions po(t)=1, p1(t)=t, p2(t)=1/2(3t2-1), and p3(t)=(3/2)*[(5/3)t3-t) form a basis for the vector space P3(R) as they are linearly independent and span the space. This is proven by showing that each function has a unique representation as a linear combination of the four polynomials.
gpax42

Homework Statement

Show that the functions po(t)=1, p1(t)=t, p2(t)=1/2(3t2-1), and p3(t)=(3/2)*[(5/3)t3-t) also form a basis for the vector space P3(R) ... "R" meaning all real numbers

Homework Equations

I know these polynomials are the first four Legendre polynomials

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that proving functions form a basis involves proving that each funciton has a unique representation as a linear combination... I'm not certain on what this means exactly but I'm trying my best to figure it out... here's my work so far on the problem

a(1) + b(t) + c/2(3t2-1) + d/2(5t3-3t) = a + bt + ct2 + dt3

at t=0 ; -c/2 = 0 ; so c=0

a + b(t) + d/2(5t3-3t)=0
at t=0 ; a=0
at t=1 ; b=-d
at t=2 ; -2d + d/2(34) = 15d = 0 ; d=0 ; b=0

so the legendre polynomials are a linearly independent set at; 1/2 + t - 3/2t + 3/2t2 +5/3t3 = 1/2-1/2t+3/2t2+5/3t3
; a polynomial in the span of P(R) that forms a basis

thanks in advance for any advice you have to offer me :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
gpax42 said:
I know that proving functions form a basis involves proving that each funciton has a unique representation as a linear combination... I'm not certain on what this means exactly but I'm trying my best to figure it out... here's my work so far on the problem

a(1) + b(t) + c/2(3t2-1) + d/2(5t3-3t) = a + bt + ct2 + dt3
To show linear independence, you want to set the righthand side to zero and show that requires a=b=c=d=0.

You also need to show the four polynomials span P3(R). This time, you want the righthand side to be an arbitrary 3rd-degree polynomial -- so don't use a, b, c, and d that appear on the lefthand side on the righthand side -- and show you can solve for a, b, c, and d.

Ok, so you want to show a+b*t+c*t^2+d*t^3 has a unique representation of the form A*p0(t)+B*p1(t)+C*p2(t)+D*p3(t). That means you just want to find A, B, C, and D in terms of a, b, c and d, right? You really don't have to put t values in. You know a+b*t+c*t^2+d*t^3=a'+b'*t+c'*t^2+d'*t^3 only if a=a', b=b', c=c' and d=d', yes? So just start at the top. What is the relation between d and D?

is it D = dt2/[(5/2)t2-(3/2)]

gpax42 said:
is it D = dt2/[(5/2)t2-(3/2)]

Nooo. D is supposed to be constant. Expand the Legendre side and equate the cubic terms.

Since [itex]\{ 1, x, x^2\}[/itex] form a basis for P3, you know that it has dimension 3. That, in turn, tells you that any independent set of three functions will be a basis. After you have shown that the given functions are independent, you don't have to show that they span the space.

Last edited by a moderator:
ooo alright, thanks for all the helpful explanations =D

Related to Showing functions form a basis

1. What is a basis in linear algebra?

A basis in linear algebra is a set of vectors that can be used to represent any vector in a vector space. This means that any vector in the vector space can be written as a linear combination of the basis vectors.

2. How do you determine if a set of functions form a basis?

To determine if a set of functions form a basis, you can use the linear independence and spanning properties. The functions must be linearly independent, meaning that none of the functions can be written as a linear combination of the others. Additionally, the functions must span the entire vector space, meaning that any vector in the space can be written as a linear combination of the functions.

3. Can a set of functions form a basis for more than one vector space?

Yes, a set of functions can form a basis for more than one vector space. As long as the functions satisfy the properties of linear independence and spanning, they can be used as a basis for any vector space that they span.

4. Are there any limitations on the number of functions that can form a basis?

There are no specific limitations on the number of functions that can form a basis. However, for a vector space with dimension n, a basis can have at most n vectors. If there are more than n linearly independent functions in the set, they cannot all be part of the basis.

5. How can showing that a set of functions form a basis be useful in practical applications?

Showing that a set of functions form a basis can be useful in practical applications as it allows for a more efficient way to represent vectors in a vector space. By using a basis, computations and calculations can be simplified and made more accurate. This is especially useful in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics where vector spaces are commonly used.