Showing a sequence converges to its supremum

In summary, the question raises the issue of finding a sequence in a set that converges to the supremum of the set. While this may be true for some sets, it is not true for all sets, as shown by the counterexample provided. The questioner may need to clarify the definition of convergence and how it relates to the supremum in order for a complete solution to be provided.
Matt B.

Homework Statement

: [/B]Let a = sup S. Show that there is a sequence x1, x2, ... ∈ S such that xn converges to a.

Homework Equations

: [/B]I know the definition of a supremum and convergence but how do I utilize these together?

The Attempt at a Solution

:[/B] Given a = sup S. We know that a = sup S if: 1) a ∈ S and a is called an upper bound, and 2) if b is also an upper bound, then b ≥ a. Since a = sup S, given ε>0 and the xn ∈ S, we know that a - ε < xn ≤ a since a is a least upper bound. This means that since xn ∈ S and a = sup S, that xn can never exceed the value of a, given as sup S.** I am stuck, any help is beneficial.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try proof by contradiction. First write down the definition of convergence. Then think about what it means if no sequence converges to a. In that case every sequence will have a certain property, and that shared property will challenge the notion that a is a supremum.

Matt B. said:

Homework Statement

: [/B]Let a = sup S. Show that there is a sequence x1, x2, ... ∈ S such that xn converges to a.

Homework Equations

: [/B]I know the definition of a supremum and convergence but how do I utilize these together?

The Attempt at a Solution

:[/B] Given a = sup S. We know that a = sup S if: 1) a ∈ S and a is called an upper bound, and 2) if b is also an upper bound, then b ≥ a. Since a = sup S, given ε>0 and the xn ∈ S, we know that a - ε < xn ≤ a since a is a least upper bound. This means that since xn ∈ S and a = sup S, that xn can never exceed the value of a, given as sup S.** I am stuck, any help is beneficial.

You will have trouble proving this, because it is false. Here is a simple counterexample:
[tex] S = \{1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, \ldots \} [/tex]
We have ##a = \sup S = 1##, but there is no subsequence of ##S## that converges to 1.

Now, if you had been speaking of ##\limsup S## instead of ##\sup S## it would have been a different story.

Ray Vickson said:
You will have trouble proving this, because it is false. Here is a simple counterexample:
[tex] S = \{1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, \ldots \} [/tex]
We have ##a = \sup S = 1##, but there is no subsequence of ##S## that converges to 1.
My interpretation of the OP was that S is a set (ie unordered) not a sequence. There is a sequence in the set [tex] S = \{1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, \ldots \} [/tex] that converges to 1, which is the sequence ##x_n=1\forall n##..

You can consider the case ##a\in S##, in which case the constant sequence works.
For the case ##a\notin S##, you should argue that there is always something in ##S## between ##a-\frac{1}{n}## and ##a##, for ##n## big enough

andrewkirk said:
My interpretation of the OP was that S is a set (ie unordered) not a sequence. There is a sequence in the set [tex] S = \{1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, \ldots \} [/tex] that converges to 1, which is the sequence ##x_n=1\forall n##..

What I wrote was a set, not a sequence, although it might look like one.

Of course the sequence ##x_n = 1 \; \forall \; n## converges to the sup, but I suspect that is not what the questioner had in mind; after all, that would make every point of every set a limit point, and that would more-or-less throw out any or all useful concepts in point-set Topology. Although, to be fair---who knows what the questioner really wanted, or even if the OP stated the problem accurately?

Related to Showing a sequence converges to its supremum

1. What is the definition of supremum?

The supremum of a sequence is the least upper bound, or the smallest number that is greater than or equal to all the elements in the sequence.

2. How do you prove that a sequence converges to its supremum?

In order to prove that a sequence converges to its supremum, you need to show that the sequence is increasing and bounded above by the supremum. This can be done using the definition of supremum and the properties of sequences.

3. Can a sequence have multiple limits that are equal to the supremum?

No, a sequence can only have one limit that is equal to the supremum. This is because the supremum is the smallest number that is greater than or equal to all the elements in the sequence, so any other limit would be smaller and therefore not the supremum.

4. Is it possible for a sequence to have a limit that is not equal to the supremum?

Yes, it is possible for a sequence to have a limit that is not equal to the supremum. This can happen if the sequence is not increasing or if it is not bounded above by the supremum.

5. How does showing a sequence converges to its supremum relate to the concept of convergence?

Showing that a sequence converges to its supremum is a specific case of proving convergence. It demonstrates that the sequence is approaching a specific limit, which in this case is the supremum. This is important in analysis and other fields of mathematics where convergence is a fundamental concept.