Show these functions are 2 pi periodic

In summary: I'm done.In summary, the conversation discussed a problem involving the functions g(t) and h(t) and their periodicity. It was stated that g(t) is equal to half of the sum of f(t) and f(-t), while h(t) is equal to half of the difference of f(t) and f(-t). The problem also involved showing that g(t+2π) and h(t+2π) are equivalent to g(t) and h(t), respectively. Further discussion was had about the role of -t in this problem and the need for f(t) to have a period of 2π for the problem to hold true. An example was provided using the exponential definition of the cosine
bbq pizza
Member warned about posting without the HW template
g(t)=½( f(t)+f(-t) ) h(t)=½( f(t)-f(-t) )
show its 2π periodic so: g(t+2π) = ½( f(t+2π)+f(t-2π) ) why does -t become t-2π ?
½( f(t)+f(-t) ) = g(t)
h(t+2π)=½( f(t+2π)-f(t-2π) )
½( f(t)-f(-t) ) = h(t) is this correct?
can anybody show me some similar examples please?
this is from a Fourier series question paper.
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Of course, this problem is false unless ##f(t) = f(t+2\pi)##, which you haven't told us.

bbq pizza said:
g(t)=½( f(t)+f(-t) ) h(t)=½( f(t)-f(-t) )
show its 2π periodic so: g(t+2π) = ½( f(t+2π)+f(t-2π) ) why does -t become t-2π ?

It doesn't. If you put ##t+2\pi## in for ##t## in ##f(-t)## you get ##f(-(t+2\pi)) = f(-t -2\pi)##. Do you see why the numerator becomes ##f(t)+f(-t)##?

Likes Delta2
An example would be the exponential definition of the cosine function.
##\cos(x) = \frac{1}{2} (e^{ix} + e^{-ix}) ##
This is analogous to your problem for ##g(x)## with ##f(x) = e^{ix}##.
##\cos(x+2\pi) = \frac{1}{2} (e^{i(x+2\pi)} + e^{-i(x+2\pi)})\\
= \frac{1}{2} (e^{ix}e^{i2\pi} +e^{-ix}e^{-i2\pi})\\
= \frac{1}{2} (e^{ix} + e^{-ix})\\
= \cos(x) ##

Hint: prove that if a function has period T, then ##f(x-T)=f(x)## as long as f is defined in x-T.

Last edited:
LCKurtz said:
Of course, this problem is false unless ##f(t) = f(t+2\pi)##,
or maybe the sum of a periodic function and an odd function.

LCKurtz said:
Of course, this problem is false unless ##f(t) = f(t+2\pi)##, which you haven't told us.

haruspex said:
or maybe the sum of a periodic function and an odd function.

Well, I assumed, which was also unstated, that problem was to prove that if ##f## has period ##2\pi##, then when you write ##f = g + h## with ##g## even and ##h## odd, that ##g## and ##h## have period ##2\pi##. In that context I'm not sure what you are suggesting.

And, annoyingly enough and a pet peeve of mine, the OP hasn't returned to the thread to clarify anything

Last edited:

Related to Show these functions are 2 pi periodic

1. What does it mean for a function to be 2 pi periodic?

Being 2 pi periodic means that the function repeats itself every 2 pi radians. This means that the behavior of the function will be the same after every 2 pi radians, creating a pattern that repeats infinitely.

2. How can you show that a function is 2 pi periodic?

To show that a function is 2 pi periodic, you can use the definition of a periodic function which states that f(x + T) = f(x) for all values of x, where T is the period. In this case, T = 2 pi, so you would need to show that f(x + 2 pi) = f(x) for all values of x.

3. Can any function be 2 pi periodic?

No, not all functions are 2 pi periodic. Only functions that exhibit a repeating pattern every 2 pi radians can be considered 2 pi periodic. For example, linear functions and exponential functions are not 2 pi periodic.

4. What are some common examples of 2 pi periodic functions?

Some common examples of 2 pi periodic functions include sine, cosine, tangent, and their inverse functions. These trigonometric functions have a repeating pattern every 2 pi radians, making them 2 pi periodic.

5. Why is it important to show that a function is 2 pi periodic?

Showing that a function is 2 pi periodic can be useful in many applications, particularly in physics and engineering. It allows us to predict the behavior of the function over a wide range of values, and simplifies calculations by reducing the domain of the function to just one period. Additionally, many real-world phenomena exhibit periodic behavior, so understanding 2 pi periodic functions can help us model and analyze these phenomena.