Show that w is solenoidal having spherical polar coordinates

In summary, Homework Equations states that the divergence of the vector field is 0, and that ω is solenoidal.
YogiBear

Homework Statement

The gradient, divergence and curl in spherical polar coordinates r, ∅, Ψ are
nablaΨ = ∂Φ/∂r * er + ∂Φ/∂∅ * e 1/r + ∂Φ/∂Ψ * eΨ * 1/(r*sin(∅))
nabla * a = 1/r * ∂/∂r(r2*ar) + 1/(r*sin(∅)*∂/∂∅[sin(∅)a] + 1/r*sin(∅) * ∂aΨ/∂Ψ
nabla x a =

|er r*e r*sin(∅)*eΨ |
|∂/∂r ∂/∂∅ ∂/dΨ |
| 1/r2*sin(∅) |ar r*a r*sin(∅)*aΨ |

Where a = ar * er + a*e + aΨ*eΨ

Suppose that the vector field w has the form w = wΨ(r, ∅) eΨ Show that w is
solenoidal and find wΨ(r, ∅), when w is also irrotational. Find a potential for w in this case.
hah..PNG

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by finding vector potential. however it seems too simple. (Or most likely id id it wrong). In addition i am not sure, if it is even the right way to about it. I can't put in working out of the vector potential i have, as i have trouble with coding it on the forum(My handwriting is not legible). So you can assume i have got it wrong. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
First.

To show that ω is solenoidal implies that the divergence of the vector field is 0. Thats easy to show:

$$∇·\omega = \frac{1}{r\sin\theta}\; \frac{\partial\omega_\phi(r,\theta)}{\partial\phi}$$

and since the φ component of ω does not depend on φ, it's partial derivative equals 0.

So the vector field is solenoidal.

Second.

We must impose that ×ω=0.
$$∇×\omega=\begin{vmatrix} ê_r & rê_\theta &r\sin\thetaê_\phi \\ \frac{\partial}{\partial r} & \frac{\partial}{\partial \theta}& \frac{\partial}{\partial \phi} \\ 0&0&r\sin\theta\omega_\phi\end{vmatrix} \;=\; ê_r \left[ \frac{\partial\omega_\phi}{\partial \theta}r\cos\theta \right] - ê_\theta \left[ \frac{\partial\omega_\phi}{\partial r}r\sin\theta \right] $$

And this is 0 ∀r,φ if ωφ is not really dependent on θ and r. So ωφ=C (is constant on all variables).

And now I am stuck... I really doubt on this second result. I'm sorry, but I'll wait until someone else come check it. Maybe this help you on finding a path.

Likes YogiBear
marksman95 said:
First.

To show that ω is solenoidal implies that the divergence of the vector field is 0. Thats easy to show:

$$∇·\omega = \frac{1}{r\sin\theta}\; \frac{\partial\omega_\phi(r,\theta)}{\partial\phi}$$

and since the φ component of ω does not depend on φ, it's partial derivative equals 0.

So the vector field is solenoidal.

Second.

We must impose that ×ω=0.
$$∇×\omega=\begin{vmatrix} ê_r & rê_\theta &r\sin\thetaê_\phi \\ \frac{\partial}{\partial r} & \frac{\partial}{\partial \theta}& \frac{\partial}{\partial \phi} \\ 0&0&r\sin\theta\omega_\phi\end{vmatrix} \;=\; ê_r \left[ \frac{\partial\omega_\phi}{\partial \theta}r\cos\theta \right] - ê_\theta \left[ \frac{\partial\omega_\phi}{\partial r}r\sin\theta \right] $$

And this is 0 ∀r,φ if ωφ is not really dependent on θ and r. So ωφ=C (is constant on all variables).

And now I am stuck... I really doubt on this second result. I'm sorry, but I'll wait until someone else come check it. Maybe this help you on finding a path.
20150507_201842.jpg

I have figured out part 2, very similar to part one. Cross multiply the matrix, and we get 0. I think I am getting somewhere on part three as well. Thank you. And your LaTeX skills are too good xD

MMMM... I think you got that rotational wrong. You cannot cancel those partial derivatives inside the determinant.

Those vectors aren't zero, but their associated components.

Also I think you haven't understood the exercice. It doesn't demand you to show that is irrotational, but to assume it is in order to find out what is the function of the phi component.

Likes YogiBear
Of course. I rushed to conclusion without reading question fully...

thanks for the help thought, i would have had it completely wrong otherwise.

Related to Show that w is solenoidal having spherical polar coordinates

1. What does it mean for a vector field to be solenoidal?

A vector field is considered solenoidal if its divergence is equal to zero at every point in space. In other words, the net flow of the vector field into or out of a closed surface is equal to zero.

2. How can we express a vector field in spherical polar coordinates?

In spherical polar coordinates, a vector field can be expressed as a linear combination of three basis vectors: a radial unit vector pointing in the direction of increasing distance from the origin, a polar unit vector pointing in the direction of increasing colatitude, and an azimuthal unit vector pointing in the direction of increasing longitude.

3. How do we determine if a vector field is solenoidal in spherical polar coordinates?

In order to determine if a vector field is solenoidal in spherical polar coordinates, we can use the divergence theorem. If the divergence of the vector field is equal to zero, then the vector field is solenoidal.

4. Can we use the curl to show that a vector field is solenoidal in spherical polar coordinates?

Yes, we can use the curl to show that a vector field is solenoidal in spherical polar coordinates. If the curl of the vector field is equal to zero, then the vector field is solenoidal.

5. What are the advantages of using spherical polar coordinates to show that a vector field is solenoidal?

Spherical polar coordinates are advantageous because they allow us to easily express the components of a vector field in terms of the radial, polar, and azimuthal unit vectors. This makes it easier to determine if the vector field is solenoidal and to perform calculations related to solenoidal vector fields.