Show that this field is orthogonal to each vector field.

In summary, to show that the field ε_{ijkl}a^{i}b^{k}c^{l} is orthogonal to \vec{a}, \vec{b}, and \vec{c}, we can use the fact that the tensor \epsilon_{ijkl} is totally antisymmetric. This means that \epsilon_{ijkl}=-\epsilon_{jikl} and we can swap the indices that we're summing over. So, \epsilon_{jikl} a^i a^j = \epsilon_{ijkl} a^j a^i. After rearranging the indices, we can substitute this into the original expression to show that it equals 0, which proves orthogonality.
gotmilk04

Homework Statement

If a, b, and c are any three vector fields in locally Minkowskain 4-manifold, show that the field ε[itex]_{ijkl}[/itex]a[itex]^{i}[/itex]b[itex]^{k}[/itex]c[itex]^{l}[/itex] is orthogonal to [itex]\vec{a}[/itex], [itex]\vec{b}[/itex], and [itex]\vec{c}[/itex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I have to show that multiplying the field by each individual vector field equals 0, but I don't know how to go about doing this.

Physics news on Phys.org
The tensor [itex]\epsilon_{ijkl}[/itex] is totally antisymmetric. In particular, [itex]\epsilon_{ijkl}=-\epsilon_{jikl}[/itex]. What does that imply about [itex]\epsilon_{ijkl}a^i a^j[/itex]?

So then ε[itex]_{ijkl}[/itex]a[itex]^{i}[/itex]a[itex]^{j}[/itex]= -ε[itex]_{jikl}[/itex]a[itex]^{i}[/itex]a[itex]^{j}[/itex]?

gotmilk04 said:
So then ε[itex]_{ijkl}[/itex]a[itex]^{i}[/itex]a[itex]^{j}[/itex]= -ε[itex]_{jikl}[/itex]a[itex]^{i}[/itex]a[itex]^{j}[/itex]?

Yes, but also note that we can swap the indices that we're summing over:

[itex]\epsilon_{jikl} a^i a^j = \epsilon_{ijkl} a^j a^i .[/itex]

You might want to do this in steps if it's not completely obvious (first change i to m, j to n, then n to i, m to j).

After you figure it out, put it all back together in the expression that you started with.

Related to Show that this field is orthogonal to each vector field.

1. What is the definition of orthogonal vectors?

Orthogonal vectors are two vectors that are perpendicular to each other, meaning they form a 90-degree angle when they intersect.

2. How do you prove that a field is orthogonal to each vector field?

To prove that a field is orthogonal to each vector field, you must show that the dot product between the two fields is equal to zero. This means that the two fields are perpendicular to each other at every point.

3. What does it mean for a field to be orthogonal to each vector field?

When a field is orthogonal to each vector field, it means that the field is perpendicular to every vector in the vector field. This is an important concept in mathematics and physics, as it allows us to understand the relationship between different fields and their directions.

4. What are some examples of fields that are orthogonal to each vector field?

Examples of fields that are orthogonal to each vector field include the electric field and the magnetic field, as well as the gravitational field and the normal force field. In these cases, the fields are perpendicular to the vectors that represent their direction of force.

5. Why is it important to show that a field is orthogonal to each vector field?

Showing that a field is orthogonal to each vector field is important because it helps us understand the relationship between different fields and their directions. It also allows us to make predictions and calculations in various areas of science, such as in electromagnetism and mechanics.