Show that this dephasing operation is Markovian

• Thread starter Pete5876
  • Start date
In summary, the dephasing operation is Markovian when ##E_gE_h = E_{g+h}## and can be simplified using hyperbolic trigonometric functions. The composition of the functions can be expressed as ##E_gE_h = \frac{1+e^{-g}}{2}\frac{1+e^{-h}}{2} \rho^2 + \frac{1-e^{-g}}{2}\frac{1-e^{-h}}{2}Z\rho ZZ\rho Z + \frac{1+e^{-g}}{2}\frac{1-e^{-h}}{2} = \rho Z \rho Z + \frac{1+e^{-g}}
Pete5876
Misplaced Homework Thread
Show that this dephasing operation is Markovian
$$E_t(\rho)=\left(\frac{1+e^{-t}}{2}\right)\rho + \left(\frac{1-e^{-t}}{2}\right)Z\rho Z$$

The operation is supposed to be Markovian when
$$E_g E_h = E_{g+h}$$

So this is what I get when I apply this multiplication
$$
E_g E_h=\frac{1+e^{-g}}{2}\frac{1+e^{-h}}{2} \rho^2 + \frac{1-e^{-g}}{2} \frac{1-e^{h}}{2}Z\rho ZZ\rho Z + \frac{1+e^{-g}}{2} \frac{1-e^{-h}}{2} = \rho Z \rho Z + \frac{1+e^{-g}}{2} \frac{1-e^{-h}}{2} Z \rho Z \rho
$$
We can lose ZZ because
$$ZZ=I$$
but I can't see what else can be done. ρ after all only commutes with Z if it's diagonal but we can't assume that for ρ in general?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have misunderstood the question. ##E_gE_h## means the composition of those functions.
The algebra might be a bit simpler using hyperbolic trig - if you know the formulae for ##\cosh(x+y)## etc.

Last edited:
Likes Pete5876