Show that the system has no closed orbits by finding a Lyapunov

In summary, the system has no closed orbits as it has a non-hyperbolic saddle at the origin and no other fixed points, making it impossible for any periodic orbits to exist.
Jamin2112
Show that the system has no closed orbits by finding a Lyapunov ...

Homework Statement

I'm at the point in the problem where I need constants a and b satisfying

ax2(y-x3) + by2(-x-y3) < 0
and ax2+bx2 > 0

for all (x,y)≠(0,0).

Homework Equations

Just in case you're wondering, this is to satisfy the V(x,y)=ax2+by2 > 0 and ΔV(x,y)•<y-x3, -x-y3> < 0 so I can apply that one theorem to my problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, it seems reasonable to choose a,b>0 to ensure ax2+bx2 > 0, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to make ax2(y-x3) + by2(-x-y3) < 0 simultaneously.

Physics news on Phys.org

For x=y, this can be simplified to ##(a-b)x^3 - (a+b)x^5 <0 ##, which cannot be true both for positive and negative small x.

Jamin2112 said:

Homework Statement

I'm at the point in the problem where I need constants a and b satisfying

ax2(y-x3) + by2(-x-y3) < 0
and ax2+bx2 > 0

for all (x,y)≠(0,0).

You won't be able to do that: on the assumption that [itex]V = ax^2 + by^2[/itex] and [itex]\dot V = ax^2(y - x^3) - by^2(x + y^3)[/itex] your system is
[tex]
\dot x = \textstyle\frac12 x(y - x^3) \\
\dot y = -\textstyle\frac12 y(x + y^3).
[/tex]
The fixed point at the origin is some kind of non-hyperbolic saddle: x = 0 and y = 0 are invariant. On x = 0, [itex]\dot y < 0[/itex] for [itex]y \neq 0[/itex] and on y = 0, [itex]\dot x < 0[/itex] for [itex]x \neq 0[/itex]. Thus there are points arbitrarily close to the origin where motion is unambiguously away from the origin, and at these points [itex]\dot V > 0[/itex].

However, you now know that no periodic orbit can cross the coordinate axes, so the origin cannot be inside a periodic orbit. Since the origin is the only fixed point (any other fixed point must satisfy [itex]x^8 = -1[/itex]), there can be no periodic orbits (because in a 2D system every periodic orbit must enclose at least one fixed point).

Related to Show that the system has no closed orbits by finding a Lyapunov

1. What is a closed orbit?

A closed orbit is a path followed by a system in its phase space that is periodic and repeats itself over time. In other words, the system returns to its initial state after a certain amount of time.

2. What is a Lyapunov function?

A Lyapunov function is a mathematical function that is used to prove the stability of a dynamical system. It measures the distance between the actual trajectory of the system and an imaginary reference trajectory, and shows whether the system is attracted to or repelled from this reference trajectory.

3. How does a Lyapunov function show that a system has no closed orbits?

A Lyapunov function can show that a system has no closed orbits by proving that there is no trajectory that remains bounded within a certain region of the phase space. This means that the system is not attracted towards any specific point or region, and therefore cannot have a closed orbit.

4. Can a system have no closed orbits and still be stable?

Yes, a system can have no closed orbits and still be stable. This is because stability is determined by the behavior of the system over time, not just its trajectory in the phase space. A system can be stable even if it does not have a closed orbit.

5. What are the implications of a system having no closed orbits?

A system having no closed orbits means that the system is not periodic and its behavior cannot be predicted with certainty. This can make it difficult to analyze and control the system, and may indicate chaotic behavior. It also means that the system is not attracted towards any specific point or region, which can have implications for its long-term behavior.