Show that the limit is equal to zero

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit Zero
In summary: I am afraid this is not a proof. Moreover, this statement is not true. For instance, take $a_n=1/n^2$; then $a_n<1/n$ for all $n>1$.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
It is given that $a_{n}$ is a positive and decreasing sequence.
Show that if $\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}a_{n}$ converges, $\lim_{n \to \infty}na_{n}=0$.
That's what I tried.Could you tell me if it is right??
$\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}a_{n}$ converges,so it satisfies the Cauchy criterion,so :
$\forall m,n$ with $m>n$ it exists a $n_{0}$ such that for $m,n \geq n_{0}$:$|a_{n}+a_{n+1}+...+a_{m-1}+a_{m}|< \epsilon$ .From the Triangle inequality,we have that $|a_{n}|+|a_{n+1}|+...+|a_{m-1}|+|a_{m}|< \epsilon$ and because of the fact that $a_{n}$ is decreasing,$|a_{n}|+|a_{n+1}|+...+|a_{m-1}|+|a_{m}| \leq |a_{n}|+|a_{n}|+...+|a_{n}|+|a_{n}|=n|a_{n}|=|na_{n}| < \epsilon$.
$$|na_{n}| < \epsilon$$ ,so $\lim_{n \to \infty}na_{n}=0$

Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
It is given that $a_{n}$ is a positive and decreasing sequence.
Show that if $\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}a_{n}$ converges, $\lim_{n \to \infty}na_{n}=0$.
That's what I tried.Could you tell me if it is right??
$\forall m,n$ with $m>n$ it exists a $n_{0}$ such that for $m,n \geq n_{0}$:$|a_{n}+a_{n+1}+...+a_{m-1}+a_{m}|< \epsilon$ .From the Triangle inequality,we have that $|a_{n}|+|a_{n+1}|+...+|a_{m-1}|+|a_{m}|< \epsilon$ and because of the fact that $a_{n}$ is decreasing,$|a_{n}|+|a_{n+1}|+...+|a_{m-1}|+|a_{m}| \leq |a_{n}|+|a_{n}|+...+|a_{n}|+|a_{n}|=n|a_{n}|=|na_{n}| < \epsilon$.
$$|na_{n}| < \epsilon$$ ,so $\lim_{n \to \infty}na_{n}=0$

If the series $\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_{n}$ converges, then for any h>0 there is an $n_{0}$ for which for all $n>n_{0}$ is...

$\displaystyle a_{n} < \frac{h}{n} \implies n\ a_{n} < h\ (1)$

... and that means that $\displaystyle \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} n\ a_{n} = 0$...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
If the series $\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_{n}$ converges, then for any h>0 there is an $n_{0}$ for which for all $n>n_{0}$ is...

$\displaystyle a_{n} < \frac{h}{n} \implies n\ a_{n} < h\ (1)$

... and that means that $\displaystyle \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} n\ a_{n} = 0$...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

And if I have to use the Cauchy Criterion for series...how can I solve this?

chisigma said:

$\displaystyle a_{n} < \frac{h}{n}$
I think the challenge is to prove this.

mathmari said:
$\forall m,n$ with $m>n$ it exists a $n_{0}$ such that for $m,n \geq n_{0}$:$|a_{n}+a_{n+1}+...+a_{m-1}+a_{m}|< \epsilon$. .From the Triangle inequality,we have that $|a_{n}|+|a_{n+1}|+...+|a_{m-1}|+|a_{m}|< \epsilon$.
First, in the Cauchy criterion $m$ and $n$ should be quantified only once: For a given $\epsilon>0$ there exists an $n_0$ such that for all $n_0\le n\le m$... Second, the last inequality holds not by the triangle inequality but because
\[
|a_{n}+a_{n+1}+...+a_{m-1}+a_{m}|=a_{n}+a_{n+1}+...+a_{m-1}+a_{m}
\]
since all $a_i$ are positive by assumption. If it were not so, we could only conclude that
\[
|a_{n}+a_{n+1}+...+a_{m-1}+a_{m}|\le|a_{n}|+|a_{n+1}|+...+|a_{m-1}|+|a_{m}|
\]
and the fact that the left-hand side is $<\epsilon$ does not imply that so is the right-hand side.

mathmari said:
and because of the fact that $a_{n}$ is decreasing,$|a_{n}|+|a_{n+1}|+...+|a_{m-1}|+|a_{m}| \leq |a_{n}|+|a_{n}|+...+|a_{n}|+|a_{n}|=n|a_{n}|=|na_{n}| < \epsilon$.
Here, the right-hand side of the last equality should be $(m-n+1)a_n$ and not $na_n$ since
\[
|a_{n}|+|a_{n+1}|+...+|a_{m-1}|+|a_{m}|
\]
has $m-n+1$ terms. But we can take $m=2n-1$ so that $m-n+1=n$. More importantly, the two facts
\begin{align}
a_n+\dots+a_m&\le na_n&&(1)\\
a_n+\dots+a_m&<\epsilon&&(2)\\
\end{align}
do not imply that $na_n<\epsilon$. For this, the inequality in (1) should be reversed.

Suppose that for a given $\epsilon$ we found an $n_0$ such that for all $m$ and $n$,
\[
n_0\le n\le m\implies a_n+\dots+a_m<\epsilon\qquad(3)
\]
We would like to find something smaller than $a_n+\dots+a_m$ to conclude from (3) that it is $<\epsilon$. Therefore, it makes sense to compare each term in $a_n+\dots+a_m$ not with $a_n$, but with $a_m$:
\[
(m-n+1)a_m\le a_n+\dots+a_m
\]
But we would like to have something like $ma_m$ and not $(m-n+1)a_m$. We can't have $ma_m$ because we don't have enough terms: we can start only from $a_n$ and not from $a_1$. Alternatively, we could put $m=2n$; then, roughly speaking, there are $n$ terms of whose the last is $a_{2n}$, so $na_{2n}\le a_n+\dots+a_m<\epsilon$. But to show that $na_n\to0$ we need to show that every $na_n$ (starting from some point) is small; it would not suffice to show this only for a subsequence $a_{2n}$. Note, however, that $na_n\to0$ is equivalent to $(n/2)a_n\to0$. So the idea is to consider sums from $n/2$ to $n$ (roughly speaking because one needs to take care of odd $n$ for which $n/2$ is not defined) and to compare such sums with $n/2$ times its smallest term, i.e., last term $a_n$. Then we would get $(n/2)a_n\le a_{n/2}+\dots+a_n<\epsilon$.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
I think the challenge is to prove this...

If they exist an $ h > 0$ and an $n_{0}$ such that for any $n>n_{0}$ is $a_{n} \ge \frac{h}{n}$, then the series diverges and that is the prove...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:

$\displaystyle a_{n} < \frac{h}{n}$
This means
\[
\forall h>0\,\exists n_0\,\forall n>n_0\;a_n<\frac{h}{n}\qquad(1)
\]

chisigma said:
If they exist an $ h > 0$ and an $n_{0}$ such that for any $n>n_{0}$ is $a_{n} \ge \frac{h}{n}$, then the series diverges
And this means
\[
\exists h>0\,\exists n_0\,\forall n>n_0\;a_n\ge\frac{h}{n}\qquad(2)
\]
I agree that (2) implies that the series diverges, i.e., a contradiction. (Even then, how does it imply that? Using the fact that the harmonic series diverges? And how to prove that? Using the integral test? The original claim can be proved using just the fact that partial sums of a convergent series form a Cauchy sequence, without using such complicated concepts as Riemann integral.) But (2) is not the negation of (1). It is stronger than the negation of (1), so it is easier to derive a contradiction from (2), but it does not mean that the negation of (1) is false.

Related to Show that the limit is equal to zero

1. What is the definition of a limit?

A limit is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as the input approaches a certain value. It represents the value that the function approaches but may not necessarily reach.

2. How do you show that a limit is equal to zero?

To show that a limit is equal to zero, you need to prove that the function approaches zero as the input approaches a certain value. This can be done by using the formal definition of a limit or by using various limit theorems and algebraic manipulations.

3. What is the importance of proving that a limit is equal to zero?

Proving that a limit is equal to zero is important in many areas of mathematics and science, including calculus, physics, and engineering. It allows us to understand the behavior of functions and make accurate predictions about their values.

4. Can a limit be equal to zero at more than one point?

Yes, a limit can be equal to zero at more than one point. This means that the function approaches zero as the input approaches multiple different values. It is important to consider all possible points when evaluating a limit.

5. What are some common methods for proving that a limit is equal to zero?

Some common methods for proving that a limit is equal to zero include the squeeze theorem, the binomial theorem, and using L'Hospital's rule. It is also helpful to use algebraic manipulations and to break the function into smaller, simpler pieces to evaluate the limit.