Show that the Hamiltonian is conserved in a central Potential

In summary, the conversation discusses proving that for a particle in a central potential, the Hamiltonian is conserved. The equations used include the Hamiltonian equation, the Euler-Lagrange equation, and Noether's Theorem. The attempt at a solution involved differentiating the Hamiltonian with respect to time, but it does not fit the Euler-Lagrange equation. The application of Noether's Theorem is unclear in this context.
Ratpigeon

Homework Statement

Show that for a particle in a central potential; V=f(|r|)
H is conserved.

Homework Equations

THe hamiltonian is
H=[itex]\sum[/itex](piq'i)-L
It is conserved if dH/dt=0

Euler-Lagrange equation
d/dt(dL/dq')=dL/dq

Noether's Theorem
For a continuous transformation, T such that
L=T(L) for all T,
T is related to a conserved quantity (Although my lecturer was sketch on how it relates...)

The Attempt at a Solution

velocity is
v=r'^2+(r θ')^2+(r sinθ [itex]\varphi[/itex]')^2
p=mv
H=1/2m p^2 -(qA)^2 +V(r)

(Where V is the potential energy,
V(r)=q[itex]\phi[/itex]-q A. r';
and A is the magnetic vector potential)

I tried directly differentiating wrt time and got
dH/dt =1/m (p-qA)p'
=(mv-qA)v'
=d/dt(L)
But I don't know how to show that it's conserved, since it doesn't fit the Euler Lagrange equation...

Physics news on Phys.org
(I also tried using Noether's Theorem but I'm not sure how it applies here, and I'm not sure what the continuous transformation is...) Any help will be appreciated!

Related to Show that the Hamiltonian is conserved in a central Potential

1. What is a Hamiltonian in physics?

The Hamiltonian is a mathematical quantity that represents the total energy of a system in classical mechanics. It is defined as the sum of the kinetic and potential energies of all particles in the system.

2. How is the Hamiltonian related to central potential?

In a central potential, the force acting on a particle is always directed towards a fixed point, known as the center of the potential. The Hamiltonian is conserved in this type of potential because the force is always perpendicular to the velocity, and therefore, no work is done on the particle, resulting in a constant energy.

3. What does it mean for the Hamiltonian to be conserved?

When the Hamiltonian is conserved, it means that the total energy of the system remains constant over time. This is a fundamental principle in classical mechanics and is often used to derive equations of motion for a given system.

4. How do you show that the Hamiltonian is conserved in a central potential?

To show that the Hamiltonian is conserved in a central potential, you can use the equations of motion for the system and demonstrate that the time derivative of the Hamiltonian is equal to zero. This can be done by showing that the forces in the system are conservative and that no external forces are acting on the particles.

5. Why is it important to show that the Hamiltonian is conserved in a central potential?

It is important to show that the Hamiltonian is conserved in a central potential because it allows us to simplify the analysis of the system and make predictions about its behavior over time. Additionally, it is a fundamental principle in classical mechanics and is used in many other areas of physics, such as quantum mechanics and thermodynamics.