Show that force is proportional to gradient of PE graph

In summary: Force = field x charge3. EPE= potential x chargeIn summary, the homework statement asks what is the relationship between electric field strength and potential gradient, and I answered that electric field strength is potential gradient. The Attempt at a Solution explained how force is proportional to the gradient of electric potential energy, while the First Pair relates force to the second pair by ...
Janiceleong26
1. Homework Statement

image.jpg

image.jpg

Ok, so part i) asks us to state how the magnitude of electric field strength is related to potential gradient, and that I answered electric field strength is potential gradient.

Homework Equations

Electric field strength E=Q/(4πεr^2)
F=Qq/(4πεr^2)
Electric potential energy = Qq/(4πεr)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the electric force is proportional to EPE, but I can't seem to relate to part i)

Physics news on Phys.org
Janiceleong26 said:
F=Qq/(4πεr^2)

I know that the electric force is proportional to EPE, but I can't seem to relate to part i)

as your given with a curve giving EPE as varying with r ;you can use the curve to find graphically the electric field/force;
i think you know how to find slope of a curve
- using a tangent drawn at the point chosen by you and the slope of the tangent will give you the rate of change of potential with r.
so you can draw a tangent and check whether you get the same value.
or consult a coordinate geometry book -finding slope of a curve - i think its related to Tan of the angle subtended by the tangent.

Janiceleong26 said:
1. Homework Statement

View attachment 100658

View attachment 100659
Ok, so part i) asks us to state how the magnitude of electric field strength is related to potential gradient, and that I answered electric field strength is potential gradient.

Homework Equations

F=Qq/(4πεr^2)

It seems so simple that I'm not sure where your difficulty lies.
You understand how field strength relates to potential gradient; how potential relates to energy?; how potential gradient relates to gradient in a graph of potential?; how field strength relates to force? Which step are you missing?

haruspex said:
It seems so simple that I'm not sure where your difficulty lies.
You understand how field strength relates to potential gradient; how potential relates to energy?; how potential gradient relates to gradient in a graph of potential?; how field strength relates to force? Which step are you missing?
I thought that force is EPE gradient. Why do we need to relate to electric field strength and potential gradient to show that force is proportional to the gradient of EPE graph ?

Janiceleong26 said:
I thought that force is EPE gradient
No. The force depends on the test charge placed in the field. The potential gradient is independent of any test charge.

haruspex said:
No. The force depends on the test charge placed in the field. The potential gradient is independent of any test charge.
Ahh I think I get it now. But EPE is dependent on the test charge, am I right?
So, force on Q is proportional to the electric field strength of P, which is the potential gradient. And potential gradient is proportional to the EPE gradient, hence, force on Q is proportional to EPE gradient,right?

Janiceleong26 said:
Ahh I think I get it now. But EPE is dependent on the test charge, am I right?
So, force on Q is proportional to the electric field strength of P, which is the potential gradient. And potential gradient is proportional to the EPE gradient, hence, force on Q is proportional to EPE gradient,right?
Yes, sorry, I read EPE as electric potential - missed the final E for energy (not anabbreviation I'm familiar with). So you were right, the force is the gradient of the EPE, while the field is the gradient of the EP. And the first pair relates to the second pair by ...

haruspex said:
Yes, sorry, I read EPE as electric potential - missed the final E for energy (not anabbreviation I'm familiar with). So you were right, the force is the gradient of the EPE, while the field is the gradient of the EP. And the first pair relates to the second pair by ...
Oh, that's ok. First pair = Second pair x test charge

Janiceleong26 said:
Oh, that's ok. First pair = Second pair x test charge
So is your original question answered?

haruspex said:
So is your original question answered?
Erm, not really..
1) Froce on Q is proportional to field strength of P
2) Potential gradient is proportional to gradient of EPE
3) so force is proportional to the gradient of EPE

why can't I just straight away write :
1+3) Froce on Q is the gradientof EPE

Janiceleong26 said:
Erm, not really..
1) Froce on Q is proportional to field strength of P
2) Potential gradient is proportional to gradient of EPE
3) so force is proportional to the gradient of EPE

why can't I just straight away write :
1+3) Froce on Q is the gradientof EPE
Because it asked you to derive it from "1. field is gradient of potential":
2. Force = field x charge
3. EPE= potential x charge
So ...

haruspex said:
Because it asked you to derive it from "1. field is gradient of potential":
2. Force = field x charge
3. EPE= potential x charge
So ...
(Field x charge)= (potential x charge) / distance

We can't straght away say that force is gradient of EPE, because that isn't by definition, is it?

Janiceleong26 said:
(Field x charge)= (potential x charge) / distance
No, /distance is not the same as gradient. Gradient is the limit of change/distance as the distance tends to zero.
Using the 1, 2 and 3 that I posted, force = charge x field = charge x gradient of potential = gradient of (potential x charge) = gradient of EPE.
The third step is valid because charge is a constant.
Janiceleong26 said:
We can't straight away say that force is gradient of EPE, because that isn't by definition, is it?
It's not by definition, but it does follow immediately from ##work=\int \vec F .\vec {ds}##.

haruspex said:
No, /distance is not the same as gradient. Gradient is the limit of change/distance as the distance tends to zero.
Using the 1, 2 and 3 that I posted, force = charge x field = charge x gradient of potential = gradient of (potential x charge) = gradient of EPE.
The third step is valid because charge is a constant.

It's not by definition, but it does follow immediately from ##work=\int \vec F .\vec {ds}##.
So basically force is the gradient of EPE graph, right?
Thanks, I think I've got it

Related to Show that force is proportional to gradient of PE graph

1. How is force related to the gradient of a potential energy graph?

The gradient of a potential energy (PE) graph represents the slope or rate of change of the PE with respect to position. This slope, or gradient, is directly proportional to the force acting on an object at that position. This means that as the gradient increases, the force also increases, and vice versa.

2. Can you explain the mathematical relationship between force and the gradient of a PE graph?

The mathematical relationship between force and the gradient of a PE graph is described by the equation F = -dPE/dx, where F is the force, dPE is the change in potential energy, and dx is the change in position. This equation shows that the force is directly proportional to the gradient of the PE graph.

3. What does it mean for force to be proportional to the gradient of a PE graph?

When we say that force is proportional to the gradient of a PE graph, it means that the force acting on an object is directly related to the steepness of the graph at that point. A steeper gradient indicates a larger force, while a flatter gradient indicates a smaller force.

4. How does this relationship between force and the gradient of a PE graph relate to the concept of energy conservation?

This relationship is closely related to the concept of energy conservation, as the gradient of a PE graph represents the rate of change of potential energy. According to the law of conservation of energy, energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. Therefore, as the potential energy of an object changes, the force acting on it must also change in order to conserve energy.

5. Can this relationship be applied to any type of potential energy graph?

Yes, the relationship between force and the gradient of a PE graph is a general principle that can be applied to any type of potential energy graph. This includes graphs for gravitational potential energy, elastic potential energy, and electric potential energy, among others.