Show Roots of Complex Sine Are Real Valued

In summary, the conversation is about finding the real-valued zeros of the complex sine function. The solution involves using the fact that sin(z) = (e^iz - e^-iz) /2i and setting it equal to 0. By multiplying both sides by 2i and simplifying, the equation is reduced to e^(2iz) = 1. By using de Moivre's theorem and simplifying further, it is found that the roots of the equation are when z = 0, or when x = -iy. Further discussion explores the use of de Moivre's theorem and the properties of the real sine and cosine functions to confirm this result.
mancini0

Homework Statement

Hi guys, I am having difficulty with the following problem:

Show the complex sine function has real valued zeros.

Homework Equations

I know that sin(z) = (e^iz - e^-iz) /2i

The Attempt at a Solution

I have to find roots of sin(z), i.e, when the above equation = 0. First I multiplied both sides by 2i, to cancel the 2i in the denominator.

leaving e^iz -e^-iz = 0.

then e^iz = e^-iz .

So e^iz = 1/e^1z

Now I am stuck. I can break it down to trigonometric form, but I'm not sure how that helps...

cos(z) + i sin(z) = 1 / cos(z) + i sin(z)

I think I have to get the above expression into real and imaginary (u and v) parts:
cos(x+iy) +i (sin(x+iy) = 1/[cos(x+iy) + i*sin(x+iy)]

Any guidance would be much appreciated...

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Factor it. 0=e^(iz)-e^(-iz)=e^(-iz)*(e^(2iz)-1). The first factor is never zero, right?

Hmmm... so the roots are when e^(2iz) - 1 = 0, i.e, when e^(2iz) = 1.

e^(2iz) = e^(iz) * e^(iz) = (cos(z) + isin(z) ) * (cos(z) + isin(z))

1= cos^2(z) - sin^2(z) + i(sin(z)cos(z))

Recognizing that cos^2(z) - sin^2(z) = cos(2z), I can rewrite the above as

1 = cos(2z) + isin(z)cos(z)

Now my intuition tells the above must be real valued, since I feel that whatever I put in for z which satisfies the above equation will cancel the imaginary part. I just don't know how to solve the above equation in the complex plane, i.e, how would I expand cos(z) to cos(x+iy)?

Isn't there an easier way to solve e2iz=1 by simply taking logarithms?

mancini0 said:
Hmmm... so the roots are when e^(2iz) - 1 = 0, i.e, when e^(2iz) = 1.

e^(2iz) = e^(iz) * e^(iz) = (cos(z) + isin(z) ) * (cos(z) + isin(z))

1= cos^2(z) - sin^2(z) + i(sin(z)cos(z))

Recognizing that cos^2(z) - sin^2(z) = cos(2z), I can rewrite the above as

1 = cos(2z) + isin(z)cos(z)

Now my intuition tells the above must be real valued, since I feel that whatever I put in for z which satisfies the above equation will cancel the imaginary part. I just don't know how to solve the above equation in the complex plane, i.e, how would I expand cos(z) to cos(x+iy)?

Work out what e^(2iz) is when z=x+iy. Then set that to 1.

micromass said:
Isn't there an easier way to solve e2iz=1 by simply taking logarithms?

If you happen to know log is multivalued and all that stuff. I think a more basic approach might be better here.

e^2(iz) = e^2i(x+iy) = e^(2ix -2y)
= e^2ix / e^2y since subtraction in the exponents corresponds to division of base.

The above = 1 when e^2ix = e^2y

i.e, when 2ix = 2y, when ix = y

x = -iy

We haven't discussed the complex logarithm, that comes tomorrow! I don't see how my above solution shows sin(z) is always real valued.

mancini0 said:
e^2(iz) = e^2i(x+iy) = e^(2ix -2y)
= e^2ix / e^2y since subtraction in the exponents corresponds to division of base.

The above = 1 when e^2ix = e^2y

i.e, when 2ix = 2y, when ix = y

x = -iy

No, no. The complex function e^z isn't one-to-one. You can't cancel it like that. Use deMoivre on e^(2ix). You know a lot about the REAL sine and cosine functions.

Hmmm, I think it hit me...if x = -iy, then z=x+iy implies z = -iy +iy = 0 is the root.

mancini0 said:
Hmmm, I think it hit me...if x = -iy, then z=x+iy implies z = -iy +iy = 0 is the root.

See my previous post.

Okay, thank you very much for your help thus far.

By De Moivre's Theorem I would take the nth power of the modulus and multiply the argument by n.
But why would I do this on e^2ix? I thought De Moivre's theorem only applies when a complex number is raised to an integer?

[tex]\sin(z)=\sin(x)\cosh(y)+i\cos(x)\sinh(y)\,,\ \text{ where }\ z = x + iy[/tex]

So sin(x)cosh(y) = 0 and cos(x)sinh(y) = 0 .

mancini0 said:
Okay, thank you very much for your help thus far.

By De Moivre's Theorem I would take the nth power of the modulus and multiply the argument by n.
But why would I do this on e^2ix? I thought De Moivre's theorem only applies when a complex number is raised to an integer?

e^(2ix)=cos(2x)+i*sin(2x). That's all I meant. So 1=(cos(2x)+i*sin(2x))*e^(-2y). First notice that the imaginary part has to vanish. What does that tell you about x? Use that to deduce what y must be.

Related to Show Roots of Complex Sine Are Real Valued

1. What does it mean for the roots of complex sine to be real valued?

When we say that the roots of complex sine are real valued, it means that the solutions to the equation are real numbers rather than complex numbers. In other words, the values of the roots do not have an imaginary component.

2. Why is it important to know that the roots of complex sine are real valued?

Knowing that the roots of complex sine are real valued is important because it allows us to simplify calculations and make predictions about the behavior of the function. It also helps us to better understand the properties of complex numbers and their relationships with real numbers.

3. How can we prove that the roots of complex sine are real valued?

We can prove that the roots of complex sine are real valued by using mathematical techniques such as the fundamental theorem of algebra or the quadratic formula. These methods allow us to identify the roots of the function and determine whether they are real or complex.

4. Are there any exceptions where the roots of complex sine are not real valued?

Yes, there are some exceptions where the roots of complex sine may not be real valued. For example, when the argument of the sine function is an imaginary number, the roots will also be complex. Additionally, in some special cases, such as when the sine function is raised to a fractional power, the roots may not be real valued.

5. How does the real valued nature of the roots of complex sine impact its graph?

The real valued nature of the roots of complex sine has a significant impact on its graph. It means that the function will only intersect the x-axis at real values, and the graph will not have any complex or imaginary points. This can help us to visualize and analyze the behavior of the function more easily.