Show a flowline of a vector field?

In summary, the vector field F(x,y,z)=(8y,8x,2z) has a flowline r(t)=(e8t+e−8t, e8t−e−8t, e2t) and r'(t)=F(r(t))=(8e8t-8e-8t,8e8t-8e-8t,2e2t). The curve r(t)=(cos(8t), sin(8t), e2t) is not a flowline of vector field F, but of a slightly different vector field G where G(x,y,z)=(8y,8x,2z).
Suy
Show a flowline of a vector field??

Homework Statement

Consider the vector field F(x,y,z)=(8y,8x,2z).
Show that r(t)=(e8t+e−8t, e8t−e−8t, e2t) is a flowline for the vector field F.

r'(t)=F(r(t)) = (_,_,_)

Now consider the curve r(t)=(cos(8t), sin(8t), e2t) . It is not a flowline of the vector field F, but of a vector field G which differs in definition from F only slightly.

G(x,y,z)=(_,_,_)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess the first part of the question r'(t)=F(r(t)) = (8e8t-8e-8t,8e8t-8e-8t,2e2t)

For the second part, I don't understand the question... hope someone can explain to me?

Physics news on Phys.org

Suy said:

Homework Statement

Consider the vector field F(x,y,z)=(8y,8x,2z).
Show that r(t)=(e8t+e−8t, e8t−e−8t, e2t) is a flowline for the vector field F.

r'(t)=F(r(t)) = (_,_,_)

Now consider the curve r(t)=(cos(8t), sin(8t), e2t) . It is not a flowline of the vector field F, but of a vector field G which differs in definition from F only slightly.

G(x,y,z)=(_,_,_)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess the first part of the question r'(t)=F(r(t)) = (8e8t-8e-8t,8e8t-8e-8t,2e2t)
Okay, and do you understand why that is "(8y, 8x, 2z)"?

For the second part, I don't understand the question... hope someone can explain to me?
Do the same thing. If [itex]r(t)= (x, y, z)= (cos(8t), sin(8t), e^{2t})[/itex] what is [itex]r'(t)[/itex]? What is that in terms of x, y, and z?

Thanks for the reply! It definitely helped me understanding the question! And I know how to do it now!

Related to Show a flowline of a vector field?

1. What is a flowline of a vector field?

A flowline of a vector field is a path that follows the direction of the vector field at each point. It represents the direction and magnitude of the vector field at different points in space.

2. How is a flowline of a vector field plotted?

A flowline of a vector field is typically plotted by starting at a point in the vector field and following the direction of the vectors to plot a path. This process is repeated for multiple points to create a continuous flowline.

3. What is the significance of a flowline in a vector field?

A flowline visually represents the direction and magnitude of the vector field at different points, allowing for a better understanding of the behavior of the vector field. It can also be used to identify areas of convergence and divergence in the field.

4. Can a flowline cross itself?

No, a flowline cannot cross itself. This is because a flowline is a continuous path that follows the direction of the vector field at each point, and the direction of the vector field cannot change suddenly or reverse direction.

5. How is a flowline of a vector field useful in real-world applications?

In real-world applications, a flowline of a vector field can be used to model the behavior of fluids, such as air or water, in various scenarios. It can also be used in meteorology to track the movement of air masses, and in engineering to study the flow of electricity or heat in a system.