Should I turn off my upstairs air conditioning during peak hours to save energy?

In summary, it is generally beneficial to set back the thermostat during peak hours to conserve energy. It is also recommended to have good insulation in the house to further save on energy costs.
dkmcd55
I have a 2600 sq' home in Arizona. I have a 13 seer a/c system with two units. I havea second story of my house which is only a loft. Is is more beneficial for me to leave the thermostat off upstairs to conserve energy during the peak hours that my electric provider has from noon-7pm? Or is it better to kep my updtairs thermostat to like 85 degrees?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

I'm not clear on the second option. Is that 85 degrees only during peak hours or all the time?

Generally, any setback is a positive thing. The benefits aren't always huge because if the setback is only for a few hours, you'll just spend more energy later to bring the temperature back down - but still less total energy.

Well what options do I have. My wife does not work and she likes it cold but I do not want to have a $500 electric bill. What options do I have?

Leaving the unused areas of the house at higher temps for at least a few hours should help. Also check and make sure you have good insulation in your house. Spending a few hundred dollars once can save you loads for years.

I would recommend turning off the upstairs air conditioning during peak hours to save energy. This is because the 13 SEER system is designed to efficiently cool a 2600 sq ft home, and the loft area is not a full living space. Keeping the thermostat at 85 degrees may still use a significant amount of energy and may not effectively cool the space. By turning off the upstairs air conditioning, you can reduce your energy consumption during peak hours and potentially save money on your electricity bill. Additionally, using natural ventilation or fans during this time may help to cool the loft space without using as much energy. However, it is important to consider the outside temperature and humidity levels when making this decision. If the outside temperature is extremely high, it may be more beneficial to keep the upstairs air conditioning on at a higher temperature to prevent heat-related health concerns. Overall, turning off the upstairs air conditioning during peak hours is a more energy-efficient option for your 2600 sq ft home in Arizona.

Related to Should I turn off my upstairs air conditioning during peak hours to save energy?

1. How does an air conditioner work?

An air conditioner works by using a compressor to compress a refrigerant gas, which then circulates through a series of coils. As the refrigerant cools and condenses, it absorbs heat from the surrounding air, which is then blown out through the vents, resulting in cooler air inside the room.

2. How often should I replace my air conditioner?

The lifespan of an air conditioner can vary depending on factors such as usage, maintenance, and climate. On average, air conditioners last between 10-15 years. However, if your unit is not functioning properly or is over 10 years old, it may be time to consider a replacement.

3. How do I choose the right size air conditioner for my space?

The size of your air conditioner is important to ensure optimal cooling and energy efficiency. To determine the right size, you should consider the square footage of the space, the climate of your area, and the number of people who will be using the space. It is best to consult with a professional to determine the appropriate size for your specific needs.

4. How often should I clean or replace my air filter?

It is recommended to clean or replace your air filter every 1-3 months, depending on usage. A dirty air filter can restrict airflow and decrease the efficiency of your air conditioner. Regular maintenance of your air filter can also improve the air quality in your space and prevent potential issues with your unit.

5. Can I install an air conditioner myself?

While it is possible to install an air conditioner yourself, it is not recommended. Air conditioner installation requires knowledge of electrical and plumbing work, as well as proper tools and equipment. It is best to hire a professional to ensure safe and proper installation of your air conditioner.