Should I Pursue a Masters Before Entering the Semiconductor Industry?

In summary, you should pursue a masters if you want to enter the semiconductor industry. A graduate program will give you a deeper understanding of the devices and processes used in this field.Depending on the school you attend, a masters may provide more indepth knowledge in semiconductor physics than a BSEE. However, a masters does not guarantee a career in the semiconductor industry. There are many different roles that a semiconductor engineer can hold, and you will need the MSEE to be successful. Good luck in your future endeavors!
sandy.bridge
I'm extremely interested in semiconductor devices (MOSFETs, BJTs, diodes, etc) and I plan on pursuing a career in this field. However, what I am contemplating is whether or not it would be beneficial to pursue a masters before attempting to get into the semiconductor industry, or if a BE is suffice? I obviously want to excel in whatever line of work I am a part of.

I'm currently in my second year, and I most definitely have the marks to get into a graduate program (if it would be beneficial). Any advice from those a part of the EE community is greatly appreciated.

:)

Engineering news on Phys.org
You sound quite certain you have found your field of interest
And going back to school after wroking for several years is not easy.
So I would say get your Masters first and then begin the career.
I did that. And I decided the PhD was not needed unless I wanted to teach and do research. It worked for me. I was always glad I had that MS under my belt.

I think in that line of work, a masters would definitely help. You may want to consider a condensed matter physics / material science masters program to get a really good understanding of that industry outside of the abstracted EE layer, but then focus your undergrad EE electives in mixed signal/digital design/FPGA and VLSI courses.

In my grad physics course we studied all of the semiconductor physics and then also all of the technology and processes used such as all of the deposition/implantation techniques, lithography, and the czochralski process.

But it also depends on the specific school you're going to. Some EE programs offer courses that are very indepth into semiconductor physics, while others rely on a physics department to teach that stuff.

Last edited:
and simply the quantum mechanics

I'd say your choice depends on your specialty. For anything resembling a "career" It's becoming hard to break in as a BSEE. The business has changed greatly since the days of fabricating discrete solutions.

If you want to be in semiconductor, you could be in the process side, the design side, or any number of supporting roles.

Process engineers will be expected to know a great deal about the devices, the chemistry, the physics, and any number of special processes. I have a friend that's a BSIE in this area, but the PHds rule.

Design engineers are broken into subcategories, but generally, you're a digital designer or an analog designer. Either way, you really need the MSEE to break in. Your knowledge burden will be more centered towards understanding techniques and the utilization of certain software packages.

Support engineers do grunt work to characterize devices (test engineers or reliability engineers), marketing, or customer support related duties. With the exception of marketing, you probably won't see the portability or income of a design engineer. And, in any of these cases, you'll still have difficulties without the MSEE.

SO, the bottom line is get the MSEE if you want into this industry. It is good to get inroads into the industry early, so a summer internship is good. One company that does a lot of training is Texas Instruments. I don't know anyone who's come away from the company feeling ambivalent; you either love it or hate it, but you get a solid start on the basics.

Best of Luck,

Mike

Thanks a lot for the replies. If I were to post particular graduate classes that focus on semiconductors, along with their descriptions, would any of you be able to discern whether the program is suffice? I feel as though I am not experienced enough to place judgement, but I'd like to have an idea of whether I will have to go to the physics department for a graduate program or not. I have emailed a professor at my school that specializes in semiconductors and asked his opinion regarding it, but an outside opinion may be better...

Again, this gets back to specialties. I know it's murky to perceive trends, but this is what you need to do. For example, simple, circuit board level, design work is migrating out of the country to India and China. This trend will likely increase as these countries migrate from production to design.
VLSI digital design has been entrenched for many years, and is beginning to filter down closer to the product level, particularly in high value industries like Military and high performance medical.
Analog design has really taken off, particularly using cmos processes. More demanding, but very popular know is mixing signals on a chip. At one time analog beside digital was the challenge, but the new frontier is RF beside digital.
Though I don't understand how, power supply chip designers are still in demand. I'm surprised this growth has lasted so long.

Alternately, reliability and control systems engineering are still going strong and I can't imagine them fading away.

Related to Should I Pursue a Masters Before Entering the Semiconductor Industry?

1. What is the semiconductor industry?

The semiconductor industry refers to the production and manufacturing of electronic components known as semiconductors. These are materials that have the ability to conduct electricity under certain conditions, and are used in a wide range of electronic devices such as computers, smartphones, and televisions.

2. How does the semiconductor industry impact our daily lives?

The semiconductor industry has a significant impact on our daily lives as it is the backbone of the modern technology we use. From the devices we use to stay connected and entertained, to the transportation we rely on, and the healthcare technologies that save lives, semiconductors play a crucial role in shaping our modern world.

3. What are the major challenges facing the semiconductor industry?

Some of the major challenges facing the semiconductor industry include keeping up with the growing demand for new and advanced technologies, managing the high costs of research and development, and addressing environmental concerns related to the production and disposal of semiconductors.

4. How does the semiconductor industry contribute to the global economy?

The semiconductor industry is a major contributor to the global economy, with a market value of over $400 billion. It creates jobs in various fields such as research and development, manufacturing, and sales, and drives innovation and economic growth in other industries that rely on technology.

5. What does the future hold for the semiconductor industry?

The future of the semiconductor industry looks promising as it continues to evolve and innovate. With the rise of new technologies such as artificial intelligence, internet of things, and 5G, the demand for semiconductors is expected to continue growing. However, the industry will also face challenges in meeting these demands while addressing concerns about sustainability and ethical practices.