Should I park my car with wheels straightened ?

In summary, if you are parking with wheels turned, make sure to turn them so that they roll into the curb, not into the road. If you are parking downhill, turn the tires toward the curb, and if you are parking uphill, turn the tires away from the curb.
anhtho
Some people park their cars with wheels turned and other do not. I myself like the straight wheels while parking. But technically, are there any problems if I park not straight ?

Physics news on Phys.org
anhtho said:
Some people park their cars with wheels turned and other do not. I myself like the straight wheels while parking. But technically, are there any problems if I park not straight ?

It's important if you are parking up or down hill.

Just remember what direction your wheels are pointed when you start driving again.

Jack21222 said:
Just remember what direction your wheels are pointed when you start driving again.

Isn't it enough to look at them before getting in the car?
:biggrin: :-p

Greg Bernhardt said:
It's important if you are parking up or down hill.

I'm learning stuff, thanks Greg.

Remember you want to turn your wheels so that if the car rolls, it rolls into the curb, not into the road. Parking downhill, tires toward the curb, uphill, tires away from the curb.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/hdbk/parking.htm

What if you're on a flat, level surface? Doesn't neatness count anymore?

Evo said:
Remember you want to turn your wheels so that if the car rolls, it rolls into the curb, not into the road. Parking downhill, tires toward the curb, uphill, tires away from the curb.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/hdbk/parking.htm

That's what they taught us in driver's ed. It's mainly just so that, if your brakes give out, or your car is hit, it doesn't go flying off into the middle of the road, but goes into the curb.

Jack21222 said:
My car actually warns me if they are not.

Recently I had the pleasure of parking my car on Stewart St. right in front of Pike Place Market in Seattle. If you know that area, you know that there is a relatively steep hill between 1st St and the market. I parked there with my wheel pointed to the curb and nothing eventful happened. The guy in front of me parked with the wheels straight and nothing eventful happened to his car either. The car was a rental from an agency in the Seattle area so I guess that's why there was a special device on the driver's side for straightening out the wheels.

Jimmy Snyder said:
there was a special device on the driver's side for straightening out the wheels.
Lol, was it big and round and between you and the dashboard?

You're a lucky guesser.

russ_watters said:
My car actually warns me if they are not.

Strangely this rages me almost as much as electric handbrakes. Anyone not being able to tell if their steering wheel isn't straight by one full turn should have their driving license thrown on a fire.

Then again I still leave my car in gear on a hill.

Last edited:
xxChrisxx said:
Strangely this rages me almost as much as electric handbrakes.
Yeah, about that...

Around here, we don't have "curbs" unless you wander off to the big cities. We have ditches and (in season) snowbanks. It's possible to make rational choices, but some of those are seasonal and not universal.

When they get that talking lady on GPS ( she already blabs about going over the speed limit ) to tell you whether your wheels are correctly pointed in or out , then we have made it as a species.

Evo said:
if the car rolls, it rolls into the curb

Some cars always roll into the curb.

Ask Drizzle.

xxChrisxx said:
Then again I still leave my car in gear on a hill.

I leave it always this way, slope or not.

But then I drive a stick.

256bits said:
When they get that talking lady on GPS ( she already blabs about going over the speed limit ) to tell you whether your wheels are correctly pointed in or out , then we have made it as a species.

That should be fairly simple. An accelerometer will tell you if the nose of the car is pointed up or down, and a feedback system can tell the car where the wheels are relative to straight. You only have nine possible cases (if you include straight wheels and flat parking spot) and can handle each accordingly.

Borek said:
Some cars always roll into the curb.

Ask Drizzle.

That is temporarily true.

Related to Should I park my car with wheels straightened ?

1. Should I park my car with wheels straightened?

Yes, it is recommended to park your car with the wheels straightened. This helps to prevent damage to your tires and steering system.

2. What happens if I park my car with wheels turned?

If you park your car with the wheels turned, it can put unnecessary stress on your steering system and cause uneven wear on your tires. This can also make it difficult to back out of a parking spot.

3. Can I park my car with wheels turned on a hill?

No, it is not recommended to park your car with wheels turned on a hill. This can cause your car to roll and potentially lead to accidents. It is better to park with the wheels straightened and use your parking brake.

4. Is it okay to park my car with wheels turned if I have a front-wheel drive?

It is still recommended to park your car with the wheels straightened, even if you have a front-wheel drive. This will help to prevent unnecessary stress on your steering system and tires.

5. Does it matter which direction I turn my wheels when parking?

Yes, it is important to turn your wheels towards the curb when parking on a hill facing downhill. This will help to prevent your car from rolling into traffic if your parking brake fails. If you are parking on a hill facing uphill, turn your wheels away from the curb.