Should I Learn C++ After Knowing Java?

• C/C++
  • Thread starter makyol
  • Start date
  • Tags
    C++ Java
In summary, the main differences between C++ and Java are that C++ is statically typed, while Java is dynamically typed, C++ allows for low-level memory manipulation and supports multiple inheritance and operator overloading, while Java does not. It is not necessary to learn C++ if you already know Java, but it can be beneficial for career opportunities and overall programming skills. Some key concepts to focus on when learning C++ after Java include pointers, memory management, and the differences in syntax. There are many resources and tools available to aid in the learning process, and with dedication and practice, one can become proficient in C++ within a few months.
makyol
Hey there,

For an Electrical Engineering candidate, will you suggest to learn C++. I am currently know Java and i am thinking about learning C++ by taking an elective course in my university. What do you think? Is it worth to take that course also can C++ help me in my career as an electrical engineer.

Your advices are very important for me, thanks in advance!

Technology news on Phys.org
Once you know java, c++ will be pretty easy. And its a very important skill to have, definitely learn it.

Related to Should I Learn C++ After Knowing Java?

1. What are the main differences between C++ and Java?

The main difference is that C++ is a statically typed language, while Java is a dynamically typed language. This means that C++ requires the programmer to explicitly declare variable types, while Java does not. C++ also allows for low-level memory manipulation, whereas Java has a garbage collection system. C++ also supports multiple inheritance and operator overloading, while Java does not.

2. Is it necessary to learn C++ if I already know Java?

It is not necessary, but it can be beneficial. Knowing C++ can make you a more versatile programmer and open up job opportunities in industries that primarily use C++. Additionally, understanding C++ can give you a better understanding of how programming languages work at a lower level, which can improve your overall programming skills.

3. What are the key concepts to focus on when learning C++ after Java?

Some key concepts to focus on include pointers, memory management, and the differences in syntax between the two languages. It is also important to understand the differences in how objects and classes are handled in C++ compared to Java.

4. Are there any resources or tools that can help with learning C++ after Java?

Yes, there are many online tutorials, courses, and books available that specifically focus on learning C++ after Java. Additionally, there are tools such as IDEs and compilers that can aid in the learning process.

5. How long will it take to learn C++ after Java?

The time it takes to learn C++ after Java will vary depending on the individual's prior programming experience and the amount of time they dedicate to learning. However, with dedication and practice, it is possible to become proficient in C++ within a few months.