Should I Do Every Exercise in Apostol's Calculus Book?

In summary, when working through Apostol's Calculus book, it is recommended to focus on the challenging exercises and use your own judgement for more specific topics. It is not necessary to do every exercise, as some may be trivial and a waste of time. It is important to balance your time and effort, and not let completing all the exercises hinder your progress in other courses.
JG89
I am currently working through Apostol's Calculus book. Is it recommended that I work through each and every exercise in each section, or at least in the very important sections, so that I gain a more thorough understanding?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
yes

how is it possible that yes is too short an answer to this question. how stupid is that?!

As a general rule of thumb, do the exercises that are challenging for you. I didn't use Apostol as a primary calculus text but it has good problems. For instance there will be problems where you can see the solution almost immediately (for instance, many integrals) and it's just a matter of computation. Of course you also want to be competent enough at computation. For instance, it's easy to learn all of the derivative rules in one sitting and you'll be able to take any derivative if you apply the rules carefully and correctly. Thus, there really won't be any ingenuity involved in these exercises but the key is to compute effectively and precisely.

For more specific topics, you should use your own judgement. It can't hurt to do all the exercises but I personally think it's a waste of time because there will be trivial exercises.

I don't know why people say do every exercise. That can potentially take too long, and might result in you giving less effort per problem just to get through them all. Obviously the more the better, but don't let it make you fall behind in other courses.

Related to Should I Do Every Exercise in Apostol's Calculus Book?

1. What is the purpose of exercises in a textbook?

The purpose of exercises in a textbook is to help students apply and reinforce the knowledge they have learned from the material. Exercises also provide an opportunity for students to practice and improve their skills, as well as prepare for exams and assessments.

2. How many exercises should I complete in a textbook?

The number of exercises you should complete in a textbook varies depending on the subject and level of difficulty. However, it is generally recommended to complete all the exercises assigned by your teacher or professor, as they are designed to help you fully understand the material.

3. Should I complete exercises in order or can I skip around?

It is usually best to complete exercises in order, as they are often designed to build upon each other and become more challenging as you progress. However, if you are struggling with a particular concept, you may want to skip ahead to exercises that focus on that topic.

4. Can I check my answers to exercises in a textbook?

Many textbooks include an answer key or solutions manual at the back of the book, which you can use to check your answers. However, it is important to first try and solve the exercises on your own before checking the answers.

5. How can I make the most out of doing exercises in a textbook?

To make the most out of exercises in a textbook, it is important to actively engage with the material and try to solve the problems on your own before looking at the solutions. You can also use exercises to identify any areas where you may need more practice or review, and to ask questions and seek help from your teacher or classmates.