Should I buy Introduction to Electrodynamics (3rd Edition) (Paperback)?

In summary, Introduction to Electrodynamics (3rd Edition) is a suitable textbook for beginners in the subject, providing a clear and comprehensive introduction. A basic understanding of calculus and physics is recommended, but other necessary topics are introduced in the book. The content is organized into 12 chapters, each with explanations, examples, and practice problems. The textbook also includes a solutions manual and online resources for additional learning. The 3rd edition has updated content and is recommended for the most current information.
xdrgnh
Should I buy this book for a good price now even though I won't be taking a junior year E@M class till two years from now. I'm asking because I could use Griffiths now as a good reference book. But because it's paper back idk if it will last for two more years. This semester I'm taking an E@M class taught using Purcell.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Paperbacks aren't THAT flimsy. I still have paperbacks from back when I was an undergrad in college.

Related to Should I buy Introduction to Electrodynamics (3rd Edition) (Paperback)?

1. Is this textbook suitable for beginners?

Yes, Introduction to Electrodynamics (3rd Edition) is designed for students who have little or no prior knowledge in electrodynamics. It provides a clear and comprehensive introduction to the subject, making it suitable for beginners.

2. Are there any prerequisites for this textbook?

A basic understanding of calculus and physics is recommended for this textbook. It is also helpful to have some knowledge of vector calculus and differential equations, but these topics are introduced and explained in the book.

3. How is the content organized in this textbook?

The book is divided into 12 chapters, covering topics such as electric fields, magnetic fields, electromagnetic waves, and more. Each chapter includes clear explanations, examples, and practice problems to reinforce the concepts.

4. Are there any supplemental materials included with the textbook?

Yes, the textbook comes with a solutions manual, which provides step-by-step solutions to all of the practice problems in the book. There are also online resources such as videos, quizzes, and interactive simulations available to enhance learning.

5. Is the 3rd edition significantly different from previous editions?

The 3rd edition includes updated examples, illustrations, and problems. It also incorporates new discoveries and advancements in the field of electrodynamics. If you have access to the 3rd edition, it is recommended to use it over previous editions for the most up-to-date information.