Should I be a physicist or mathematician?

In summary, the conversation is about a high school student who enjoys theorizing about math and physics but does not enjoy repetitive math. They are seeking advice on which field, physics or mathematics, has less repetitive problems and more challenging problems. The expert advises not to choose a major based solely on this factor and to explore both fields in higher-level classes. They also suggest looking ahead at textbooks but acknowledge that some grind-work is necessary in both fields.
onamatapia
I'm a sophomore in high school. I'm taking pre-cal right now. I really enjoy theorizing about both math and physics, but what I don't like is endlessly repeating simple math that I already know how to do. I'd enjoy using some of that to help solve complex problems, but I do not enjoy doing simple repetitive math for it's own ends. Which of the two, physicist or mathematicians, does less repetetive problems and does more challenging problems?

Physics news on Phys.org
my advice would be look for cheap (probably 2nd hand) textbooks above your course syllabus and try work though them.

Something i wish I have done

Who cares? Just do something that you like and chances are you will change your career.

Don't choose your major based on "repetitive problems". You're still in HS, there are a lot of mathematics and physics you haven't encountered.

onamatapia said:
Which of the two, physicist or mathematicians, does less repetetive problems and does more challenging problems?

Both change dramatically as you progress through university. Don't judge them from any courses in high-school. However, I would say that (Pure) Mathematics changes a bit more radically than Physics (others may disagree). The only way you will know what you enjoy is to try them both and get to higher-level classes. Some grind-work is going to be required regardless of the route you take.

As suggested above, looking ahead at textbooks is good, but some of it just takes time...

Related to Should I be a physicist or mathematician?

1. Should I pursue a career as a physicist or mathematician?

Ultimately, the decision between becoming a physicist or mathematician depends on your personal interests and strengths. Both fields involve critical thinking and problem-solving, but physicists focus more on the physical world while mathematicians focus on abstract concepts and theories. Consider your interests and strengths to determine which field aligns more with your goals.

2. What is the difference between being a physicist and a mathematician?

Physicists use mathematical principles to study the properties and behavior of matter, energy, and the universe. They conduct experiments, make observations, and develop theories to explain natural phenomena. Mathematicians, on the other hand, use mathematical concepts and theories to develop and prove new ideas and theories. They often work in academia, but also have applications in fields such as finance, technology, and engineering.

3. Which field has better job prospects, physics or mathematics?

The job prospects for physicists and mathematicians are both strong, with job growth expected in both fields. Physicists can find employment in research and development, academia, and government agencies, while mathematicians can work in various industries such as finance, technology, and data analysis. It is important to research job opportunities in your specific area of interest to determine the demand for each field.

4. What skills are needed to be a successful physicist or mathematician?

Both physicists and mathematicians need strong analytical and problem-solving skills. They also need a solid understanding of mathematical concepts and the ability to think abstractly. In addition, communication and teamwork skills are important for collaborating with others in research projects and presenting findings.

5. Can I be both a physicist and a mathematician?

While it is possible to have a background in both physics and mathematics, it may be challenging to excel in both fields simultaneously. It is more common for individuals to focus on one field and use the principles of the other as a tool in their research. However, interdisciplinary research and collaboration between physicists and mathematicians is common and can lead to groundbreaking discoveries.