Shortest distance between 2 curves

In summary: If you can find the vector from one curve to the other that is perpendicular to both, then you can find the magnitude of the vector and that will be the shortest distance between the two curves.
jegues

Homework Statement

Find the shortest distance between,

[tex]y = x^{2} - 8x + 15[/tex] and,

[tex]2y + 7 + 2x^{2} = 0[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Rearranging the 2nd function into a function of y in terms of x,

[tex] y = -x^{2} - \frac{7}{2}[/tex]

From here I was able to graph the two in the x-y plane. (See figure)

Now the shortest distance between them will be a vector that runs from one curve to the other, and is perpendicular to both curves, correct?

How can I go about finding this vector? If I can somehow create this vector, I can compute his magnitude and I'll have the shortest distance between the two curves.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• graph.JPG
    graph.JPG
    6.3 KB · Views: 432
Physics news on Phys.org
jegues said:
Now the shortest distance between them will be a vector that runs from one curve to the other, and is perpendicular to both curves, correct?

You mean perpendicular to the tangent vector of each curve, right? :wink:

How can I go about finding this vector? If I can somehow create this vector, I can compute his magnitude and I'll have the shortest distance between the two curves.

Any ideas?

Why not start by saying that this vector is [itex]\textbf{d}=a\textbf{i}+b\textbf{j}+c\textbf{k}[/itex] and then solving fo the 3 unkowns [itex]a[/itex], [itex]b[/itex], and [itex]c[/itex]? You will need 3 independent equations to solve for these variables, so try putting the condition that d is perpendicular to the tangent vector of each curve into equation form (giving you 2 equations) and then finding another equation that it must satisfy...

gabbagabbahey said:
You mean perpendicular to the tangent vector of each curve, right? :wink:

Why not start by saying that this vector is [itex]\textbf{d}=a\textbf{i}+b\textbf{j}+c\textbf{k}[/itex] and then solving fo the 3 unkowns [itex]a[/itex], [itex]b[/itex], and [itex]c[/itex]? You will need 3 independent equations to solve for these variables, so try putting the condition that d is perpendicular to the tangent vector of each curve into equation form (giving you 2 equations) and then finding another equation that it must satisfy...

If d is to be perpendicular to the tangent vector of each curve then,

[tex] \vec{d} \cdot \vec{v} = \vec{0}[/tex] Where, [tex]\vec{v}[/tex] is the tangent vector of the given curve.

But my curves aren't in vector notation, so how do I go about finding the tangent vector?

If I can describe my two curves in the form of position vectors then I can differentiate them to find their tangent vectors, but I don't know how to describe my curves in terms of a position vector??

Can I get a few more nudges!? :wink:

Last edited:
Once you have solved for y as a function of x, y=f(x), then you can easily parametrize your curve to be all points (t,f(t))

Office_Shredder said:
Once you have solved for y as a function of x, y=f(x), then you can easily parametrize your curve to be all points (t,f(t))

So,

[tex]\vec{r_{1}(t)} = t^{2} - 8t +15[/tex]

and

[tex]\vec{r_{2}(t)} = -t^{2} - \frac{7}{2}[/tex]

How's that?

EDIT: Wait,

[tex]\vec{r_{1}(t)} = t\hat{i}+(t^{2} - 8t +15)\hat{j}[/tex]

[tex]\vec{r_{2}(t)} = t\hat{i} + (-t^{2} - \frac{7}{2})\hat{j}[/tex]

I think these 2 look better.

Okay so for my tangent vectors,

[tex]\vec{v_{1}(t)} = \hat{i} + (2t -8)\hat{j}[/tex]

[tex]\vec{v_{2}(t)} = \hat{i} + (-2t)\hat{j}[/tex]

So if I dot these with d,

[tex]\vec{v_{1}(t)} \cdot \vec{d} = a + (2t - 8)b = 0[/tex]

[tex]\vec{v_{2}(t)} \cdot \vec{d} = a + -2tb = 0[/tex]

I'm stuck with 2 equations and 3 unknowns (I don't know t!), how can I fix this!? Can I get a third equation somehow!?

EDIT: We can't assume that both curves will have the same parameter t, can we?

So,

[tex]\vec{r_{2}(s)} = s\hat{i} + (-s^{2} - \frac{7}{2})\hat{j}[/tex]

and,

[tex]\vec{v_{2}(s)} = \hat{i} + (-2s)\hat{j}[/tex]

therefore,

[tex]\vec{v_{2}(s)} \cdot \vec{d} = a + -2sb = 0[/tex]

So it looks like I need another 2 equations hmmm...

Last edited:
and then finding another equation that it must satisfy...

What could it be!??!? I'm so close!

EDIT: Not so close anymore :wink: had to edit post above this

I have it solved!

Last edited:
jegues said:
So it looks like I need another 2 equations hmmm...

You also know that [itex]\textbf{d}[/itex] goes from [itex]\textbf{r}_1(t)[/itex] to [itex]\textbf{r}_2(s)[/itex], right?

Related to Shortest distance between 2 curves

1. What is the shortest distance between two curves?

The shortest distance between two curves is the perpendicular distance between the closest points on the two curves. This distance is measured along a line that is perpendicular to both curves at those closest points.

2. How do you calculate the shortest distance between two curves?

The shortest distance between two curves can be calculated by finding the equations of the curves, finding the closest points on each curve, and then finding the distance between those points using the distance formula.

3. Can there be more than one shortest distance between two curves?

Yes, it is possible for there to be more than one shortest distance between two curves. This can occur if the curves intersect at multiple points or if the curves are tangent to each other at more than one point.

4. Why is finding the shortest distance between two curves important?

Finding the shortest distance between two curves is important in various fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics. It can help determine the optimal path for objects to travel between two curves or the minimum distance between two objects in space.

5. What are some real-life applications of finding the shortest distance between two curves?

Real-life applications of finding the shortest distance between two curves include determining the minimum fuel consumption for a spacecraft traveling between two planets, designing the most efficient roller coaster track, and calculating the minimum distance between two objects in a collision scenario.