Short Answer SHM of diatomic molecule

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of two identical atoms in a diatomic molecule as harmonic oscillators, with their center of mass remaining at rest. The first question asks to show that the momenta of the atoms relative to the center of mass are p and -p at any given instant. The second question asks to show that the total kinetic energy of the two atoms at any instant is equivalent to that of a single object with mass m/2 and momentum p. Finally, the third question considers the case where the atoms are not identical, and shows that the result from the first question still holds while the mass of the single object in the second question is (m_1)(m_2)/(m_1+m_2),
hskrnt8590

Homework Statement

Two identical atoms in a diatomic molecule vibrate as harmonic oscillators. However, their center of mass, midway between them, remains at rest.

1)Show that at any instant, the momenta of the atoms relative to the center of mass are p and -p

2)Show that the total kinetic energy K of the two atoms at any instant is the same as that of a single object with mass m/2 with a momentum of magnitude p .

3)If the atoms are not identical but have masses m_1 and m_2, show that the result of part (a) still holds and the single object's mass in part (b) is (m_1)(m_2)/(m_1+m_2). The quantity (m_1)(m_2)/(m_1+m_2) is called the reduced mass of the system.

Homework Equations

Energy= 1/2mv^2 + 1/2kx^2 = 1/2kA^2
Momentum= p= mv
Period= T = 2pi (m/k)^(1/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a short answer problem and I really don't know how to go about this for sure. I think that you can assume that it is working like a spring.

1) I don't know how to show any work for number one, but would it be p= -p because there are no external forces acting? They are the same atoms, so they have to have the same mass and velocity and p=mv.

2)For this all I think is that the KE of the single object would be:
1/2(m/2)v^2= 1/2kA^2. This is for the case when x=0, so there is no potential energy from the spring.

3)This I have no idea.

We really haven't been over anything like this in class, so I am not sure what to do. Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
any help guys?

Shameless bump. Anything will help.

Related to Short Answer SHM of diatomic molecule

1. What is SHM of a diatomic molecule?

SHM (Simple Harmonic Motion) of a diatomic molecule refers to the periodic back-and-forth motion of the molecule around its equilibrium position. It is caused by the alternating forces between the atoms, which are constantly trying to pull the molecule towards their respective positions.

2. How is SHM of a diatomic molecule different from other types of motion?

SHM of a diatomic molecule is different from other types of motion because it follows a specific pattern and is characterized by a restoring force that always points towards the equilibrium position. This results in a sinusoidal motion, unlike the linear or circular motion seen in other types of motion.

3. What factors affect the SHM of a diatomic molecule?

The SHM of a diatomic molecule is affected by several factors, including the mass of the atoms, the bond strength between them, and the distance between the atoms. These factors determine the frequency and amplitude of the SHM, as well as the energy of the molecule.

4. Can SHM of a diatomic molecule be observed in real life?

Yes, SHM of a diatomic molecule can be observed in real life. For example, the oscillation of a pendulum or a spring-mass system follows SHM and can be used to model the motion of a diatomic molecule. Additionally, spectroscopic techniques can also be used to observe the vibrations of diatomic molecules.

5. What are some applications of understanding SHM of diatomic molecules?

Understanding SHM of diatomic molecules has several applications in different fields. In chemistry, it helps in understanding the bonding and energy levels of molecules. In physics, it can be used to study the behavior of waves and oscillatory systems. It also has applications in engineering, such as designing shock absorbers and tuning musical instruments.