Shor's algorithm, definition of modulo

In summary, the first definition of a mod N yields a different result than the second definition. Shor's algorithm uses the second definition.
mupsi
Hi guys,
My question shouldn't take too long to be answered but I simply can't find anything using a google search. It's more of a problem from number theory rather than a physical one. I am referring to the Wikipedia article to Shor's algorithm and I still can't get my head around how the modulo operation can yield a negative remainder ( 6) under "classical part"). Both a^(r/2) and N are positive numbers and I am using the definition:

a mod N=r : Find numbers q and r such that: a=q*N+ r, with abs(r)<N
(Am I correct that if a<N, r=N-a ?)

There ist still a sign ambiguity but they choose r to be positive. So by definition the remainder can't be negative. My assumption: In Shor's algorithm they use a different definition.
Using anove definition without the restriction abs(N) yields a positive number r1 and a negative number r2 and they choose r=+/-min(abs(r1),abs(r2)). Am I correct? If not how else can this operation yield -1?

Physics news on Phys.org
mupsi said:
(Am I correct that if a<N, r=N-a ?)
Hi mupsi:

I am quite rusty WRT this kind of problem, and I have never seen a problem like this where r is negative. However, I believe that if a < N, then r = a as q=0.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Buzz

You are correct that, strictly speaking, the result of a 'mod n' operation must be an integer between 0 and n-1. Writing '-1 mod n' is just a shorthand way of writing 'n-1'.
You can think of it as a formula rather than a constant, ie '-1' denotes the additive inverse of 1 in the ring that is the integers mod n.

yes you're right. I was half asleep,when I posted this. In the first case, a mod N = a, when a<N. So we agree

andrewkirk said:
You are correct that, strictly speaking, the result of a 'mod n' operation must be an integer between 0 and n-1. Writing '-1 mod n' is just a shorthand way of writing 'n-1'.
You can think of it as a formula rather than a constant, ie '-1' denotes the additive inverse of 1 in the ring that is the integers mod n.

I give you an example:
(first definition)
15 mod 9 : 15= 1*9+6, therefore r=6 > 0
but we also have
15= 2*9 - 3,
according to the secound definition we have r=-3 since abs(-3)<abs(6)
Am I right in assuming that they use the latter definition in Shor's algorithm?

@mupsi There is no role for the use of an absolute value in defining what x mod y means.
The following definition quoted above is faulty:
a mod N=r : Find numbers q and r such that: a=q*N+ r, with abs(r)<N
It should be

a mod N=r iff ##a, N## and ##r## are integers, with ##0\leq r<N##, and there exists an integer q such that: a=q*N+ r

Nor is there, as far as I can see from the wiki article, any role for absolute values in the Shor algorithm.

15 mod 9 is 6, not 3.

andrewkirk said:
@mupsi

It should be

a mod N=r iff ##a, N## and ##r## are integers, with ##0\leq r<N##, and there exists an integer q such that: a=q*N+ r

Nor is there, as far as I can see from the wiki article, any role for absolute values in the Shor algorithm.

15 mod 9 is 6, not 3.

Ok and I understand that. But this still doesn't explain the case a^(r/2) mod N = -1. I didn't understand what you meant in your first post. Can you give a specific example (maybe with numbers). How is M mod N =r with r<0 to be interpreted?

Interpret it as ##a \mod N=N+r##. Then you will have ##0\leq N+r<N##.

andrewkirk said:
Interpret it as ##a \mod N=N+r##. Then you will have ##0\leq N+r<N##.
so a^(r/2) mod N =-1 actually means a^(r/2) mod N = N-1 in other words: find integers k and r such that a^(r/2)=k*N +N-1 ? Which of course satisfies remainder=N-1<N. To avoid any confusions: we have used r to denote the remainder before but in this case it's the exponent.

mupsi said:
so a^(r/2) mod N =-1 actually means a^(r/2) mod N = N-1 in other words: find integers k and r such that a^(r/2)=k*N +N-1 ? Which of course satisfies remainder=N-1<N. To avoid any confusions: we have used r to denote the remainder before but in this case it's the exponent.
r is already defined from the subroutine in the step before.

Strictly speaking, an integer K modulo a (positive) integer N should be an element of the group "the integers modulo N", which is sometimes denoted by ZN. (Technically, this is the quotient group of the integers Z by its subgroup NZ.)

For the purposes of calculation, it suffices to represent ZN as a set of integers containing just one representative for each of its elements.

The most obvious way to do this is to use {0, 1, 2, ..., N-1}. But this is not the only way to do this.

For instance, if N is an odd number, it's frequently more convenient to use as representatives the nice and symmetrical set {-M, -M+1, ..., M} where M = (N-1)/2.

So for example, Z7 could be represented by {-3, -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3}. Compared to the obvious method, -3 ≈ -3+7 = 4; -2 ≈ -2+7 = 5, etc., where ≅ means "represents the same element of Z7 as".

You want to know the 4th power in Z7 of -2 ? Just take its 4th power as an integer, and then add or subtract enough 7's to put the result in the range -3, ..., 3 again. So you would get (-2)4 = 16, and 16 - 7 - 7 = 2, which is again in range. (If instead you had to take the 4th power of the equivalent representative, namely 5, this would be more work.)

[[[NOTE: Originally I wrote that ZN is a group. In fact, a commutative group. This is true, with respect to the group operation of addition. But as in the example of

(-2)4

in Z7, it also makes perfect sense to multiply elements of ZN as well. And as you might hope, multiplication distributes over addition, just as with the integers, reals, and complexes. Also, 1 in ZN behaves as a multiplicative identity.

All these things make ZN into what mathematicians call a ring. What you often don't have are multiplicative inverses. The only cases where all the nonzero elements do have multiplicative inverses are when N is a prime number. Otherwise, only some of the nonzero elements will have multiplicative inverses.]]]

Last edited:
Likes mupsi
that makes perfect sense. Thank you. Basically, to get from the "new" representation (the ring) to the one that is commonly used, do:
r->N+r, in case the remainder is negative and r->r when the remainder is positive. That way you have unique mapping between the two representations.
Thanks mate

Just to be ultra clear, if you were somewhat ornery (or had a special reason for doing so), you could even take the set of integers {11, 12, 13, 14, 31, 37, 50} as your representatives. Not that I can think of any reason to do that. So to get these to correspond to the usual set {0, ..., 6} you might have to subtract more than just one times 7 to get to the usual set. In fact, {11, 12, 13, 14, 31, 37, 50} would correspond — if listed in the same order — to {4, 5, 6, 0, 3, 2, 1} in the usual set.

Related to Shor's algorithm, definition of modulo

1. What is Shor's algorithm and how does it work?

Shor's algorithm is a quantum algorithm developed by mathematician Peter Shor in 1994. It is used to efficiently find the prime factors of large numbers, which is a task that is very difficult for classical computers. The algorithm works by using quantum computers to find the period of a function, which can then be used to determine the prime factors of a number.

2. Why is Shor's algorithm significant in the field of quantum computing?

Shor's algorithm is significant because it is one of the first quantum algorithms to show a significant speedup compared to classical algorithms. It demonstrated that quantum computers have the potential to solve certain problems much faster than classical computers, which has major implications for fields such as cryptography and number theory.

3. What is the definition of modulo and how is it used in Shor's algorithm?

The modulo function, also known as the modulus or remainder function, is a mathematical operation that calculates the remainder after dividing one number by another. In Shor's algorithm, the modulo function is used to find the period of a function, which is a crucial step in determining the prime factors of a number.

4. Can Shor's algorithm be used to break encryption?

Yes, Shor's algorithm can be used to break certain encryption methods that rely on the difficulty of factoring large numbers. This includes the widely used RSA encryption scheme. However, it should be noted that the current state of quantum computers is not advanced enough to break encryption in a practical timeframe.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges to implementing Shor's algorithm?

One major limitation of Shor's algorithm is that it requires a large number of qubits and a high level of precision in quantum operations. This makes it difficult to implement in current quantum computers, which have a limited number of qubits and are prone to errors. Additionally, the algorithm requires a large amount of classical computer processing to control and interpret the results of the quantum operations, which can be a challenge to achieve efficiently.