Shockwave-Boundary layer interaction

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of shock wave boundary layer interaction at supersonic speeds. The participants are looking for resources and literature to better understand the phenomenon, but it seems that a comprehensive explanation is still lacking. One person suggests a paper on Science Direct and mentions that they are currently working on the problem. The conversation also reveals that the participants are both from India and may be working on a project sponsored by DRDO.
vader
Hi
In the case of a moving ramp/oscillating flap at supersonic speeds(m=2.8-3), we get a shock wave boundary layer interaction which is although mentioned in most research papers but no solid literary piece is found on it.( as i checked out)
Can anyone help me in this direction?
Something to better understand what exactly happens around that region?
TIA

Physics news on Phys.org
i wonder if u checked this:
Shock/boundary-layer interactions: Possible sources of unsteadiness- J.-P. Dussauge

its available at Science Direct. It gives a good insight into the problem. A full-filling explanation is still not there, though. :(

u can refer to other papers by Dassauge & Dolling too.
hope this helps a bit.

thanks for your reply
i have read into the papers by Dolling and further by Chapman et al.
But what i wanted to know was that , is there any college level book looking into this problem in general, so that it might help a beginner too to understand this.
TIA

as i told you, the question is still very much open... you won't find a good description in any book. :(
All we know is 'something happens around that place', what is it, we don't know, neither can we predict the downstraeam conditions accurately.
At my place, we're trying to analyse reason for this unsteadiness. In case i get something solid, i'd let you know. for the time being, all we can do is keep looking into the published papers.
have a good time studying SWBLI. :)

ok cool ... yea i guess i'll probably be doing that this summer :)
well by the way, where is your place exactly?

vader said:
ok cool ... yea i guess i'll probably be doing that this summer :)
well by the way, where is your place exactly?

INDIA :)
good, you'll enjoy the thing!
by the way, where are you from?

india bro are you working on some DRDO sponsored project.?

yeah!
where in INDIA are u?

shucks...
dude i sit ryt nxt 2 u in brijesh's lab!
ritesh
Wth!

vader said:
shucks...
dude i sit ryt nxt 2 u in brijesh's lab!
ritesh
Wth!

hahahaha
:smile:

Related to Shockwave-Boundary layer interaction

1. What is a shockwave-boundary layer interaction?

A shockwave-boundary layer interaction occurs when a shockwave from a supersonic flow interacts with the boundary layer of a solid surface, causing changes in the flow properties and potentially leading to aerodynamic issues.

2. How does a shockwave affect the boundary layer?

A shockwave can cause a sudden increase in pressure and temperature in the boundary layer, which can lead to flow separation, increased drag, and decreased lift on the surface.

3. What factors can influence the severity of a shockwave-boundary layer interaction?

The severity of a shockwave-boundary layer interaction can be influenced by factors such as the angle of attack, Mach number, surface roughness, and the shape of the body.

4. What are some applications of studying shockwave-boundary layer interactions?

Studying shockwave-boundary layer interactions is important for understanding and improving the aerodynamics of supersonic and hypersonic vehicles, as well as for designing more efficient and reliable structures for high-speed flight.

5. How do scientists and engineers mitigate the effects of shockwave-boundary layer interactions?

To mitigate the effects of shockwave-boundary layer interactions, various techniques such as passive and active control methods, surface treatments, and aerodynamic shaping can be used. These methods aim to reduce the intensity of the shockwave or modify the boundary layer to prevent flow separation and improve the overall aerodynamic performance.