Shocking Theory: Light Bulbs Suck Dark In

In summary, there is a joke theory circulating about light sources actually sucking in darkness instead of emitting light. This theory has been debunked and is not based on any official research from Bell laboratories. The source was not cited in the conversation, causing some confusion among forum members.
BosonJaw
Without taking up too much time, I came across this ridiculous article (only pasted the first 2 paragraphs) which supposedly was discovered out of Bell laboratories. What is this nonsense??

"A few leading scientists have come up with a new theory that is sending shock waves through the world of physics. Ever since Benjamin Franklin -- and maybe before -- people have believed that light emitted outward and replaced the emptiness we call darkness. Today this old theory is in question.

According to some researchers the sources of light -- the sun, candles, light bulbs -- actually suck dark in. In enlightened circles light bulbs are more accurately called dark suckers. Behind this scientific breakthrough lie some shocking facts."

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the forum policies here are conflicting: should you have cited your source (so we can tell you whether it's humour, say), or are you prohibited from doing so?

Boson, in the future, do include a link to the source.

In any case, the theory of "dark suckers" is a joke, and a pretty funny one at that!

See, for instance, post #7: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?goto=lastpost&t=4463

Also see: http://home.netcom.com/~rogermw/darksucker.html

oh, sorry guys. It was a "heard it through the grape vine deal". I also heard it was backed by Bell labs, however I couldn't find anything official upon my search attempt, just the occasional physics enthusiasts "dark suckers" reiteration page. Out of respect for everyone here I did not want to waste your time. Sorry and thanks!

Related to Shocking Theory: Light Bulbs Suck Dark In

1. How does the "Shocking Theory" propose that light bulbs suck dark in?

The "Shocking Theory" suggests that light bulbs create a vacuum-like effect, pulling in surrounding darkness and illuminating the area.

2. Is there any scientific evidence to support this theory?

Currently, there is no scientific evidence to support this theory. It is purely a hypothetical concept and has not been proven through experiments or research.

3. Can this phenomenon be observed in any other objects besides light bulbs?

No, this theory is specific to light bulbs and has not been observed in any other objects. Other sources of light, such as the sun or a fire, do not exhibit this phenomenon.

4. How does this theory explain the function of light bulbs?

The "Shocking Theory" does not explain the function of light bulbs. It is simply a hypothetical concept that suggests an alternative explanation for how light bulbs may work.

5. Could this theory potentially change our understanding of light and electricity?

At this time, there is no evidence to support this theory and it has not been widely accepted by the scientific community. Therefore, it is unlikely to significantly impact our understanding of light and electricity.