Shining Monochromatic Light on a strawberry....

• Thread starter revv
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, using a prism to refract the light from the sun into the visible spectrum and placing a red strawberry in the different colors would result in the strawberry appearing black under blue monochromatic light due to its ability to absorb all colors and reflect red. This experiment would need to be conducted in a dark place with sunlight and may not work in open space.
revv
What would happen if I use a prism to refract the light from the sun into the visible spectrum and put a RED strawberry in the different colors?

For example if I put the strawberry over the Blue color what would happen?

Science news on Phys.org
revv said:
What would happen if I use a prism to refract the light from the sun into the visible spectrum and put a RED strawberry in the different colors?

For example if I put the strawberry over the Blue color what would happen?
What do you think would happen? Why does a strawberry look red when white light is shined on it? :smile:

Well the simple answer I think is because it absorbs all colors and reflects red?

So if I put it under blue monochromatic light it will appear black? I think?

revv said:
Well the simple answer I think is because it absorbs all colors and reflects red?

So if I put it under blue monochromatic light it will appear black? I think?
Yep. :smile:

https://image.slidesharecdn.com/lig...01/95/light-lesson-4-22-728.jpg?cb=1266981353
light-lesson-4-22-728.jpg

Likes revv
I want to test this out but for this to work using a prism and sun light I would have to put the strawberry in a dark place and shine the color on it?

And this probably wouldn't work if I try doing it in open space?

Thats neat! Thanks!

Last edited:
Likes berkeman

Related to Shining Monochromatic Light on a strawberry....

1. What is the purpose of shining monochromatic light on a strawberry?

Shining monochromatic light on a strawberry allows scientists to study how the light is absorbed and reflected by the strawberry's pigments. This can provide information about the strawberry's chemical composition and overall health.

2. How is the monochromatic light chosen for the experiment?

The monochromatic light used in this experiment is typically chosen to match the absorption spectrum of the strawberry's pigments. This allows for more accurate and specific results.

3. What equipment is needed to shine monochromatic light on a strawberry?

The main equipment needed for this experiment is a monochromator, which is a device that can produce light of a specific wavelength. Other equipment may include a light source, a spectrometer, and a sample holder to hold the strawberry in place.

4. Can shining monochromatic light on a strawberry harm the fruit?

No, shining monochromatic light on a strawberry does not cause any harm to the fruit. The light used is usually low intensity and does not generate any heat, making it safe for the strawberry and the researcher.

5. What can the results from this experiment tell us about the strawberry?

The results from shining monochromatic light on a strawberry can provide information about its pigments, chemical composition, and overall health. It can also give insight into how the strawberry responds to different wavelengths of light and how it may be affected by environmental factors such as light exposure.