Shim Inductor in Phase Shifted Full Bridge topology

In summary, the purpose of the shim inductor is to increase inductance in the primary circuit, which reduces the ringing frequency and improves efficiency.
Dextrine
What is the purpose of the shim inductor and how exactly does it function in PSFB topology? I noticed that I had dramatically improved efficiency when I added a shim inductor to my circuit, not too sure how or why this works though.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Dextrine said:
What is the purpose of the shim inductor and how exactly does it function in PSFB topology? I noticed that I had dramatically improved efficiency when I added a shim inductor to my circuit, not too sure how or why this works though.
Could you please post a schematic and link to more information about what you are asking? That would help a lot. Thanks.

Likes Dextrine and berkeman
berkeman said:
Could you please post a schematic and link to more information about what you are asking? That would help a lot. Thanks.
Sure,

Here in this document, on page 2. Ls is (plus Db and Dc). Made my circuit have much better efficiency.

Baluncore said:
See fig. 9, and the description below on page 7 of TI Application Report;
"Phase-Shifted Full-Bridge, Zero-Voltage Transition Design Considerations".
http://www.tij.co.jp/jp/lit/an/slua107a/slua107a.pdf
Hmmm, so it's really just to increase inductance? How does that help with efficiency? How strange. Also, how strange that I've never seen this application sheet and the 28950 is the controller I've been using! Thanks for the reply.

I think the problem is that the “leakage inductance” of a transformer primary is in parallel with and so is effectively short circuited by the (backward transformed) output load. That makes it “hard” to drive. By adding series inductance sufficient to cancel switch capacitance it relieves the switches of that in-phase charge transfer twice per cycle. It turns the real losses into a resonant energy circulation without real power losses.

Your attachment did not make it to the post. Drag and drop onto the post when editing.

Baluncore said:
I think the problem is that the “leakage inductance” of a transformer primary is in parallel with and so is effectively short circuited by the (backward transformed) output load. That makes it “hard” to drive. By adding series inductance sufficient to cancel switch capacitance it relieves the switches of that in-phase charge transfer twice per cycle. It turns the real losses into a resonant energy circulation without real power losses.

Your attachment did not make it to the post. Drag and drop onto the post when editing.
Thanks, that makes sense. I'll keep trying to understand your post better. Here is the picture (hopefully it makes it)
upload_2017-2-25_13-53-7.png

Maybe that efficiency improvement resides in achieving a condition of (or near to) Zero Voltage Transition of Mosfets, thus minimizing switching losses.

Baluncore said:

The standard transformer model is seen here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformer

I've reproduced it here with an addition showing a load on the secondary Zs, with its transformed version Zp shown on the primary. The primary leakage inductance is designated Xp, and it would seem to be in series with the transformed secondary load, not in parallel.

TREQCCT.jpg

Attachments

• TREQCCT.jpg
    TREQCCT.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 1,443
Likes berkeman
@Zzaimon seems to have gotten it right. To expand:

The usual timing for the FETs would be A and D turn on and off simultaneously, with B and C switching simultaneously while A,D are off. And vice versa.

upload_2018-11-7_18-8-1.png

from figure 3

The "new" approach has the controller chip modifying the switching times.
Notice that A,D are not switching simultaneously, and neither are B,C.
upload_2018-11-7_18-39-2.png

from figure 4.

In this case FET 'D' switches off before FET 'A' does; and the added inductor in the primary reduces the ringing frequency in the primary circuit.
The ringing frequency is chosen so that the voltage waveform at the FET 'D' Drain (FET 'C' Source) terminal is at its positive peak (the supply voltage) when FET 'C' is switched On. Since there is zero voltage across FET 'C' there is no turn-on loss.
And with 'C' On, FET 'A' is now turned Off.

(Whew!)

Now the Primary circuit is still in its first ringing cycle. Since 'C' is On, the right end of the primary is held at supply voltage and the ringing causes the left end of the Primary to be relatively Negative. At some point the left end of the primary is at the Negative supply voltage. When this occurs there is no voltage across FET 'B', so it is now turned on with zero turn-on loss.

Synopsis:
Starting with FETs 'A' and 'D' on, primary current flowing.
D turns Off
When the ringing voltage rises to the supply voltage, turn On 'C'
Turn Off 'A'
With ringing voltage at Negative supply, Turn On 'B'

Primary polarity switching is now complete.

That's how you get Zero Voltage Switching (ZVS) with an H-bridge power supply.

Rather clever, thanks for the thread.

Cheers,
Tom

p.s. All of this was taken from the TI App Note with a few details skipped... and fewer words to wade thru.

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-7_18-8-1.png
    upload_2018-11-7_18-8-1.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 1,274
  • upload_2018-11-7_18-39-2.png
    upload_2018-11-7_18-39-2.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 1,363
Likes berkeman and dlgoff

Related to Shim Inductor in Phase Shifted Full Bridge topology

1. What is a Shim Inductor in Phase Shifted Full Bridge topology?

A Shim Inductor is a specialized type of inductor used in a Phase Shifted Full Bridge topology. It is typically a flat, thin inductor that is placed between the primary and secondary side of the transformer. It helps to reduce the transformer leakage inductance and improve efficiency and power density in the circuit.

2. How does a Shim Inductor work in a Phase Shifted Full Bridge topology?

A Shim Inductor works by providing an additional inductance in the circuit, which helps to reduce the leakage inductance of the transformer. This results in a more efficient transfer of energy from the primary to the secondary side of the transformer, as well as improved power density.

3. What are the advantages of using a Shim Inductor in a Phase Shifted Full Bridge topology?

There are several advantages to using a Shim Inductor in a Phase Shifted Full Bridge topology. These include improved efficiency and power density, reduced losses and heating in the circuit, and better control over the output voltage and current. It also allows for a smaller and more compact circuit design.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using a Shim Inductor in a Phase Shifted Full Bridge topology?

One potential disadvantage of using a Shim Inductor is the added complexity and cost to the circuit design. It may also require careful placement and sizing to achieve optimal performance. Additionally, it may not be suitable for high-frequency applications due to its physical characteristics.

5. How is a Shim Inductor in Phase Shifted Full Bridge topology different from a regular inductor?

The main difference between a Shim Inductor and a regular inductor is its physical design and placement in the circuit. A Shim Inductor is typically flat and thin, and is placed between the transformer windings. It is also specifically designed to reduce leakage inductance and improve efficiency in a Phase Shifted Full Bridge topology, whereas a regular inductor has a more general purpose in a circuit.