Shifting polar functions vertically

In summary, the conversation is about a function that is harmonic and satisfies certain boundary conditions. The function needs to be shifted vertically to a new location, causing the boundary conditions to no longer be valid at a line passing through the origin. The speaker suggests introducing new variables for the shift in order to make the problem easier to understand. However, the other speaker is not sure if this will work and is still trying to find a solution.
member 428835
Hi PF!

I have a function that looks like this $$f(r,\theta) = \sinh (\omega \log (r))\cos(\omega(\theta - \beta))$$

You'll notice ##f## is harmonic and satisfies the BC's ##f_\theta(\theta = \pm \beta) = 0##. Essentially ##f## has no flux into the wall defined at ##\theta = \pm \beta##. So we can imagine the domain is a sort of groove with it's vertex centered at the origin. However, this groove actually needs to be centered at a different vertical location, ##(h,0)##.

I calculate the new function to be $$f(r,\theta) = \sinh \left(\frac{\omega}{2} \log (r^2-2hr\cos\theta + h^2)\right)\cos\left[\omega\left(\arctan \left(\frac{r\sin\theta}{r \cos \theta-h}\right)- \beta\right)\right]$$
but it's so messy. Any clean-up ideas or different approaches?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't get the bit about fθ(.,-β) being zero. Have I misunderstood the notation?

haruspex said:
I don't get the bit about fθ(.,-β) being zero. Have I misunderstood the notation?
Sorry, what I mean is $$\left.\frac{\partial f}{\partial \theta} \right|_{\theta = \pm \beta} = 0$$
The vertex has angle ##2\beta##.

joshmccraney said:
Sorry, what I mean is $$\left.\frac{\partial f}{\partial \theta} \right|_{\theta = \pm \beta} = 0$$
The vertex has angle ##2\beta##.
Yes, that's what I thought you meant, but you seem to be saying this follows from
joshmccraney said:
##f(r,\theta) = \sinh (\omega \log (r))\cos(\omega(\theta - \beta))##
I get ##\left.\frac{\partial f}{\partial \theta} \right|_{\theta = -\beta} = -\omega\sinh (\omega \log (r))\sin(\omega( - 2\beta))##

haruspex said:
Yes, that's what I thought you meant, but you seem to be saying this follows from

I get ##\left.\frac{\partial f}{\partial \theta} \right|_{\theta = -\beta} = -\omega\sinh (\omega \log (r))\sin(\omega( - 2\beta))##
Oh shoot, sorry, I forgot to say ##\omega = k \pi / \beta : k\in \mathbb N##.

Is there a reason that you can't just introduce new variables for the shift and leave the original equations essentially as-is? I think it would be much more clear. If I were to document or program that problem, I think that is how I would do it.

FactChecker said:
Is there a reason that you can't just introduce new variables for the shift and leave the original equations essentially as-is? I think it would be much more clear. If I were to document or program that problem, I think that is how I would do it.
Can you elaborate?

See, this is one component to a very large problem I'm working on. The issue is, I am in two different coordinate systems that do not have the same center. Obviously in order to have them both work I need to choose one of the two coordinate systems. I know this one is by far easier (namely, I need to shift the vertex to ##(h,0)##).

I also think that when I shift the coordinate system, the BC's are no longer valid at ##\theta = \beta##. Instead, the boundaries are now valid along a line not passing through the origin. Specifically, the upper boundary line is parameterized as $$r = h \csc(\beta - \theta) \sin\beta$$
What do you think? Am I making an error by thinking I can simply shift ##f## vertically, evaluate ##f_\theta## along the shifted line, and still get a good answer? I tried doing that and I'm not getting 0.

Last edited by a moderator:
My suggestion is just a cosmetic difference which I think would make it easier to understand what is going on. I would define the shifted coordinate ##(r',\theta') = (\sqrt {r^2-2hr\cos \theta + h^2}, \frac {r \sin \theta}{r \cos \theta - h})## and then use ##f(r', \theta')##.
I think that combining it all into one equation makes it messy and more difficult to understand. And I don't see any benefit from combining it.

Last edited:
Likes member 428835

Related to Shifting polar functions vertically

1. What is the definition of shifting polar functions vertically?

Shifting polar functions vertically refers to the process of moving a polar function up or down on a polar coordinate system, while maintaining the same shape and orientation.

2. How is shifting polar functions vertically different from shifting horizontally?

Shifting horizontally involves moving a polar function left or right on a polar coordinate system, while keeping its shape and orientation. Shifting vertically, on the other hand, involves moving the function up or down while maintaining shape and orientation.

3. What is the purpose of shifting polar functions vertically?

The purpose of shifting polar functions vertically is to visualize and analyze the effects of changing the vertical position of a polar function on its graph. It can also be used to compare different functions with similar shapes but different positions.

4. Can a polar function be shifted vertically multiple times?

Yes, a polar function can be shifted vertically multiple times. Each time the function is shifted, its position on the polar coordinate system will change, but its shape and orientation will remain the same.

5. How do I shift a polar function vertically on a graph?

To shift a polar function vertically, you can add or subtract a constant value to the original function. This constant value will determine the direction and distance of the shift. For example, adding 2 to the function will move it 2 units up, while subtracting 3 will move it 3 units down.