Shear stress in bending member question

In summary, the conversation is about a question asking for the shear stress at a certain point in a calculation. The original answer did not include the correct units and contained a mistake in calculating the value of Q. The person realizes their mistake and will adjust the units to MPa or N/mm^2.
DrVirz
Hi all,

I was just wondering if someone could confirm that my answer to the below question is correct. The point where the question asks you to find the shear stress is at 2m (n). However, I don't believe this value needs to be included in the calculation anywhere?

Capture_zpso6uj8zje.jpg

IMAG0076_zpsbw7opkea.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
1.) You are incredibly careless with units in this calculation. What are the units of stress? (Hint: it's not kN.)

2.) Your calculation of the shear stress at B contains a mistake in calculating the value of Q.

SteamKing said:
1.) You are incredibly careless with units in this calculation. What are the units of stress? (Hint: it's not kN.)

2.) Your calculation of the shear stress at B contains a mistake in calculating the value of Q.

Oh! My bad! Been a long day.

I will adjust to MPa or N/mm^2

Related to Shear stress in bending member question

1. What is shear stress in a bending member?

Shear stress in a bending member refers to the internal force that acts parallel to the cross-sectional area of a structural member, such as a beam, when it is subjected to a bending load. It is a measure of the resistance of the material to deformation due to the applied load.

2. How is shear stress calculated in a bending member?

Shear stress in a bending member can be calculated by dividing the internal shear force by the cross-sectional area of the member. It is typically measured in units of force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or newtons per square meter (Pa).

3. What factors affect shear stress in a bending member?

The amount of shear stress in a bending member is influenced by a number of factors, including the magnitude and distribution of the bending load, the geometry and material properties of the member, and the support conditions at either end of the member.

4. How does shear stress in a bending member affect the structural integrity?

Shear stress in a bending member can significantly impact the structural integrity of a building or structure. If the shear stress exceeds the yield strength of the material, it can lead to permanent deformation or failure of the member. It is important to consider shear stress in the design and construction of structural elements.

5. How can shear stress in a bending member be reduced?

There are a few ways to reduce shear stress in a bending member, including increasing the cross-sectional area of the member, using a stronger material, or redistributing the load to other members. Properly designing and reinforcing structural elements can also help to minimize shear stress and ensure structural stability.