Shear stress at different points

In summary, the author's working includes the red area because it is connected to the beam at the juncture, but it is not included in the calculation for shear stress in the web at b.
fonseh

Homework Statement

In this notes , i don't understand how the Q=(Ay) of the is considered ...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the both Q at part C and part B should be = (60)(15)(mm^2) ... i have redrawn the structure , i am not sure whether it is correct or not...
From the definition of shear flow , A is the cross section area of segment that is connected to the beam at juncture where the shear flow is calculated . [/B]

Attachments

• shear flow formula.PNG
    shear flow formula.PNG
    14.5 KB · Views: 440
  • shear stress at nail.PNG
    shear stress at nail.PNG
    62.4 KB · Views: 465
  • structure sketch.png
    structure sketch.png
    15.3 KB · Views: 471
Physics news on Phys.org
You changed dimensions from inches to mm incorrectly, but anyway, book solution looks good. At B you find the vert shear stress and complimentary longitudinal shear stress is into the page and they the plane of the nail so you use the full area above b for calculating Q then divide by 2 since there are 2 webs.

Likes fonseh
PhanthomJay said:
You changed dimensions from inches to mm incorrectly, but anyway, book solution looks good. At B you find the vert shear stress and complimentary longitudinal shear stress is into the page and they the plane of the nail so you use the full area above b for calculating Q then divide by 2 since there are 2 webs.
ok , why in the author's working , the red area is included ? I think the red area is not included because the horizontal nail is acting at C , so , according to the formula , the A ' is the area is the area that is connceted to the beam at the juncture , so , i think that the red part is not included

Attachments

• structure sketch (1).png
    structure sketch (1).png
    47.5 KB · Views: 450
fonseh said:
ok , why in the author's working , the red area is included ? I think the red area is not included because the horizontal nail is acting at C , so , according to the formula , the A ' is the area is the area that is connceted to the beam at the juncture , so , i think that the red part is not included
I understand your reasoning, but it is incorrect. Suppose the beam was a solid hollow box, no nails whatsoever, and you wanted to determine the shear stress in the web at b. You would use the full area of the upper flange (7.5 inch width) in calculating Q, and in calculating t, that would be twice the web thickness because there are 2 webs. The entire flange tends to try to slip longitudinally off the webs. It makes no difference to the beam whether it is nailed vertically or horizontally or not at all, as long as there is no slippage, either the nails or the solid wood without nails takes the shear.

It's a bit different at C, because now the upper middle flange tends to slip longitudinally off the webs, so you use hat 4.5 inch width in the Q calcs. Note that the horizontal nails do 't have to be spaced as close as the vert nails, because they carry less stress.

Related to Shear stress at different points

1. What is shear stress at different points?

Shear stress at different points refers to the distribution of shear stress at various locations along a surface or body. This is often represented by a shear stress diagram, which shows the varying levels of shear stress at different points.

2. How is shear stress at different points calculated?

Shear stress at different points can be calculated by dividing the force parallel to the surface by the surface area. This can be represented by the equation τ = F/A, where τ is the shear stress, F is the force, and A is the surface area.

3. What is the significance of studying shear stress at different points?

Studying shear stress at different points is important in understanding the behavior of materials under external forces. It can help engineers and scientists design structures and materials that can withstand shear stress and prevent failure.

4. How does shear stress at different points affect different materials?

The effect of shear stress at different points can vary depending on the material. Some materials, like metals, can withstand high levels of shear stress before experiencing permanent deformation or failure. Others, like fluids, have lower shear strength and can easily deform under shear stress.

5. Can shear stress at different points be controlled or managed?

Yes, shear stress at different points can be controlled or managed through various methods such as using stronger materials, altering the shape or design of a structure, or adding support structures to distribute the stress more evenly. Understanding the distribution of shear stress at different points is crucial in managing and preventing structural failure.