Shear Modulus (G) for Nitronic 50 or XM-19 Hot Rolled Condition

In summary, Shear Modulus (G) for Nitronic 50 or XM-19 Hot Rolled Condition is a measure of a material's resistance to shear deformation. Nitronic 50 and XM-19 are both austenitic stainless steels that have high levels of strength and corrosion resistance. In the hot rolled condition, these materials exhibit a Shear Modulus of approximately 11.2 x 10^6 psi, making them suitable for use in high-stress applications such as aerospace components and marine equipment. This property, along with their other desirable characteristics, makes Nitronic 50 and XM-19 popular choices in a variety of industries.
adv_eng
I am looking for shear modulus (G) for Nitronic 50 or XM-19 High strength hot rolled condition

UNS - S20910 and ASTM A276-10

it is surprising for me that material standards like ASME or ASTM does not provide shear modulus data..?

even checked "http://www.keytometals.com" and "http://www.matweb.com"

but didnt found...

is there alterative source to find shear modulus data...

regards

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
For isotropic materials, $$G = \frac{E}{1 + 2 \nu}$$

A Google search soon found values for Youngs modulus ##E## and Poisson's ratio ##\nu##

AlephZero said:
For isotropic materials, $$G = \frac{E}{1 + 2 \nu}$$

A Google search soon found values for Youngs modulus ##E## and Poisson's ratio ##\nu##

You are correct that the shear modulus can be calculated from Young's modulus and the Poisson ratio, but the formula you gave is incorrect.

G = E/(1+[itex]\nu[/itex])/2

Chestermiller said:
You are correct that the shear modulus can be calculated from Young's modulus and the Poisson ratio, but the formula you gave is incorrect.

Oops. You are right. Of course if should be $$\frac{E}{2(1+\nu)}$$

"E/G = 2.6" is burned into my brain, but that doesn't mean I never make typos!

thank you guys... now i remember; this formula i used in my graduation... :)

Related to Shear Modulus (G) for Nitronic 50 or XM-19 Hot Rolled Condition

1. What is the shear modulus (G) for Nitronic 50 or XM-19 in hot rolled condition?

The shear modulus (G) for Nitronic 50 or XM-19 in hot rolled condition is approximately 77 GPa (11,200 ksi). This value may vary slightly depending on the specific manufacturing process and conditions.

2. How does the shear modulus (G) for Nitronic 50 or XM-19 compare to other stainless steels?

The shear modulus (G) for Nitronic 50 or XM-19 is higher than most other stainless steels, making it a good choice for applications that require high strength and toughness.

3. What factors affect the shear modulus (G) of Nitronic 50 or XM-19 in hot rolled condition?

The shear modulus (G) of Nitronic 50 or XM-19 in hot rolled condition can be affected by factors such as the manufacturing process, heat treatment, and any cold work or deformation that the material has undergone.

4. How does the shear modulus (G) of Nitronic 50 or XM-19 change with temperature?

The shear modulus (G) of Nitronic 50 or XM-19 decreases slightly with increasing temperature, as is the case with most materials. However, it still maintains a relatively high shear modulus even at elevated temperatures.

5. What is the significance of the shear modulus (G) for Nitronic 50 or XM-19 in hot rolled condition?

The shear modulus (G) is an important mechanical property for Nitronic 50 or XM-19 in hot rolled condition, as it measures the material's resistance to shear deformation. This is particularly important in applications where the material is subjected to high stress or impact loading.

Back