Setup for a two spring/two mass system (ODEs)

In summary, the firstmass (2kg) is attached to the spring of mass 3kg by a 1kg spring. The first mass is at rest, while the second mass (3kg) is initially at 1m in the positive direction from the rest position. When the masses are let go, the second mass is pushed towards the wall by the 1kg spring attached to it.
SithsNGiggles

Homework Statement

Suppose a cart of mass 2 kg is attached by a spring of constant k = 1 to a cart of mass 3 kg, which is attached to the wall by a spring also of k = 1. Suppose the initial position of the first cart is 1 m in the positive direction from the rest position, and the second mass starts at the rest position. The masses are not moving and are let go. Find the position of the second mass as a function of time.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

It's been a while since I've taken physics, so I'm a bit lost on the setup for this system. I've attached an image of the scenario. Are my forces (green arrows/text) for each mass correct?

If this is right, then my system of equations is
##\begin{cases}
m_1x_1''=-k_1x_1+k_1x_2\\
m_2x_2''=k_1x_1 + (k_2-k_1)x_2
\end{cases}##

Plugging in the given values, it becomes
##\begin{cases}
2x_1''=-x_1+x_2\\
3x_2''=x_1
\end{cases}##

Or, as a matrix equation,
##\left(\begin{matrix}2&0\\0&3\end{matrix}\right)\vec{x}\;'' = \left(\begin{matrix}-1&1\\1&0\end{matrix}\right)\vec{x}##

Is this all right so far? I'm confident I can solve the system, but not as much about the setup. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Forgot to attach in first post

Attachments

• two springs masses.png
    two springs masses.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 449
The sign of the k2 in your second equation is wrong. To see this, suppose both masses are at the equilibrium positions. Now if x2 increases, both springs will push back in the same direction. The effects of the springs add; they don't subtract.

So I should instead have

SithsNGiggles said:
##\left(\begin{matrix}2&0\\0&3\end{matrix}\right)\vec{x}\;'' = \left(\begin{matrix}-1&1\\1&\color{red}{-2}\end{matrix}\right)\vec{x}##

Is that it?

Yes.

Thanks, I can definitely handle the solution from here. But could you walk me through the setup again (if you have the time, of course)? I don't really follow.

I have to get to class now, but I'll be sure to check back if you or anyone else could explain.

The force on mass 1 due to spring 1 generally has to be either ##k_1(x_2-x_1)## or ##-k_1(x_2-x_1)##. You just have to figure out which one gives the right sign. To do this, look at a simple case. Start off with the masses in their equilibrium positions so that ##x_1=x_2=0##. Now imagine moving mass 1 to the right, which is the positive direction according to your convention, while holding mass 2 stationary. The spring is compressed, so it's going to push mass 1 to the left or in the negative direction. So which expression gives a negative result when ##x_1>0## and ##x_2=0##? That's the one that contributes to the sum of the forces that equals ##m_1 x''_1##. Do a similar analysis for mass 2.

Then move on to spring 2. It's connected only to mass 2, so this time, move mass 2 a little to the right and keep mass 1 at ##x_1=0##. Then analyze the situation the same way.

I think I get it now. I'll try out some more problems. Thanks for the break-down!

Related to Setup for a two spring/two mass system (ODEs)

1. How do I set up the equations of motion for a two spring/two mass system?

In order to set up the equations of motion for a two spring/two mass system, you will need to use Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the sum of all forces acting on an object is equal to its mass times its acceleration. You will need to consider the forces acting on each mass, including the spring forces and any external forces, and set them equal to the mass times its acceleration in the x and y directions.

2. What is the initial condition for a two spring/two mass system?

The initial condition for a two spring/two mass system is the position and velocity of each mass at the beginning of the system's motion. This can be represented as a vector with four elements, corresponding to the x and y positions and velocities of each mass.

3. How do I solve the ODEs for a two spring/two mass system?

The ODEs (ordinary differential equations) for a two spring/two mass system can be solved using numerical methods, such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods. These methods involve breaking down the problem into smaller time intervals and using iterative calculations to approximate the position and velocity of each mass at each time interval.

4. Can I use a different number of springs or masses in this system?

Yes, the equations of motion can be set up for a system with any number of springs and masses. However, the complexity of the equations and the methods used to solve them will increase as the number of springs and masses increases.

5. How do I incorporate damping into the equations for a two spring/two mass system?

In order to incorporate damping into the equations of motion for a two spring/two mass system, you will need to include a damping term in the spring forces. This term will depend on the damping coefficient and the velocities of each mass. The resulting equations will have a similar form to the undamped equations, but with additional terms that account for the energy dissipated due to damping.