Serious problem with Educational Background field.

• Bug
  • Thread starter K^2
  • Start date
In summary, Konstantin Khitrin has a problem with the Educational Background field on his posts on Physics Forums. He is a Ph.D. Candidate at Kent State University, but the Educational Background field on his posts only lists "Ph.D." which has caused some confusion. He is hoping that changes will be made to the field soon.
K^2
Science Advisor
Serious problem with "Educational Background" field.

I am a Ph.D. Candidate at Kent State University. As I am currently working towards a Ph.D., that is exactly what I have selected in the drop down menu titled "Highest level of education you have completed or currently working towards". Next to my posts, however, it merely states "Ph.D.," which has confused some simple-minded individuals to the extent of contacting my Ph.D. Advisor, who is quite naturally displeased. He views it as a serious problem, and so he delegated resolution back onto me.

Now, I'm not really happy with that becoming my problem all out of the sudden, so I'm here to make it somebody else's. I can see two simple resolutions. Either adding "In progress" checkbox next to the drop-down, and subsequently coding that into the forum's skin, or requiring completed-only degree in the drop down.

Later would require no new code to be written, so I would imagine it to be a simpler option. If that's the course taken, I would also point out that "Ph.D. Candidate" is not in the drop-down list. It's superfluous if the drop-down indicates degree worked towards, but is necessary in case it becomes the highest degree attained, as many universities require no Master's, and thus, Ph.D. Candidacy taking its place.

I hope the issue is quickly resolved, because I'm really not in the mood of walking all the way over to legal department over such a trivial matter.

Thank you for your time.

- Konstantin A. Khitrin.

Physics news on Phys.org

The Mentors have been discussing this issue for a while now. Greg is travelling, but we hope to make changes to this when he gets back.

Thank you for quick response. Any idea on the time table? Just so that I have something to report back.

Greg is due back around September 9th, but he may be able to help with this before then, depending on Internet access issues. He tends to travel to some pretty out-of-the-way places.

K^2 said:
Thank you for quick response. Any idea on the time table? Just so that I have something to report back.
In the meantime you an add that you are working towards a PhD, or simply choose to delete the information, as more and more people are doing.

See Hootenanny's posts for how he does it.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3478671&postcount=2

K^2 said:
I am a Ph.D. Candidate at Kent State University. As I am currently working towards a Ph.D., that is exactly what I have selected in the drop down menu titled "Highest level of education you have completed or currently working towards". Next to my posts, however, it merely states "Ph.D.," which has confused some simple-minded individuals to the extent of contacting my Ph.D. Advisor, who is quite naturally displeased. He views it as a serious problem, and so he delegated resolution back onto me.
It seems very strange to me that someone would contact your advisor simply because some website appears to claim that you have a Ph.D. Is it common to have people check up on the credentials we post on PF?

It seems even stranger that there would be any basis for getting lawyers involved...

We have to deal with many members who somehow cannot put things into perspective. The member who contacted your advisor with such vindictive action was way out of line. We are continuing our own investigation and will try to resolve this without compromising anyone's privacy.

Zz.

This is a great example of why I do not make my real name public. Puplic forums are frequented by a wide varity of people, not all of whom have warm fuzziy feelings for everyone.

Related to Serious problem with Educational Background field.

H2 What is the current state of the educational background field?

The current state of the educational background field is constantly evolving and changing. With advancements in technology and new research, the field is always adapting to best meet the needs of students and educators.

H2 What are the key challenges facing the educational background field?

Some key challenges facing the educational background field include access and equity, funding and resources, and keeping up with changing technology and educational methods. Additionally, there are challenges in addressing the diverse needs and learning styles of students.

H2 How does the educational background field impact students' academic success?

The educational background field plays a crucial role in students' academic success by providing the foundation for their learning and development. A strong educational background can equip students with the necessary skills and knowledge to excel in their academic pursuits.

H2 How does research play a role in the educational background field?

Research is an essential aspect of the educational background field as it helps to identify and address key challenges and inform best practices. Through research, new methods and strategies can be developed and implemented to improve the quality of education.

H2 How can we improve the current state of the educational background field?

Improving the current state of the educational background field requires collaboration and innovation. This includes investing in resources and technology, addressing issues of equity and access, and continuously evaluating and adapting educational practices based on research and feedback.