Serious problem with centripetal force

In summary, the conversation discusses two problems involving centripetal forces. In the first problem, a disc is rotating at a rate of 0.5 revolutions per second and a block is placed on it. The resulting centripetal force is calculated to be 1.2 N. In the second problem, a carousel is rotating with a period of 4 seconds and the centripetal force is calculated to be 1.97 N. However, this answer is found to be incorrect according to a website, which uses a different method to calculate the radius and angle. The conversation ends with a question about potential mistakes in the calculation.
Prometium

Homework Statement

The soluble problem We have a disc, horisontal, which is rotating 0.5 revolutions per second. A block is placed on this disc with the mass 0.6 kg and 0.2 meters from the shaft. First, I convert 0.5 rates per second to T = 2 seconds. w = 2∏/2 --> w = ∏ --> m = 0.6 kg --> r = 0.2 meters

Fc = (0.6)(0.2)(∏)^2 --> Fc = 1.184352528 N --> Fc = 1.2 N

This is correct according to facit. So easy, but I just wanted to show how different this is in comparism to the coming one.
The insoluble problem A carousel, where the distance between centre and attachment to chain is 0.8 meters, the chain is 1.0 meter long and weight in the chain 1.0 kg. T = 4.0 s. Now, centripetal forces is asked, and I do the same as above: w = 2∏/4 --> w = ∏/2

Fc = (1.0)(0.8)(∏/2)^2 --> Fc = 1.97392088 N

This is according wrong according to:

http://www.walter-fendt.de/ph14d/karussell.htm

Even though the latter is hanging in a chain, the horizontal force should be the same; but resulting different. In Walter Fendt, they have found out that the radius is 1.06 m (0.8 + 0.26). The angle is unknown, but they have through 0.26 m counted this: sin a = 0.26/1.00 --> a = 15.

Homework Equations

Fc = mrw^2

w = 2∏/T

What have I missed?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What does 'rates per second' mean? Is it supposed to be 'radians per second' or 'revolutions per second'?

SteamKing said:
What does 'rates per second' mean? Is it supposed to be 'radians per second' or 'revolutions per second'?

It was supposed to mean "revolutions per seconds". In fact, I have always believed that RPM on the motorcycle and cars meant rate per minute, but I did just learn that it means revolutions per minute. English is my second language.

Related to Serious problem with centripetal force

What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is a type of force that acts on an object moving in a circular path, pulling it towards the center of the circle.

What is the difference between centripetal force and centrifugal force?

Centripetal force is the force that pulls an object towards the center of a circle, while centrifugal force is the apparent outward force that a rotating object appears to experience due to its inertia.

What happens if there is a problem with centripetal force?

If there is a problem with centripetal force, it can lead to an object deviating from its circular motion and potentially causing a serious accident.

How can we calculate centripetal force?

Centripetal force can be calculated using the formula F = mv^2/r, where F is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

What are some real-life examples of centripetal force?

Some common examples of centripetal force are the force that keeps planets in orbit around the sun, the force that keeps a roller coaster on its track, and the force that keeps a satellite in its orbit around Earth.