Series to compare to for comparison test

In summary: And you were on the right track before too. Just a small mistake in the algebra. Good job!In summary, the question asks if the series \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}a_n where a_n = \frac{(n+1)^{1/3}-n^{1/3}}{n} converges or diverges. The ratio and root tests are inconclusive, but by applying the Binomial Theorem and rationalizing the denominator, it is shown that the series is less than the convergent series \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n^{5/3}} and therefore converges by the p-test.
ToNoAvail27

Homework Statement

Does [itex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}a_n[/itex] where [itex]a_n = \frac{(n+1)^{1/3}-n^{1/3}}{n}[/itex] converge or diverge?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The ratio test is inconclusive, as is the root test. The limit is equal to 0, but that doesn't say much. I've tried to find another series to compare it too, but with the cube roots, I'm having a bit of trouble. I have, but they've all been bigger and have diverged, which again doesn't help. Usually, I can guess one by seeing if one term takes over the other over time, but this one is stumping me. Could I perhaps get a hint as to what to consider in order to find a suitable series? I just need a small push in the right direction. Thanks for your time

Physics news on Phys.org
There's always the Binomial Theorem!

ToNoAvail27 said:

Homework Statement

Does [itex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}a_n[/itex] where [itex]a_n = \frac{(n+1)^{1/3}-n^{1/3}}{n}[/itex] converge or diverge?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The ratio test is inconclusive, as is the root test. The limit is equal to 0, but that doesn't say much. I've tried to find another series to compare it too, but with the cube roots, I'm having a bit of trouble. I have, but they've all been bigger and have diverged, which again doesn't help. Usually, I can guess one by seeing if one term takes over the other over time, but this one is stumping me. Could I perhaps get a hint as to what to consider in order to find a suitable series? I just need a small push in the right direction. Thanks for your time

If they were square roots I'd multiply numerator and denominator by the conjugate to 'rationalize' it. Can you think of a way to apply ##a^3-b^3=(a-b)(a^2+ab+b^2)## to accomplish the same thing with cube roots?

Dick said:
If they were square roots I'd multiply numerator and denominator by the conjugate to 'rationalize' it. Can you think of a way to apply ##a^3-b^3=(a-b)(a^2+ab+b^2)## to accomplish the same thing with cube roots?

But of course! =D

[itex] \frac{(n+1)^{1/3}-n^{1/3}}{n} = \frac{(n+1)^{1/3}-n^{1/3}}{n} * \frac{(n+1)^{2}+n(n+1)+n^{2}}{(n+1)^{2}+n(n+1)+n^{2}} = \frac{n+1-n}{n[(n+1)^{2}+n(n+1)+n^{2}]} = \frac{1}{3n^{3}+3n^{2}+n} [/itex]. Since [itex]n\ge 1[/itex], [itex] 3n^{3} < 3n^{3}+3n^{2}+n \Rightarrow \frac{1}{3n^{3}+3n^{2}+n} < \frac{1}{3n^{3}} [/itex], the later of which converges since its exponent is greater than [itex]1[/itex]! Thanks!

There's something not quite right there. There should be fractional powers, surely?

ToNoAvail27 said:
But of course! =D

[itex] \frac{(n+1)^{1/3}-n^{1/3}}{n} = \frac{(n+1)^{1/3}-n^{1/3}}{n} * \frac{(n+1)^{2}+n(n+1)+n^{2}}{(n+1)^{2}+n(n+1)+n^{2}} = \frac{n+1-n}{n[(n+1)^{2}+n(n+1)+n^{2}]} = \frac{1}{3n^{3}+3n^{2}+n} [/itex]. Since [itex]n\ge 1[/itex], [itex] 3n^{3} < 3n^{3}+3n^{2}+n \Rightarrow \frac{1}{3n^{3}+3n^{2}+n} < \frac{1}{3n^{3}} [/itex], the later of which converges since its exponent is greater than [itex]1[/itex]! Thanks!

Your 'conjugate' part is wrong. For example ##((n+1)^{1/3})^2## isn't equal to ##(n+1)^2##.

Oops
I guess in my "excitement" I neglected the powers.
So we ACTUALLY obtain [itex]\frac{1}{n[(n+1)^{2/3}+n^{1/3}(n+1)^{1/3} + n^{2/3}]}[/itex], and now [itex]n^{2/3} < (n+1)^{2/3}+n^{1/3}(n+1)^{1/3} + n^{2/3} [/itex] so that [itex]\frac{1}{n[(n+1)^{2/3}+n^{1/3}(n+1)^{1/3} + n^{2/3}]} < \frac{1}{n^{\frac{5}{3}}}[/itex], which converges by the p-test. Is this now correct, or am I still going too fast and making mistakes? Thanks everyone for the comments so far.

ToNoAvail27 said:
Oops
I guess in my "excitement" I neglected the powers.
So we ACTUALLY obtain [itex]\frac{1}{n[(n+1)^{2/3}+n^{1/3}(n+1)^{1/3} + n^{2/3}]}[/itex], and now [itex]n^{2/3} < (n+1)^{2/3}+n^{1/3}(n+1)^{1/3} + n^{2/3} [/itex] so that [itex]\frac{1}{n[(n+1)^{2/3}+n^{1/3}(n+1)^{1/3} + n^{2/3}]} < \frac{1}{n^{\frac{5}{3}}}[/itex], which converges by the p-test. Is this now correct, or am I still going too fast and making mistakes? Thanks everyone for the comments so far.

Yes, that looks much better.

Related to Series to compare to for comparison test

1. What is the purpose of a comparison test in a series?

The purpose of a comparison test is to determine the convergence or divergence of a series by comparing it to a known series that has already been proven to converge or diverge.

2. How do I choose which series to compare to?

The series you choose to compare to should be similar in terms of terms and their behavior. It should also be one that you already know the convergence or divergence of.

3. Can any series be used for comparison in a comparison test?

No, not any series can be used for comparison. The series used for comparison should be a known series with a known convergence or divergence.

4. What is the difference between a comparison test and a limit comparison test?

A comparison test directly compares the given series to another known series, while a limit comparison test involves taking the limit of the quotient of the two series to determine convergence or divergence.

5. Are there any limitations to using a comparison test in series analysis?

Yes, there are limitations to using a comparison test. It can only determine convergence or divergence, and it may not work for more complex series with alternating signs or coefficients.