Series Tests and Taylor Series

In summary, a taylor series is a series that is expressed in a way that makes it simple to see which terms have negative signs and which terms have positive signs. The different values of k, k + 1, etc. are so that the expression in the summation matches the terms in the series.
Physics2341313
Have a quick question about taylor series. We covered taylor series somewhat in class, but there was a complete lack of explanation and our calculus book literally covers the topic in a single page.
I understand the idea of a taylor series and how its related to a power series, but what I don't understand and neither does anyone else is why the k term in a taylor series is sometimes a k+1 etc as in why it changes.
For example on some taylor series we will have (-1)^k but on others we will have (-1)^k+1 and for the factorial we will have k! or sometimes 2k! etc etc. Why does this happen? Just looking for someone to point me in the right direction or give an explanation.

Also, are there any good summarized notes available online for the series tests, have a midterm in a few days and we have barely covered any of this stuff, so I'm kind of lost at this point.

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics2341313 said:
Have a quick question about taylor series. We covered taylor series somewhat in class, but there was a complete lack of explanation and our calculus book literally covers the topic in a single page.
Physics2341313 said:
Wow! That's a pretty sparse treatment. Who's the author of your book?
I understand the idea of a taylor series and how its related to a power series, but what I don't understand and neither does anyone else is why the k term in a taylor series is sometimes a k+1 etc as in why it changes.
For example on some taylor series we will have (-1)^k but on others we will have (-1)^k+1 and for the factorial we will have k! or sometimes 2k! etc etc. Why does this happen? Just looking for someone to point me in the right direction or give an explanation.
The different values of k, k + 1, etc. are so that the expression in the summation matches the terms in the series. Some series start with k = 0 and others start with k = 1. You can start the series with an arbitrary value of k (an integer, though) by adjusting the exponents and subscripts in the summation formula.
Physics2341313 said:
Also, are there any good summarized notes available online for the series tests, have a midterm in a few days and we have barely covered any of this stuff, so I'm kind of lost at this point.
I would try wikipedia, searching for Taylor series and/or power series. They should probably have a reasonable summary.

You can think of Taylor series as polynomials with infinitely many terms. The way they are expressed in sigma notation is arbitrary and typically aimed at simplifying the indices, but there are many ways of indexing the same series. The standard way of writing common functions in sigma notation (like exponentials and trig functions) makes the notation simple -- but is not unique.

If a series has ##(-1)^k## then the terms with ##k## odd have negative signs, and ##(-1)^{k+1}## gives terms with ##k## even negative signs. It's really just a matter of what the series looks like expanded, and then how you want to condense it.

Related to Series Tests and Taylor Series

1. What are series tests in mathematics?

Series tests are mathematical methods used to determine the convergence or divergence of infinite series. They involve evaluating the sum of an infinite series and determining whether it approaches a finite value or diverges to infinity.

2. What is the purpose of using series tests?

Series tests are used to evaluate infinite series and determine whether they converge or diverge. This information is useful in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as in calculating limits and approximations.

3. What are some common series tests used in calculus?

Some common series tests used in calculus include the comparison test, ratio test, root test, integral test, and alternating series test. These tests involve comparing the given series to known convergent or divergent series, evaluating the limit of the series, or using integral calculus techniques.

4. What is a Taylor series?

A Taylor series is a mathematical representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms, where each term is calculated based on the function's derivatives at a given point. It provides a way to approximate a function with a polynomial, making it easier to work with and evaluate.

5. How are Taylor series used in real-world applications?

Taylor series are used in various real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, and finance. They are used to approximate functions and calculate values for complex equations, making them useful in fields where precise calculations are necessary.