Series Sol'n to a DE with trig coefficient?

In summary, The conversation is about solving a differential equation using a series solution. The person has tried writing the cosine term as an infinite series and is getting a messy double summation. They are confused on how to deal with the fractional powers that result from the Cauchy product. Another person suggests using Mathematica to find the recursive expressions for the coefficients instead of doing it by hand. The conversation ends with the first person gaining a better understanding of the method used.
outhsakotad

Homework Statement

I'm trying to solve this DE: 4xy''+2y'+(cosx)y=0 using a series solution.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

See attached PDF. I tried writing the cosine term as an infinite series, but that gives me a messy double summation. And in the end, I get an index that is not an integer... Any hints on how to deal with the cosine term?

Attachments

• series.pdf
    182.2 KB · Views: 167
Physics news on Phys.org
My computer is not letting me have access to that document but I got a suggestion for you: muscle through it. But start at the end and work backwards. Since it's singular at x=0, then the solution would be valid for x>0 so say work towards solving:

[tex]4xy''+2y'+\cos(x)y=0,\quad y(1)=0,\quad y'(1)=1[/tex]

and since the roots of the indical equation are 0 and 1/2 and the difference non-integer, the solution is:

[tex]y(x)=C_1 \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n x^n+C_2 \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} b_n x^{n+1/2}[/tex]

and we obtain that solution by substituting each power series into the DE, and letting the first coefficient equal to 1 and compute all the rest recursively even though there's a double sum in there and you just have to learn how to work with a "Cauchy product of double sums".

I'll do c=0 for you, you do the messy one with all the fractional powers of x:

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n(4n^2-2n)x^{n-1}+\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \sum_{k=0}^{n} \frac{(-1)^k}{(2n)!} a_{n-k} x^{n+k}=0[/tex]

Ok, that's it. You're really not expected to reduce that further manually are you? That's just not reasonable to do in my opinion in the 21's century. It's just so simple with a CAS like Mathematica to get all the terms recursively: set a_0=1, extract all the coefficients of powers of x, solve for a_n:

Code:
nmax = 50; 
Remove[a, b]

myalist = Sum[Subscript[a, n]*(4*n^2 - 2*n)*x^(n - 1), {n, 0, nmax}] + Sum[((-1)^k/(2*k)!)*Subscript[a, n - k]*x^(n + k), 
     {n, 0, nmax}, {k, 0, n}]; 

Subscript[a, 0] = 1; 

myatable = Table[Subscript[a, n + 1] = First[Subscript[a, n + 1] /. N[Solve[Coefficient[myalist, x, n] == 0, 
         Subscript[a, n + 1]]]], {n, 0, nmax - 1}]; 

myatable = Prepend[myatable, 1]; 

f1[x_] := c1*Sum[Subscript[a, n]*x^n, {n, 0, nmax - 1}]

Once you do that for c=1/2 and find:

[tex]f2(x)=C_2 \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}b_n x^{n+1/2}[/tex]

Then solve for c1 and c2 using the initial conditions:

Code:
they[x_] := f1[x] + f2[x]
thec = NSolve[{they[1] == 0, they'[1] == 1}, {c1, c2}] // First
pa = Plot[they[x] /. thec, {x, 1, 2}]

Thanks... I'll look at it. According to my prof, we are supposed to get the recursion relation by hand. I'm just confused by the fractional indices I'm getting... :/

Ok. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have told you to cheat. You need the practice learning how to do it manually. I mean really, I found a_1, a_2, a_3 by hand initially but got dizzy tryin' to find a_4. Tell you what, how about I just use Mathematica to find the recursive expressions for the first six (this is in Mathematica Latex so I don't have to type it in):
[tex]
\left\{\left\{a_1\to -\frac{a_0}{2}\right\},\left\{a_2\to -\frac{a_1}{12}\right\},\left\{a_3\to \frac{1}{60} \left(a_0-2 a_2\right)\right\},\left\{a_4\to \frac{1}{112} \left(a_1-2 a_3\right)\right\},\left\{a_5\to \frac{-a_0+12 a_2-24 a_4}{2160}\right\},\left\{a_6\to \frac{-a_1+12 a_3-24 a_5}{3168}\right\}\right\}[/tex]

See what I mean. I don't think that's happening for me.

Also, this is what I get for the fractional part.[tex]\text{myexp2}=\left(\sum _{n=0}^{\text{nmax}} b_n(4(n+c)(n+c-1)+2(n+c))x^{n+c-1}+\sum _{n=0}^{\text{nmax}} \sum _{k=0}^n \frac{(-1)^kx^{2k}}{(2k)!} b_{n-k}x^{n+c-k}\right)\text{/.}c\to 1/2;[/tex]

and here's what the first 4 terms look like:

[tex]\sqrt{x} b_0-\frac{1}{2} x^{5/2} b_0+\frac{1}{24} x^{9/2} b_0-\frac{1}{720} x^{13/2} b_0+6 \sqrt{x} b_1+x^{3/2} b_1-\frac{1}{2} x^{7/2} b_1+\frac{1}{24} x^{11/2} b_1+20 x^{3/2} b_2+x^{5/2} b_2-\frac{1}{2} x^{9/2} b_2+42 x^{5/2} b_3+x^{7/2} b_3[/tex]

. . . worst

Also keep in mind I compared this analytic solution with the numerical solution of the IVP above and got excellent agreement in the interval [1,5] using the first 50 terms and so that gives me high confidence the series expressions above are correct.

Last edited:
Okay, it seems I'm having a conceptual problem here. When I try to find the recursion relation, I usually try to bring all the terms to have the same power of x, but I'm not sure how to deal with the "n+k" power that comes from the Cauchy Product...

That's ok for regular easy problems. When you have a double sum, or something else complicated, need to just learn to use what you have. So don't try to bring everything to the same power. I don't think you can do that with this one but maybe I'm wrong. Also, I'm approaching it the way I was taught in Rainville and Bedient. Perhaps there is another way to approach it that would make it easier to determine the recursion relations.

Last edited:
I honestly don't know how to do it another way... Could you perhaps give me a general idea of the method you are using to get the coefficients?

Ahhh... I think I'm starting to see it.

outhsakotad said:
I honestly don't know how to do it another way... Could you perhaps give me a general idea of the method you are using to get the coefficients?

I used Mathematica:

[tex]\text{myatable}=\text{Table}\left[a_{n+1}=a_{n+1}\text{/.}\text{Solve}\left[\text{Coefficient}[\text{myaexp},x,n]==0,a_{n+1}\right]\text{//}\text{First},\{n,0,\text{nmax}-1\}\right][/tex]

That is, find the coefficient of x^n, set the resulting expression equal to zero, solve for a_(n+1).

Really, I believe in doing things by hand to understand them. That's important. But I've already done a bunch of these that way and understand the concept well enough to do that. Also I'm practical: if I can't figure it out, understand or no understantd I'm still going to use Mathematica to help me find the answer.

I'm still having a lot of trouble understanding how to do it by hand. On page 1202 near the top of this document, there appears to be a general formula they derive for the coefficients. But I'm don't understand how to apply this formula. http://www.cacr.caltech.edu/~sean/applied_math.pdf And I don't see where the a_n+1 term comes from... From the Cauchy product, we have a_n's and a_n-k's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I looked at it. Suppose I write the DE then as:

[tex]y''+\frac{1/2}{x}y'+\frac{1}{x^2}\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n x^{2n+1}}{4(2n)!}y=0[/tex]

or now:

[tex]y''+\frac{P(x)}{x} y'+\frac{Q(x)}{x^2}y=0[/tex]

can we then now use that formula for z_n to compute the coefficients? Keep in mind that:

[tex]Q(x)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n x^{2n+1}}{4(2n)!}=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_n x^n[/tex] with a_n=0 for even n though.

Ah, I get it! And I'm getting the same coefficients as you for the 0 indicial root. Thanks so much!

Okay... so our s=0 coefficients match, but I'm getting y2=b0*x^(1/2)*{1-(1/6)x+(1/120)*x^2+(59/5040)*x^3+...) for the s=1/2 ones using the formula... that doesn't seem to be what you got...

Related to Series Sol'n to a DE with trig coefficient?

1. What is a series solution to a differential equation with trigonometric coefficients?

A series solution to a differential equation with trigonometric coefficients is a method of finding an approximate solution to the equation by representing the solution as a sum of trigonometric functions.

2. How is a series solution for a DE with trigonometric coefficients found?

A series solution for a DE with trigonometric coefficients is found by assuming that the solution can be expressed as a power series and substituting it into the differential equation. This results in a recursive relationship between the coefficients of the series, which can then be solved to find the values of the coefficients.

3. What are the advantages of using a series solution for a DE with trigonometric coefficients?

There are several advantages to using a series solution for a DE with trigonometric coefficients. First, it can provide an approximate solution when an exact solution is not possible. Additionally, it can often be used to find solutions to DEs that cannot be solved by other methods. Finally, it can be used to handle complicated boundary conditions that are difficult to solve using other techniques.

4. Are there any limitations to using a series solution for a DE with trigonometric coefficients?

Yes, there are limitations to using a series solution for a DE with trigonometric coefficients. This method only works for certain types of differential equations, and it may not always provide an accurate solution. Additionally, it can be time-consuming to determine the coefficients of the series, especially for more complex equations.

5. How is the accuracy of a series solution for a DE with trigonometric coefficients determined?

The accuracy of a series solution for a DE with trigonometric coefficients is determined by comparing it to the exact solution. The more terms that are included in the series, the more accurate the solution will be. However, including too many terms can also lead to computational errors, so there is a trade-off between accuracy and efficiency.