Series convergence / divergence

In summary: Alternatively, you can use the fact that for n>1, n^(1/n)-1 is strictly increasing and log(n)/n is strictly decreasing, so you can compare a larger value of n to a smaller value of n (e.g. n+1 to n) and show that the inequality still holds. In summary, the original series converges conditionally.
goraemon

Homework Statement

Does the following series converge or diverge? If it converges, does it converge absolutely or conditionally?
[itex]\sum^{\infty}_{1}(-1)^{n+1}*(1-n^{1/n})[/itex]

Homework Equations

Alternating series test

The Attempt at a Solution

I started out by taking the limit of ##a_n: Lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}(1-n^{1/n})##=1-1=0.
So via the alternating series test, the original series converges.

Next, I have to figure out whether it converges absolutely or conditionally, and this is where I'm stuck. I suppose I have to first find out whether the term ##a_n##, which is ##(1-n^{1/n})##, diverges or converges. But what test do I use for this? The limit test is silent because as I found above, the limit is zero. I've tried ratio test and limit comparison test to no avail. Root test doesn't seem to lead anywhere. It's not a geometric or telescoping series so those options are out. Maybe I could use comparison test, but I don't know what term I would use for comparison. Integral test seems really difficult. So I'm stuck and would appreciate any helpful pointers.

Physics news on Phys.org
think about [(n^(1/n)-1)/(1/n)]/n
compare to log(n)/n

Wait, so...I gather you're saying that ##\sum(-1)^{n+1}*(1-n^{1/n})=\sum(-1)^n*(n^{1/n}-1)##, so when we consider the positive term ##(n^{1/n}-1)##, it can be re-written as:

##\frac{(n^{1/n}-1)*n}{n}##, aka:

##\frac{\frac{(n^{1/n}-1)}{\frac{1}{n}}}{n}##?

And from here we do a comparison test with ##\frac{\ln n}{n}##? OK, From punching some numbers into the calculator, I can see that ##\frac{\frac{(n^{1/n}-1)}{\frac{1}{n}}}{n} > \frac{\ln n}{n}##, so via the comparison test the positive term diverges, meaning the original alternating series converges conditionally?

But if so, then I'm not sure how to show rigorously that ##\frac{\frac{(n^{1/n}-1)}{\frac{1}{n}}}{n} > \frac{\ln n}{n}##, other than to say it seems to be true for some arbitrarily large n...am I on the right track here?

^Exactly
n^(1/n)-1>=0 for all n (n=1,2,3,4,...)
x>=log(1+x) for all x (x>=0)
thus
n^(1/n)-1>log{1+[n^(1/n)-1]}=log(n)/n
∑log(n)/n diverges so too does ∑[n^(1/n)-1]

goraemon said:
But if so, then I'm not sure how to show rigorously that ##\frac{\frac{(n^{1/n}-1)}{\frac{1}{n}}}{n} > \frac{\ln n}{n}##, other than to say it seems to be true for some arbitrarily large n...am I on the right track here?

You can use derivatives to show this (increasing/decreasing functions).

Related to Series convergence / divergence

What is series convergence and divergence?

Series convergence and divergence is a concept in mathematics that refers to the behavior of an infinite series, or a sum of infinitely many terms. If a series converges, it means that the sum of all the terms in the series approaches a finite limit as the number of terms increases. If a series diverges, it means that the sum of all the terms in the series does not approach a finite limit and instead tends towards infinity or negative infinity.

How do you determine if a series is convergent or divergent?

To determine if a series is convergent or divergent, you can use various tests such as the comparison test, the ratio test, or the integral test. These tests involve analyzing the behavior of the individual terms in the series and determining if they approach zero or infinity as the number of terms increases. If the terms approach zero, the series may be convergent. If the terms approach infinity, the series may be divergent.

What is the importance of series convergence and divergence in mathematics?

Series convergence and divergence is important in mathematics as it helps us understand the behavior of infinite sums. It is used in various fields, such as calculus, probability, and physics, to analyze and solve problems involving infinite series. It also has applications in real-life scenarios, such as predicting stock market trends or calculating the population growth of a species.

What happens when a series is neither convergent nor divergent?

When a series is neither convergent nor divergent, it is said to be indeterminate. This means that the behavior of the series cannot be determined using standard convergence tests. In such cases, advanced techniques, such as Taylor series or Laurent series, may be used to analyze the series and determine its behavior.

Can a series be both convergent and divergent?

No, a series cannot be both convergent and divergent. The behavior of a series can only be either convergent or divergent. If the series approaches a finite limit, it is convergent. If the series does not approach a finite limit, it is divergent.