Sequence in Q with p-diatic metric. Show it converges to a rational

In summary, the problem is to show that the sequence s_n = Sumation (from k=0 to n) p^k converges to a rational number in Q(rationals) with the p-adic metric where p is a prime number. The speaker suggests using the fundamental theorem of arithmetic to express the limit as a product of primes and factoring out p to satisfy the convergence definition. They then question how to show the sequence converges and propose using a version of the ratio test with the p-adic absolute value. Another speaker suggests showing that s_n is Cauchy and introduces another sequence s_m with a summation upper limit of m. They choose e(epsilon
arturo_026
This is the problem I'm trying to slove:

Consider the sequence s_n = Sumation (from k=0 to n) p^k (i.e. s_n=p^0+p^1+p^2...+p^n) in Q(rationals) with the p-adic metric (p is prime).
Show that s_n converges to a rational number.[/B]

Now, I do get some intuition on showing that the number it converges to is rational by applying the fundamental theorem of arithmetic and claiming that the number it converges to can be expressed as a product of primes so that way we can factor out p to some power and satisfy the convergence definition with the p-diatic metric.
My big problem is: How can I show that s_n converges in the first place? or should i start my proof by assuming that it converges to some s, and then showing that s is rational?

Physics news on Phys.org
something I just thought of is that maybe I can apply a version of the ratio test with the p-adic absolute value in place of the normal absolute value?
So that way the p-adic abs. value of (p^k+1)/(p^k) = p-adic abs. of p which equals to 1/p [by definition of p-adic abs. value]. So this being less than 1, can I conclude that the sequence converges?

arturo_026 said:
something I just thought of is that maybe I can apply a version of the ratio test with the p-adic absolute value in place of the normal absolute value?
So that way the p-adic abs. value of (p^k+1)/(p^k) = p-adic abs. of p which equals to 1/p [by definition of p-adic abs. value]. So this being less than 1, can I conclude that the sequence converges?

Do you know a version of the ratio test that applies to p-adic numbers? If not, then I wouldn't just make one up. There's a more straightforward approach. i) show s_n is Cauchy. If so then it converges. Then write a simple formula for s_n and take it's limit.

Thank you for your response Dick.
So to prove it is Cauchy I've introduced another sequence that has a summation upper limit of m, so call it s_m. And without loss of generality let n>m. now Apropriately choosing e(epsilon) > p^(-m-1) the for m>N, I can have the p-adic absolute value of (s_n - s_m) < epsilon.

I came up with e>p^(-m-1) since p-adic abs. value of (s_n - s_m) = p-adic ((p^0+p^1+...p^n)-(p^0+p^1...+p^m)) = p-adic (p^(m+1) (1+p+...p^(n-m-1))) = p^(-m-1)

Now, to the simple formula, I think you might be referring to is (1-p^(n+1))/(1-p) so I separate this and have 1/(1-p) - p^(n+1)/(1-p) but if I take the limit of the second term, wouldn't it diverge?

arturo_026 said:
Thank you for your response Dick.
So to prove it is Cauchy I've introduced another sequence that has a summation upper limit of m, so call it s_m. And without loss of generality let n>m. now Apropriately choosing e(epsilon) > p^(-m-1) the for m>N, I can have the p-adic absolute value of (s_n - s_m) < epsilon.

I came up with e>p^(-m-1) since p-adic abs. value of (s_n - s_m) = p-adic ((p^0+p^1+...p^n)-(p^0+p^1...+p^m)) = p-adic (p^(m+1) (1+p+...p^(n-m-1))) = p^(-m-1)

Now, to the simple formula, I think you might be referring to is (1-p^(n+1))/(1-p) so I separate this and have 1/(1-p) - p^(n+1)/(1-p) but if I take the limit of the second term, wouldn't it diverge?

Not in the p-adic numbers it doesn't diverge. What does p^(n+1) converge to?

Dick said:
Not in the p-adic numbers it doesn't diverge. What does p^(n+1) converge to?

Ohhh! in the p-adic metric as n --> inf p^(n+1) goes to zero since p-adic abs. value of p^(n+1) = p^-(n+1)

Related to Sequence in Q with p-diatic metric. Show it converges to a rational

1. What is a p-diatic metric in the context of sequences in Q?

A p-diatic metric is a mathematical concept used to measure the distance between two elements in a sequence in Q (the set of rational numbers). It is defined as the absolute value of the difference between the two elements raised to the power of p, where p is a positive integer.

2. How is the convergence of a sequence in Q with a p-diatic metric related to rational numbers?

A sequence in Q converges to a rational number if its elements get closer and closer to that rational number as the sequence progresses. Using a p-diatic metric helps to measure this convergence and prove that the sequence does indeed converge to a rational number.

3. Can you provide an example of a sequence in Q with a p-diatic metric that converges to a rational number?

One example is the sequence (1/2, 2/3, 3/4, 4/5, ...) with p = 1. As p increases, the elements in the sequence get closer to the rational number 1.

4. What is the significance of proving convergence of a sequence in Q to a rational number?

Proving convergence to a rational number is important because it shows that the sequence is well-behaved and has a clear limit. This can have applications in various fields, such as finance and statistics, where rational numbers are commonly used.

5. Are there any other types of metrics that can be used to measure convergence in sequences in Q?

Yes, there are other metrics that can be used, such as the standard Euclidean metric or the Chebyshev metric. However, the p-diatic metric is particularly useful for studying sequences in Q because it allows for a more precise measurement of convergence to a rational number.