Sequence and Series Terminology

In summary, the conversation discussed the definition of sequences and the relation to functions. It was mentioned that sequences can be defined as a function ##f: \mathbb{N} \to \mathbb{R}## and also with the notation ##\left \{ a_{n} \right \}_{0}^{\infty}##. The function definition was preferred for simplicity, but it was noted that other definitions could be used, such as using pi as the input. The conversation also touched on the concepts of partial sums, series, finite series, and infinite series. The idea of using nets as a more general and useful concept was also mentioned.
Mr Davis 97
First, I would like to clear up notation and the definition for sequences. What exactly is a sequence? I read somewhere that it is defined as a function ##f: \mathbb{N} \to \mathbb{R}##. But if this is the case, why do we only define functions based on the range of the function, e.g., ##\left \{ 1, 4, 9, 16... \right \}## (which we regard as "the sequence")? We define sequences with the notation ##\left \{ a_{n} \right \}_{0}^{\infty}## too, but what does this mean in terms of the functions concept? How does this specify a function? In addition, what is the nth term's relation to the function concept, or in other words, what is the analogue of the nth term for sequences in functions? Finally, what exactly to the terms "partial sums, series, finite series, infinite series," mean? It seems as though they are mostly for the same concept.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I like the function definition. The reason we take integers is, honestly, for simplicity. You plug in 1, and you get your first term, you plug in 2, and you get your second term, etc. If you like, I suppose you could do 1/2 integers, and 1/2 would be your first term, 1 would be your second term, etc. You could also do multiples of pi/6. You plug in pi/6 and you get your first term, pi/3 and get your second term, etc. The function would have to be defined accordingly though. IMHO, just stick with the integers, because that is consistent with other definitions. If you were going to define your series to be ##\{ a_n\}_0^\infty\ \text{where}\ a_n := f(n)## and you took n to be something other than integers, what would your pi'th term be? You see how it gets conceptually sketchy there?
Partial sums are when you do a sum over a well defined range, i.e. a finite series. Ex. ##\sum\limits_{k=1}^{10} k## This is a finite series/partial sum. The equivalent infinite series would be ##\sum\limits_{k=1}^{\infty} k = -\frac{1}{12}## ;)

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
If you like, I suppose you could do 1/2 integers, and 1/2 would be your first term, 1 would be your second term, etc. You could also do multiples of pi/6. You plug in pi/6 and you get your first term, pi/3 and get your second term, etc. The function would have to be defined accordingly though.

For that concept, see the more general (and more useful) concept of a net.

micromass said:
For that concept, see the more general (and more useful) concept of a net.
Very interesting, micro.

Related to Sequence and Series Terminology

What is the difference between a sequence and a series?

A sequence is a list of numbers or terms that follow a specific pattern or rule. A series is the sum of all the terms in a sequence.

What is the first term and common difference of an arithmetic sequence?

The first term of an arithmetic sequence is the starting number, and the common difference is the fixed amount that is added or subtracted to get the next term in the sequence.

What is the first term and common ratio of a geometric sequence?

The first term of a geometric sequence is the starting number, and the common ratio is the fixed amount that is multiplied or divided to get the next term in the sequence.

What is the difference between a finite and infinite sequence?

A finite sequence has a specific number of terms, while an infinite sequence continues on forever without an end.

What is the sum of an arithmetic or geometric series?

The sum of an arithmetic series is given by the formula S = (n/2)(2a + (n-1)d), where n is the number of terms, a is the first term, and d is the common difference. The sum of a geometric series is given by the formula S = a(1-r^n)/(1-r), where a is the first term and r is the common ratio.