Seperable Differential Equation Invovling Partial Fractions

In summary: If you want an explicit expression for y, then multiply the equation by y-1 and isolate y.\left|\frac{3+2}{1-2}\right|=y-1.
MathWarrior
[itex]y' = (3+y)(1-y)[/itex]
[itex]y(0) = 2[/itex]

Attempt to solve:
[itex]\frac{dy}{dx}=(3+y)(1-y)[/itex]

[itex](3+y)(1-y)dy = dx[/itex]

[itex]\int(3+y)(1-y)dy = \int dx[/itex]

Partial Fractions:
[itex]\frac{A}{(3+y)} + \frac{B}{(1-y)}[/itex]

[itex]A(1-y)+B(3+y)[/itex]

Let y= 1 or -3

A = 1/4
B = 1/4

[itex]\frac{1}{4}\int \frac{1}{(3+y)} dy + \frac{1}{4}\int \frac{1}{(1-y)} dy[/itex]

[itex]1/4(ln(3+y)+ln(1-y)) + C = x[/itex]

Re-arranging.
[itex]ln(3+y)+ln(1-y) = 4x+C[/itex]

[itex](3+y)+(1-y) = e^{(4x+C)}[/itex]

Did I do it right so far? How do figure out y if that is the case?

Physics news on Phys.org
MathWarrior said:
Re-arranging.
[itex]ln(3+y)+ln(1-y) = 4x+C[/itex]

[itex](3+y)+(1-y) = e^{(4x+C)}[/itex]

Did I do it right so far? How do figure out y if that is the case?

You have an error here. e^(ln(3+y) + ln(1 - y)) is not equal to (3 + y) + (1 - y). Remember your properties of exponentials. From there, if you really want y as an explicit function of x, you'll need to solve the resulting quadratic.

MathWarrior said:
[itex]\frac{1}{4}\int \frac{1}{(3+y)} dy + \frac{1}{4}\int \frac{1}{(1-y)} dy[/itex]

[itex]1/4(ln(3+y)+ln(1-y)) + C = x[/itex]
You have a sign error: the integral of 1/(1-y) is -ln|1-u|
Moreover: the argument of ln has to be written as |1-y| and |3+y|.

ehild

Okay I think I fixed the mistakes mentioned.. I think but I am still unsure how to do solve for y. I tried looking up properties of exponents but not sure if I did it all right.

My new equation result is:
[itex]\frac{1}{4}(ln(3+y)-ln(1-y)+c) = x[/itex]

[itex](ln(3+y)-ln(1-y)) = 4x+c[/itex]

I know I have to use the exp operator but not sure how you do:

[itex]e^{ln(3+y)-ln(1-y)}[/itex]

I know I need to use:
[itex]\frac{a^{b}}{a^{c}} = a^{b-c}[/itex]

so is the answer:
[itex]\frac {e^{ln(3+y)}} {e^{ln(1-y)}} = e^{(4x+c)}[/itex] ??

[itex]\frac {(3+y)} {(1-y)} = e^{(4x+c)}[/itex]
How do I get y from this mess?

Last edited:
The absolute value signs can not be omitted. The solution of the de is [itex]|\frac{3+y}{1−y}|=e^{4x+c}[/itex]

Use the initial condition y=2 at t=0 to find c for the case y>1.

ehild

ehild said:
The absolute value signs can not be omitted. The solution of the de is [itex]|\frac{3+y}{1−y}|=e^{4x+c}[/itex]

Use the initial condition y=2 at t=0 to find c for the case y>1.

So I substitute in y=2 and x=0?

[itex]|\frac{3+2}{1-3}| = e^{4x+c}[/itex]

[itex]5 = e^{4x+c}[/itex]

[itex]ln(5) = 4x+c[/itex]

since x = 0
[itex]c = ln(5)[/itex] ?

MathWarrior said:
So I substitute in y=2 and x=0?

[itex]|\frac{3+2}{1-3}| = e^{4x+c}[/itex]
No,
[tex]\left|\frac{3+2}{1- 2}\right|[/tex]

[itex]5 = e^{4x+c}[/itex]

[itex]ln(5) = 4x+c[/itex]

since x = 0
[itex]c = ln(5)[/itex] ?

Yes, c=ln5. But e4x+ln5=5e4x, so you can write the solution for the given initial condition as [itex]\frac{y+3}{y-1}=5e^{4x}[/itex] if y>1, as |1-y|=y-1.
If you want an explicit expression for y, then multiply the equation by y-1 and isolate y.

ehild

Related to Seperable Differential Equation Invovling Partial Fractions

1. What is a separable differential equation involving partial fractions?

A separable differential equation involving partial fractions is a type of differential equation that can be separated into simpler fractions, each of which can be integrated separately. This type of equation is useful for modeling a wide range of physical phenomena in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering.

2. How do you solve a separable differential equation involving partial fractions?

To solve a separable differential equation involving partial fractions, you first need to separate the equation into simpler fractions. Then, you can integrate each of the fractions separately. Finally, you can combine the solutions to obtain the general solution to the original equation.

3. What are some applications of separable differential equations involving partial fractions?

There are many applications of separable differential equations involving partial fractions, including population growth and decay, chemical reactions, and radioactive decay. These equations can also be used to model the motion of objects subjected to external forces, such as in mechanics and electromagnetism.

4. Can you provide an example of a separable differential equation involving partial fractions?

One example of a separable differential equation involving partial fractions is dy/dx = (x + 1)/(x^2 + 2x + 1). This equation can be separated into dy/(x + 1) = dx/(x + 1)^2, which can then be integrated to obtain the general solution y = -1/(x + 1) + C, where C is a constant.

5. Are there any special techniques for solving separable differential equations involving partial fractions?

Yes, there are some special techniques that can be used to solve certain types of separable differential equations involving partial fractions. For example, the method of substitution can be used to solve equations involving trigonometric functions, while the method of undetermined coefficients can be used for equations involving exponential or logarithmic functions.