Separation of variables on upper half-plane issue

In summary: You do not need to make a Moebius transformation in this case. In summary, the given Cauchy problem can be solved using separation of variables, resulting in a solution of u(x,y) = \frac{1}{n^2}\sin(nx)\sinh(ny), where n is a positive integer.
loesung
Given the Cauchy problem
[tex]
\begin{cases}
u_{xx}+u_{yy}=0, & 0<y<\infty, x\in\mathbb{R} \\
u(x,0)=0 & \mbox{on }\{ x_2=0\}\\
\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}=\frac{1}{n}\sin (n y) & \mbox{on }\{ x_2=0\}\\
\end{cases}[/tex]

I am given that, by using using separation of variables, the solution ought to be
[tex]u(x,y)=\frac{1}{n^2}\sinh ny \sin nx. \hspace{0.6 in } (*)[/tex]
The upper half plane is really freaking me out . Do we need to make a (Moebius) transformation before solving? I was told to just use separation of variables, but I am not sure how to deal with an unbounded domain.

I know that the solution in general has the form

[tex]\sum_{j=0}^\infty c_j \sin(j n x )\sinh (j n x),[/tex]
In particular I am not sure how handle the coefficients here when the domain is the upper half plane. Based on the given solution above, I would expect that

[tex]c_n=\int_0^{something}\frac{1}{n}\cos{nx}\Rightarrow
\cdots \Rightarrow \frac{1}{n^2},[/tex]

(I am not sure about the limits of the integral, or if this is even correct)

So then the solution would be

[tex]u(x,y)=\frac{1}{n^2}\sin{nx}\sinh{ny}. [/tex]

The lack of any detail here just highlights that I am not sure what I am doing! I would appreciate any advice!

Thanks in advance,

Los

(by the way, this is Hadamard's example of an ill-posed problem, but that's not my issue).

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you are correct in your approach. Using separation of variables, we can write the solution as u(x,y) = \sum_{j=0}^\infty c_j \sin(j n x )\sinh (j n y). To find the coefficients, we use the given boundary conditions. For the second boundary condition, we have\frac{\partial u}{\partial y} = \sum_{j=0}^\infty j n c_j \sin(jnx)\cosh(jny)|_{y=0} = \frac{1}{n}\sin(nx). This gives us the coefficient $c_n=\frac{1}{n^2}$. Then, using this value for $c_n$, the solution is given by u(x,y) = \frac{1}{n^2}\sin(nx)\sinh(ny). This is the same result as given in (*).

Related to Separation of variables on upper half-plane issue

1. What is the upper half-plane and why is it important in separation of variables?

The upper half-plane refers to the complex plane where the imaginary part of a complex number is positive. This is important in separation of variables because it allows for the use of the Fourier transform, which is a powerful mathematical tool that can simplify the solving of differential equations.

2. How does separation of variables work in the upper half-plane?

In the upper half-plane, separation of variables involves breaking down a complex function into simpler parts, such as a product of two functions, and then solving each part separately. This approach is useful for solving partial differential equations, which can be difficult to solve using traditional methods.

3. What are the benefits of using separation of variables on the upper half-plane?

The use of separation of variables in the upper half-plane can greatly simplify the solving of differential equations, making it easier to find solutions. It also allows for the use of the Fourier transform, which can provide a more efficient and elegant solution compared to other methods.

4. Are there any limitations to using separation of variables on the upper half-plane?

While separation of variables on the upper half-plane can be a powerful tool, it is not applicable to all types of differential equations. It is most commonly used for linear partial differential equations with constant coefficients.

5. Can separation of variables on the upper half-plane be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, separation of variables on the upper half-plane has many real-world applications, particularly in physics and engineering. It can be used to solve problems involving heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and electromagnetic fields, among others.