Separation of variables in MATLAB

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using separation of variables to solve complex PDEs, but it is not always possible and there are other emerging methods that use matrix representations and linear algebra. The central term, r^2/RY, in the given PDE cannot be treated as a separate ODE and may require a different approach for solving. The conversation also mentions using boundary layer rescaling and the scholar.google.com database for finding methods to solve PDEs.
SeM
Hello, I haven't found any program that can be used to perform separation of variables on difficult PDEs. Is there such a method somewhere?

Physics news on Phys.org
Programs can numerically solve PDEs. Separation of variables is a trick that you can use to solve some types of PDEs on paper.

Hi, I wish it was so easy. If you see on literature database, there are several emerging methods for simplifying very complex PDEs using matrix reps, linear algebra and other approaches . I was wondering if anyone has the knowledge on how to to do some, or any other methods using MATLAB Or computational math software.

Thanks for the answer anyway!

NFuller said:
Programs can numerically solve PDEs. Separation of variables is a trick that you can use to solve some types of PDEs on paper.
This is the one I wanted to simplify further, but I suspect it is not possible:

$$ r^2 \frac{1}{R}\frac{\partial^2 R}{\partial r^2} - (r+2i r^2) \frac{1}{R}\frac{\partial R}{\partial r} - \frac{r^2}{RY} = \frac{1}{Y} \frac{\partial^2 Y}{\partial \theta^2}+2ir \frac{1}{Y}\frac{\partial Y}{\partial \theta}$$

I have already done separation of variables, and can't get rid of the 1/RY term.

SeM said:
I have already done separation of variables, and can't get rid of the 1/RY term.
Not all PDEs are separable, if you can't do it then a program can't do it either. Where does this PDE come from? There may already be special methods for solving it.
SeM said:
Hi, I wish it was so easy. If you see on literature database, there are several emerging methods for simplifying very complex PDEs using matrix reps, linear algebra and other approaches
What database? There are various methods for dealing with certain classes of PDEs, boundary layer rescaling comes to my mind, but no method works for everything.

It comes from a system I have solved and writing about. But I am not sure it makes physical meaning, and in order to find that out I need to solve it, and find out what that 1/RY factor does and can be trated.

I divided this into three components:

The first tw dR/dr parts as one ODE equal zero.

The strange term r^2/RY = 0

and the right hand side of the equation equal to zero. I have solved the former and the latter, but the central term, r^2/RY = 0 is not an ODE, so I am not sure its valid to extract that as an own term and treat the rest as two ODEs..

Is this OK as a method?

NFuller said:
Not all PDEs are separable, if you can't do it then a program can't do it either. Where does this PDE come from? There may already be special methods for solving it.

What database? There are various methods for dealing with certain classes of PDEs, boundary layer rescaling comes to my mind, but no method works for everything.
scholar.google.com

SeM said:
The strange term r^2/RY = 0
How do you know this is zero? This implies that either ##r## is zero or the denominator goes to infinity.
SeM said:
Is this OK as a method?
It would help to see the original PDE before you attempt separation of variables. The fact that you are having trouble likely means that separation of variables will not work here i.e. the solution cannot be written as the product of two functions with only ##r## and ##\theta## dependence.

Hi Nfueller, I don't. I was trying to find a way to work around it, as r can be zero.
The whole PDE is:$$ r^2 \frac{1}{R}\frac{\partial^2 R}{\partial r^2} - (r+2i r^2) \frac{1}{R}\frac{\partial R}{\partial r} - \frac{r^2}{RY} = \frac{1}{Y} \frac{\partial^2 Y}{\partial \theta^2}+2ir \frac{1}{Y}\frac{\partial Y}{\partial \theta}$$

Related to Separation of variables in MATLAB

1. What is separation of variables in MATLAB?

Separation of variables is a method used in MATLAB to solve differential equations by breaking them down into simpler equations that can be solved individually.

2. How does separation of variables work in MATLAB?

In MATLAB, separation of variables works by assuming that the solution to the differential equation can be expressed as a product of two functions, each of which only depends on one of the variables in the equation.

3. When should I use separation of variables in MATLAB?

Separation of variables is most useful for solving linear differential equations with constant coefficients. It can also be used for nonlinear equations, but the process can be more complex.

4. What is the general process for using separation of variables in MATLAB?

The general process for using separation of variables in MATLAB involves first rearranging the differential equation into a form where the variables are separated on opposite sides. Then, each side is set equal to a constant, and these constants are used to solve for the individual functions. The final solution is then obtained by combining the two functions with their corresponding constants.

5. Are there any limitations to using separation of variables in MATLAB?

Yes, there are limitations to using separation of variables in MATLAB. This method can only be used for linear differential equations with constant coefficients, and it may not always produce an exact solution. It also requires that the equation can be rearranged into a form where the variables are separated on opposite sides.