Separation of Variables: How to integrate (x+2y)y'=1 y(0)=2?

In summary, the conversation was about solving a differential equation using separation of variables. The solution involved using the substitution u=2y+x and then separating the variables in the resulting equation. There was some confusion about the final answer, but it was determined that both solutions were valid.
jenettezone

Homework Statement

Use separation of variables to solve (x+2y)y'=1 y(0)=2

Homework Equations

u=2y+x >>I did not know how to start this, so i looked at the back of the book and it said to use that substitution
y=(u-x)/2, du=2dy+dx, dy=(du-dx)/2

The Attempt at a Solution

so i got the following:

dy/dx=1/(x+2y)
(du-dx)/(2dx)=1/(x+2(u+x)/2)
(du-dx)/(2dx)=1/u

I could not separate the variables from here. Also, according to the back of the book, the answer is supposed to be 2y-2ln|2+x+2y|+4+2ln2=0. But the term -2ln|2+x+2y| has both x and y variables, so aren't the variables not separated? That still qualifies as a solution by Separation of Variables?

Physics news on Phys.org
dx/dx=1, so you last equation is du/dx-1/2=1/u. Can you separate u and x in that? And, no, the equation doesn't separate in y and x, but it does in u and x and I think that counts as a 'separation of variables' solution after the substitution.

I finally solved it, thank you! :smile: :smile: :smile:

I got a different answer using linear differential equations.

dy/dx = 1/(x + 2y)
dx/dy = x + 2y

dx/dy - x = 2y

The answer i got was: x = -2y -2 + 6e^(y-2)

Differentiating it again returns me to the original differential

Related to Separation of Variables: How to integrate (x+2y)y'=1 y(0)=2?

1. What is separation of variables?

Separation of variables is a mathematical technique used to solve differential equations. It involves separating the dependent variables and expressing them as a product of two functions, and then integrating both sides separately.

2. How do you use separation of variables to integrate (x+2y)y' = 1?

To use separation of variables to integrate (x+2y)y' = 1, we first separate the variables on both sides of the equation, giving us (x+2y)dx = dy. Then, we integrate both sides separately, with respect to x and y respectively. This will give us the general solution to the differential equation.

3. What is the initial condition in the given problem?

The initial condition in this problem is y(0) = 2. This means that when x = 0, y = 2. Initial conditions are used to find the specific solution to a differential equation, as the general solution can have multiple possible solutions.

4. How do you apply the initial condition to the solution of the differential equation?

To apply the initial condition, we substitute the given values into the general solution. In this case, we would substitute x = 0 and y = 2 into our solution for y, and then solve for the constant of integration. This will give us the specific solution to the differential equation.

5. Can separation of variables be used to solve any differential equation?

No, separation of variables can only be used to solve certain types of differential equations, specifically those that can be expressed as two functions multiplied together. Other techniques, such as substitution or integration by parts, may be needed to solve other types of differential equations.