Separable Equation - Notation Question w/ Infinitesimals

In summary, the conversation discusses two different styles of solving a separable equation and the question of which one is more proper. The first method, using infinitesimals, is commonly used but may not be strictly correct according to the DE teacher. The second method, shown on the Wikipedia page, is a way to prove the validity of the first method. It is not necessary to use the second method every time, but it is important to understand and be familiar with the first notation.
neporuoydnim
Please see below link for the two different styles of solving a separable equation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separation_of_variables#Ordinary_differential_equations_.28ODE.29

Which one is more proper? Why? My DE teacher told me that strictly speaking it's wrong to use the first method because infinitesimals do not have the same properties as other algebraic quantities and therefore can't be multiplied across then canceled so simply.

Thank you for your time. This is driving me crazy. I don't like to do my homework until I figure out the details.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I thnk you need to get familiar with the first notation, whatever your teacher says about it, because that's what nearly everybody uses nearly all of the time.

Notation is just making marks on a piece of paper (or a computer screen). What really matters is that you are doing valid mathematical operations - though of course a good notation makes it easy to write down valid operations, and avoid doing something wrong by accident.

You can think of the second version on the Wiki page as a way to prove that the notation in the first version really does correspond to correct math. You don't need to prove a math theorem over and over again every time you use it. Once it's proved, it stays proved for ever. You don't need to write out all the details of the second method for every ODE that you solve, any more than you need to prove Pythagoras's theorem again every time you use a right angled triangle in your math work.

Related to Separable Equation - Notation Question w/ Infinitesimals

1. What is a separable equation?

A separable equation is a type of differential equation where the variables can be separated into two functions that are only dependent on one variable each.

2. What does the notation in a separable equation with infinitesimals mean?

The notation in a separable equation with infinitesimals typically includes the symbol dy/dx, where dy and dx represent infinitesimal changes in the dependent and independent variables, respectively. This notation is used to represent the slope of a curve at a specific point.

3. How do you solve a separable equation with infinitesimals?

To solve a separable equation with infinitesimals, you first need to separate the variables and integrate both sides of the equation. This will result in an equation where the dependent and independent variables are on opposite sides. Then, you can solve for the dependent variable by taking the inverse of the function on the dependent variable's side, using the initial conditions given in the problem.

4. Are infinitesimals real numbers?

No, infinitesimals are not considered real numbers in mathematics. They are used as a concept to represent a quantity that is infinitely small, but not equal to zero.

5. What are some real-world applications of separable equations with infinitesimals?

Separable equations with infinitesimals are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to model and solve problems involving rates of change, such as in motion and growth problems. They can also be used in economics and finance to model growth and decay of investments and populations.