Separable Differential Equation

In summary, Homework Statement The student is trying to solve a separable differential equation, but is getting lost. Dr. D offers help, and the student eventually solves the equation. However, they get stuck on one line and need Dr. D to show them what they should be doing.
lokal704

Homework Statement

Solve the separable differential equation
\frac{dx}{dt} = \frac{6}{x} ,
and find the particular solution satisfying the initial condition
x(0) = 7.

x(t) = .

Homework Equations

\[ \frac{dy}{dt} = ky \]

The Attempt at a Solution

lnx=6

x=e^6

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't interpret you attempt at LaTeX (I can't do it either), but somewhere in your integration you lost the time dependence. That is essentially what has gone wrong in your solution.

Dr. D is correct, as it looks like you forgot to actually perform a separation of variables. To do this, you get all the x's and dx's to one side and all the t's and dt's two one side. Then you integrate both sides, and after some simplifying, you will use your initial condition to solve for your integration constant.

The relevant equation you posted is not the same here, because you have x in the denominator, not the numerator.

To do [itex]\LaTeX[/itex] on the Physics Forums, you enclose your [itex]\LaTeX[/itex] within come code brackets. For example:
[tex] \frac{dx}{dt} = \frac{6}{x} [/tex]
Click on the graphic to see the code. Use itex if you want your graphics to fit on the same line as your text.

dx/dy = 6/x ,
x(0) = 7.

lokal704 said:
dx/dy = 6/x ,
x(0) = 7.

Yes. We know what to do, but you must show us some work. You just posted what you have already posted, except switching your t to a y. Did you try what I mentioned? Do you know how to perform separation of variables?

Follow my original advice. If you get stuck, show us what work you've done or tried, and then we'll go from there.

[tex]\intx/6[/tex]

= 6*ln(x)

0=6ln(7)

0=11.6755

x(t)=6ln(t)+11.6755

I have no idea where I am going wrong

lokal704 said:
[tex]\int x/6= 6*ln(x)[/tex]

Right here! The integral of x/6 is not 6*ln(x). I don't understand the rest of your equations.

I will get you started:
[tex]
\begin{align*}
\frac{dx}{dt} &= \frac{6}{x} \\
x \,dx &= 6 \,dt \tag{\text{the separation of variables}} \\
\int x \,dx &= \int 6 \,dt \tag{\text{integrate both sides}}
\end{align*}
[/tex]

Now see if you can finish finding the solution. Remember that whatever you get as a solution, then you should check that it actually is a solution. If it doesn't satisfy the differential equation and initial condition you were given, then it's not a solution.

You should know that the differential equation
[tex]\frac{dx}{dt} = \frac{6}{x}[/tex]
means that the derivative of some function x(t) is 6/x(t). We're solving for that function x(t) (a solution to the differential equation), which is a function of t.

Look really hard at the line that n!kofeyn has labeled (the separation of variables). This seems to have been the step that was eluding you, and it is nothing more than algebra!

Related to Separable Differential Equation

1. What is a separable differential equation?

A separable differential equation is a type of differential equation where the variables can be separated into two distinct functions, one containing the dependent variable and the other containing the independent variable. This allows for the equation to be solved by integrating both sides separately.

2. How do you solve a separable differential equation?

To solve a separable differential equation, you first need to rearrange the equation to have the dependent variable and its derivative on one side, and the independent variable and its derivative on the other side. Then, you can integrate both sides separately with respect to their respective variables and add a constant of integration. This will give you the general solution, which can be further simplified by solving for the constant using initial conditions.

3. Why are separable differential equations important?

Separable differential equations are important because they are used to model many real-world phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They allow us to understand and predict the behavior of systems that change over time, making them a powerful tool in scientific research and problem-solving.

4. Can all differential equations be solved using separation of variables?

No, not all differential equations can be solved using separation of variables. Only a specific type of differential equation, known as a separable differential equation, can be solved using this method. Other types of differential equations may require different techniques such as substitution, variation of parameters, or series solutions.

5. What are some common applications of separable differential equations?

Some common applications of separable differential equations include modeling population growth, radioactive decay, chemical reactions, and the flow of fluids and electricity. They are also used in the fields of mechanics, thermodynamics, and economics to describe and predict the behavior of various systems.