Semiconductors, number density of charge carriers.

In summary, the conversation was about a third part of a homework problem that involved substituting numbers and multiplying by density, but the correct answer was not achieved. The issue was resolved by remembering to include the number of holes as charge carriers and using the correct room temperature of 298K.
elevenb

Homework Statement

98wvoy.png

It's the third part which I'm stuck on.

Homework Equations

gif.latex?\frac{N_{1}}{N_{0}}=e^{-\frac{E_{1}-E_{0}}{KT}}.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

I've substituted in all the numbers and, multiplied by the density but I am still not getting the correct answer; where a I going wrong?

I got

6.13*(10^11) m^-3

The answer given is

1.6*(10^12) m^-3

Physics news on Phys.org
"Third part" means the undoped silicon?
mc94 said:
I've substituted in all the numbers and, multiplied by the density but I am still not getting the correct answer; where a I going wrong?
There is no way to tell if you just show your answer instead of the actual work.
What did you use as room temperature?

mfb said:
"Third part" means the undoped silicon?
There is no way to tell if you just show your answer instead of the actual work.
What did you use as room temperature?

I took 298K as room temperature; and yes sorry I meant the part with the undoped silicon.

That is the number of electrons. You also have holes as charge carriers.

I get the given answer as rounded result with 300K instead of 298K.

Likes 1 person
mfb said:
That is the number of electrons. You also have holes as charge carriers.

I get the given answer as rounded result with 300K instead of 298K.

Ahh the holes! I completely forgot, kicking myself now! Thank you!

Related to Semiconductors, number density of charge carriers.

1. What are semiconductors and how do they work?

Semiconductors are materials that have electrical conductivity between that of a conductor and an insulator. They are usually made of elements from groups III and V of the periodic table, such as silicon and germanium. The number density of charge carriers in semiconductors can be controlled by adding impurities, which allows them to be used in a wide range of electronic devices.

2. What is the significance of the number density of charge carriers in semiconductors?

The number density of charge carriers in semiconductors determines their electrical conductivity. This is because as the number density of charge carriers increases, so does the number of free electrons or holes available to conduct electricity.

3. How does doping affect the number density of charge carriers in semiconductors?

Doping is the process of intentionally adding impurities to a semiconductor in order to alter its electrical properties. By adding impurities, the number density of charge carriers can be increased or decreased, depending on the type of impurities added. This allows for the creation of both n-type and p-type semiconductors, which have different electrical properties.

4. How is the number density of charge carriers measured in semiconductors?

The number density of charge carriers in semiconductors can be measured using various techniques, such as Hall effect measurements, resistivity measurements, and capacitance-voltage measurements. These methods involve applying an electric field or voltage to the semiconductor and measuring the resulting changes in current or voltage.

5. What are some practical applications of semiconductors with different number density of charge carriers?

Semiconductors with different number density of charge carriers have a wide range of practical applications in electronics. For example, n-type semiconductors are used in transistors, while p-type semiconductors are used in diodes. Doping can also be used to create semiconductor devices such as solar cells, LEDs, and integrated circuits.